PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Very disappointing

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a huge difference between trading down from 20 and trading down from nearly 30. That's why we couldn't get a better than a 4th from SF.

Very good deal though. Even with some improvement, the 49ers have a tough schedule and are basically fighting for a playoff spot at best. That should give us a pick in the low 20's in a much stronger draft.

Now we don't pick for awhile, but expect BB to jump up if a value player falls, as we have too many 2nd day picks.

BTW, Merriweather is gonna be a stud for us. The one thing our D has lacked the past 2 years are big plays from our safeties. Merriweather is a big time playmaker, and should be a big threat for opposing offenses.

They are not getting a 2008 first rounder. They already had that, a monkey could move a first round pick to the following year for a first round pick. Most teams are looking to improve now.

Not sure I understand your reasoning here. They will have two first round picks next year, theirs and SF's. While it is not improving this season, it will be next season...and for several years to come. That counts too.

Most teams are looking to improve now at any cost because they have accomplished nothing, proven nothing. We have, and can afford to play for the long term. This isn't day trading.

It seems a great many posters have learned nothing from the Pats front office. It's all about the long view. Why can't people understand that? Moving up, potentially, 15 spots in next years 1st round from this years first round is a no freaking brainer. They somehow managed to get a 4th rounder on TOP of that, too. Geez, we're rooting for the smartest, most efficient organization in the NFL all this time and still people don't understand (no matter how much they may claim to do so).

Unfortunately, we DO understand. What YOU don't understand is that many of us ARE looking long term. And looking at the fact that the Patriots continue to be extremely thin at LB and that the Pats continue to do nothing to address the situation by bringing in some young players. Bruschi has all but said that this is his last year. Vrabel only has a couple years to go. Seau, if he's re-signed, is what, 37? At some point, you have to bite the bullet and start developing talent yourself at that spot. You can't just keep throwing money at Free Agents. And the Patriots proved that with Chad Brown and Monty Beisel.

The Jets came away with the best CB on the board when they started with a pick one lower than the Pats.

the PATS do not pick until almost the end of the 3rd round.
Maybe they will find a gem...but it seems like they could have done better

I am not a JETS fan.

On this board if you ever dare to question anything that BB/Pioli do you get attacked...it always happens

You keep using what the Jets did as an example about I don't get what is so great about what the Jets did. They did get a very good corner, but they had to give up half of their draft picks to do it. I don't get what you're point is.

We got a better pick next year in a better draft plus an early fourth. Most of us wanted a 1st next year and wanted Meriweather or Griffin

1st Meriweather
2nd Welker

Pats one:

perhaps you should stick to the topic rather than personal shots.

Are you happy with this years draft so far?

The Jets came away with the best CB on the board when they started with a pick one lower than the Pats.

the PATS do not pick until almost the end of the 3rd round.
Maybe they will find a gem...but it seems like they could have done better

I am not a JETS fan.

On this board if you ever dare to question anything that BB/Pioli do you get attacked...it always happens

Look what the jets did for example

I've read enough of your posts to know that you're avoiding in the first quote and lying in the second.

Would you like me to post a list of all your posted threads to show why I refuse to lend any credence to this one?

There is a huge difference between trading down from 20 and trading down from nearly 30. That's why we couldn't get a better than a 4th from SF.

Dallas didn't trade down from 20. They traded UP from #4 of the 2nd round. So the whole basis of your post is BUNK.

Very good deal though. Even with some improvement, the 49ers have a tough schedule and are basically fighting for a playoff spot at best. That should give us a pick in the low 20's in a much stronger draft.

Now we don't pick for awhile, but expect BB to jump up if a value player falls, as we have too many 2nd day picks.

Sorry, it was a crappy deal. If you want to think it was good, so be it. But it wasn't. Not when Dallas paid out a 3rd and a 5th to move up to # 26 from the #4 spot of the 2nd round.

We got a better pick next year in a better draft plus an early fourth. Most of us wanted a 1st next year and wanted Meriweather or Griffin

1st Meriweather
2nd Welker

Wow a better pick in a better draft :eek:

Could you tell me what tonights lottery numbers will be. It seems you can see into the future.

So I'm thinking...BB and SP are expecting the Patriots to be very good for several years to come...which means that there would be a strong chance that NE would lack a high draft pick for some time. Perhaps they felt it was time take a chance on SF's pick, and move into the top tier of the draft for another real impact player, one they would never have a shot at.

That's dead on!!

PATS 1- you are a moderator.

I suppose if you can't make an intelligent discussion about the topic

call people a liar.

That is a great way to talk sports.

Grow up

Some thoughts on why I like this pick.

The colts can win the superbowl with high powered offense and good defensive coaching. So the need for a defensive back will become likely.

Our FS pick might not be the answer for high powered offense. But drafting a FS and teach him, will increase the probability that we step closer to the answer for a high powered offense.

