PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

VrabelJr's Index of Forum Cliches

An LT yes. Onwenu handled TJ Watt all night.
TJ Watt is a power guy and Onwenu does OK in those situations. Against a speed rusher, like last week, Onwenu had a bad game. We need a RT that can handle both speed and power. Onwenu is a right guard.

And yes we need a LT too.

TJ Watt is a power guy and Onwenu does OK in those situations. Against a speed rusher, like last week, Onwenu had a bad game. We need a RT that can handle both speed and power. Onwenu is a right guard.

And yes we need a LT too.
The guy has given up one sack all year. You'd be hard-pressed to reproduce that. Hard to find a guy that can do everything well there. We are stocked at the guard positions, I'd keep Onwenu there especially because of the benefit to the running game.

Besides, with a QB that steps up into the pocket, you let those edge rushers get downfield all they want

1000s of family owned businesses in America are run by families and passed down through the generations. Lots of family businesses hire extended family members. Nepotism implies playing favorites, I do not see that. It appears as though the BB haters throw around "nepotism" to cast a negative light on BB, but think it is fine for the local pizza joint to hire their kids to work there.

Why can't people be happy about a family business?
BB is an employee. Not the owner.

So. Your point?
I can't bring my kids into my place of employment and train them to do what I do for a living. Why should BB be allowed to do that?

If he wanted to get his kids jobs with other teams, I'm fine with it. But having his kids on the team he's running is a bad look. Whether they're breaking down film or hosing out the showers, the perception is that BB is always going to show his kids favoritism.

I can't bring my kids into my place of employment and train them to do what I do for a living. Why should BB be allowed to do that?

If he wanted to get his kids jobs with other teams, I'm fine with it. But having his kids on the team he's running is a bad look. Whether they're breaking down film or hosing out the showers, the perception is that BB is always going to show his kids favoritism.

Because you company ownership does not allow it and the Patriots' ownership does allow it. Different companies have different rules. Kind of obvious.

A bad look is subjective. The Patriots ownership doesn't think it is a bad look.

You should start your own company and run it the right way as a beacon for all to see and understand what are the best business practices.

Because you company ownership does not allow it and the Patriots' ownership does allow it. Different companies have different rules. Kind of obvious.

A bad look is subjective. The Patriots ownership doesn't think it is a bad look.

You should start your own company and run it the right way as a beacon for all to see and understand what are the best business practices.
Favoritism and nepotism have bad connotations. It's not purely subjective.

Lol @ the notion Bill should decide the next coach.
Would be a pretty entertaining arm wrestling match between Josh and Matty P on Bill’s boat

Favoritism and nepotism have bad connotations. It's not purely subjective.

You feel one way. The Patriots' ownership feels differently. That means it is subjective.

You should start your own company and use it as an example to show everyone the right way to run a company. Standing on the sidelines criticizing others is not a good look.

You feel one way. The Patriots' ownership feels differently. That means it is subjective.

You should start your own company and use it as an example to show everyone the right way to run a company. Standing on the sidelines criticizing others is not a good look.
Nah, I'm not the owner or management type. I prefer to get my hands dirty.

There are plenty of examples of companies not doing the whole nepotism thing. Why should I start my own company to prove that it sucks when there are plenty of examples out there showing that it does?

The fact is, many people do exactly this, and they also tip the scales to have their connections hired reciprocally. I hate this. It's practically the definition of nepotism and the insider's circle. We had a family member in position to do just this sort of thing and he refused on principle. Many others in the family resented him greatly for it since they knew very well it was common practice.

I know someone who runs the career services department at a local university and to hear him speak of what he does, it's clear that the school leverages its connections by providing this service to connected locals. In other words, the office isn't there to connect all students, but instead to maintain its local pipeline. I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine.

Nah, I'm not the owner or management type. I prefer to get my hands dirty.

There are plenty of examples of companies not doing the whole nepotism thing. Why should I start my own company to prove that it sucks when there are plenty of examples out there showing that it does?

You throw shade at Tom Brady, BB, and the Kraft ownership. I am curious why you post on the PatsFans website?

Yes. When he dies there should be an auction for the team.
Because the owner is dead and cannot pass it down to his relatives.
I dunno. Why can't BB have his kids coaching on the team? Why does nepotism exist? It's ridiculous to think that equating BB having his kids coach is the same as Jonathan taking over for Bob when he passes.
I'm pretty sure Jonathan is on the will to take over if Bob were to pass tomorrow. Jonathan should be able to take over if Bob wants it - it's his property. Just like when family passes real estate, business or other property down to children. I don't think you'd want an auction if you Family owned an NFL franchise.

Regarding nepotism, I'm not a fan of it for the most part. There are rare exceptions though. My best friend was not that exception. His Dad knows a lot of people and opened doors for him his whole life. He worked at his Dad's business (a big operation) in our 20's and my friend would tell me that he could tell the employees resented him because of the favoritism he gets. There was a time he messed up pretty badly, but nothing happened to him because.... you know why. However, it did get to a point where his Dad felt it wasn't good for his son to be there and just opened a door for him elsewhere.

However, Bill has close to 200 games coached without Tom Brady as his QB and he simply is not a winning coach. In full seasons without Tom Brady he has 3 winning seasons to 8 losing ones. That's just a fact.

BB is just not a winning coach without Brady. And it's a substantial sample size. It's 11 seasons.

These are the starting QB's, BB had in those 11 Brady-less seasons (including the first 4 games of 2016):

1991: Bernie Kosar
1992: Bernie Kosar/Mike Tomczak/Todd Philcox
1993: Vinny Testaverde/Bernie Kosar/Todd Philcox
1994: Vinny Testaverde/Mark Rypien
1995: Vinny Testaverde/Eric Zeier
2000: Drew Bledsoe
2001: Drew Bledsoe (1.8 games and one playoff half)/Tom Brady
2007: Matt Cassell/(one half)
2016: Jimmy Garopollo (1.5 games)/Jacoby Brissett (2.5 games including one with the inability to grip a football)
2020: Cam Newton/Brian Hoyer (with COVID screwing things up)
2021: Mac Jones
2022: Mac Jones/Bailey Zappe
2023: Mac Jones/Bailey Zappe

Out of this list...only 3 QB's started a Superbowl with 1 winning it.

These are the starting QB's, BB had in those 11 Brady-less seasons (including the first 4 games of 2016):

1991: Bernie Kosar
1992: Bernie Kosar/Mike Tomczak/Todd Philcox
1993: Vinny Testaverde/Bernie Kosar/Todd Philcox
1994: Vinny Testaverde/Mark Rypien
1995: Vinny Testaverde/Eric Zeier
2000: Drew Bledsoe
2001: Drew Bledsoe (1.8 games and one playoff half)/Tom Brady
2007: Matt Cassell/(one half)
2016: Jimmy Garopollo (1.5 games)/Jacoby Brissett (2.5 games including one with the inability to grip a football)
2020: Cam Newton/Brian Hoyer (with COVID screwing things up)
2021: Mac Jones
2022: Mac Jones/Bailey Zappe
2023: Mac Jones/Bailey Zappe

Out of this list...only 3 QB's started a Superbowl with 1 winning it.
First off their is a lot wrong with this. Mark Rypien, Drew Bledsoe, Jimmy G, and Cam Newton all started Super Bowls.

Second off, having a QB who appeared in a Super Bowl is not a prerequisite to having a winning record or winning more than one playoff game. Marvin Lewis has a winning record despite never having a QB who appeared in a Super Bowl over his whole career. Belichick as you mentioned has 3. Sean McDermott has a winning record without ever having a QB who appeared in a Super Bowl and he won 4 playoff games in 6 seasons. Sean McVay had Goff and Matt Stafford (who never won **** his entire career) and got both those underachievers to winning playoff games and appearing in Super Bowls.

I'm sorry but I can't really take these excuses seriously, especially when Bill was building all these teams The only time he had a GM overseeing him was in his first year in Cleveland. ****ing Daboll just won a playoff game with Daniel Jones last year and equaled Belichick's number of playoff wins without Brady with that piece of junk at QB. Mike Vrabel has Tannehill and has a winning record and more playoff wins than Bill does without Brady. Kevin Stefanski who sucked found a way to win a playoff game with Baker Mayfield. d%#*!@t, Pederson had Nick Foles take his team through a playoff run and did more with him in one season than Bill ever did without Brady.

It's just a fact, Bill Belichick, who has had completely control of every roster he's been HC of since 1992, has a losing record and 1 playoff win in 11 full seasons without Tom Brady. That's a big enough sample size to call it what it is. The fact that he's had 4 QB's capable of getting to Super Bowls in that time frame isn't nearly the excuse you think it is. If anything it's an even bigger negative when other people did more without a QB who made the Super Bowl, let alone 4.

Also Matt Cassel was in 2008 not 2007.

I don't even know what you are trying to prove on this.

First off their is a lot wrong with this. Mark Rypien, Drew Bledsoe, Jimmy G, and Cam Newton all started Super Bowls.

Second off, having a QB who appeared in a Super Bowl is not a prerequisite to having a winning record or winning more than one playoff game. Marvin Lewis has a winning record despite never having a QB who appeared in a Super Bowl over his whole career. Belichick as you mentioned has 3. Sean McDermott has a winning record without ever having a QB who appeared in a Super Bowl and he won 4 playoff games in 6 seasons. Sean McVay had Goff and Matt Stafford (who never won **** his entire career) and got both those underachievers to winning playoff games and appearing in Super Bowls.

I'm sorry but I can't really take these excuses seriously, especially when Bill was building all these teams The only time he had a GM overseeing him was in his first year in Cleveland. ****ing Daboll just won a playoff game with Daniel Jones last year and equaled Belichick's number of playoff wins without Brady with that piece of junk at QB. Mike Vrabel has Tannehill and has a winning record and more playoff wins than Bill does without Brady. Kevin Stefanski who sucked found a way to win a playoff game with Baker Mayfield. d%#*!@t, Pederson had Nick Foles take his team through a playoff run and did more with him in one season than Bill ever did without Brady.

It's just a fact, Bill Belichick, who has had completely control of every roster he's been HC of since 1992, has a losing record and 1 playoff win in 11 full seasons without Tom Brady. That's a big enough sample size to call it what it is. The fact that he's had 4 QB's capable of getting to Super Bowls in that time frame isn't nearly the excuse you think it is. If anything it's an even bigger negative when other people did more without a QB who made the Super Bowl, let alone 4.

Also Matt Cassel was in 2008 not 2007.

I don't even know what you are trying to prove on this.

Regular Season
PlayerwinslossesRegular Season
Bernie Kosar6101991
Mike Tomczak441992
Bernie Kosar251992
Todd Philcox101992
Vinny Testaverde331993
Bernie Kosar331993
Todd Philcox131993
Vinny Testaverde941994
Mark Rypien211994
Vinny Testaverde481995