If you look at the rest other 8 picks from 25-32 we dont need. Maybe Anthony spencer that dallas grabed, but we already have Seymour(awesome!) so we have the luxury to pick at FS.

8 picks out of 32 total picks are defensives back, so 1/4 of the NFL teams out there are using there 1st round to stop high powered offense.

In those 8 teams that picked a defensive back, only 2 teams have a what you would consider high power offense. But they cant match us, especially when we have stallworth.

So of all the teams that picked a DB, we came out on top because we have a high powered offense that non of them can match, and we matched them by picking a FS just like they picked a FS in the first round.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, we DO understand. What YOU don't understand is that many of us ARE looking long term. And looking at the fact that the Patriots continue to be extremely thin at LB and that the Pats continue to do nothing to address the situation by bringing in some young players. Bruschi has all but said that this is his last year. Vrabel only has a couple years to go. Seau, if he's re-signed, is what, 37? At some point, you have to bite the bullet and start developing talent yourself at that spot. You can't just keep throwing money at Free Agents. And the Patriots proved that with Chad Brown and Monty Beisel.

So are they supposed to draft a LB that they don't really like just for the sake of drafting one? I'd much rather get a player that they know can contribute in this system than a player who might or might not but addresses an area of need. And we have a bunch of day two picks, so there's a good chance we will be drafting for linebacker there, with a couple of prospects who could turn into good players. The Patriots have won three Superbowls without a single linebacker who was selected in the first round.

Dallas didn't trade down from 20. They traded UP from #4 of the 2nd round. So the whole basis of your post is BUNK.

Sorry, it was a crappy deal. If you want to think it was good, so be it. But it wasn't. Not when Dallas paid out a 3rd and a 5th to move up to # 26 from the #4 spot of the 2nd round.

Well, I think that is a comparable move. We have to remember that this SF pick is variable, and that makes its value uncertain. SF might indeed improve and make the playoffs...or they could end up like Miami this year, and sink back into mediocrity. So there's a risk, involved, and we might come out significant winners. Seattle's pick this year was a bit more set--but look at Pitt last year, SB winners last year, missed playoffs this season.

A potential top 15, or top 10, pick in next years draft was worth more to them than anything in this year's draft. It's not about NEED, rather, it's all about value. That's what YOU, and everyone else don't understand. This snarky little attitude about not having picks to fawn over every other year when the Pats trade out of the 1st round is so predictable.

Now, is it a lock that the pick will be that high next year? Certainly not. Is there a fairly good chance? You bet. A chance to jump up over 15 spots in the 1st round of a draft superseded the whole "next year's 1st is worth a 2nd" philosophy. For most organizations, those opportunities don't come around very often and the Pats seem to have figured out a way to keep that trend going. Get with the times. Stop complaining. Barely out of the 1st round and everything is going to pieces in some fans' eyes. Geez.

That is HORSECRAP. I, and many others here, question and criticize moves by the Pats. You're getting killed on here b/c your gripes are not LEGIT. There's a difference.

Comparing teams trades during the draft is dumb. The Cowboys could rape the Browns because if Cleveland didn't get that pick then the Chiefs at the next pick take Quinn. Also the Browns probably thought of Quinn as a Top 10 player that they would get at 22. Some would call this great value. Thats why the Boys raped the Browns.

I can't see the future but if people honestly think that the 49ers are going to the NFC championship game next season they should get their head examined. Even in a crappy conference the 49ers aren't one of the top teams in the NFC.

Money is also an issue. Drafting a LB and paying him first round money this year to be a backup probably isn't an investment the Pats wanted to make.

Free agency was also a reason for the trade. We had a monster offseason signing guys and while getting a LB or DB and getting yonger we did alot in free agency to improve the team which allows you to stock up future picks to continue to improve your team year after year.

That is HORSECRAP. I, and many others here, question and criticize moves by the Pats. You're getting killed on here b/c your gripes are not LEGIT. There's a difference.

And this is the way it tends to be. I refuse to give him what he wants.

With that said, this is my last post in this thread.

Guys relax...the 1st day isn't even over yet. Besides BB said on ESPN it was about value...if you use the chart the 28th pick is worth 660. The 4th rounder is worth 74. Which means if the 49ers won the SB next year their pick would be worth 590. If its the 20th pick next year its worth 850...do the math.

the only thing I would complain about BB/pioli this year around is the outcome of the welker trade.

If the value for the 2nd round pick for welker is really good, then that sucks because I would rather use the 2nd roudnd pick to grab a WR in that slot and trade up to grab maybe a better overall defensive back, one that is not injured easily, with good game impact and stamina.

but time will tell.

I wish Jimmy Johnson had kept his damn value chart to himself. Everybody with a computer thinks they know the 'value(puke)" of every pick. The value isn't necessarily in where you pick, it's WHO is available when you pick and who else wants him.

Dallas got lucky and were in the right place at the right time. They were able to get max value because a guy another team coveted slid to them. Next year everybody will be thrilled that we have two firsts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes