PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Undrafted Free Agent Signings (all 32 teams)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Undrafted Free Agent Signings

Wes Bunting from National Football Post had Tarpinian ranked ahead of Herzlich as one of the 5 UDFA OLB to grab. Tarpinian was the Gatorade Player of the Year in Nebraska as a HS option QB. He runs a 4.56 and is a converted S. Suggests he has some coverage skills. Always seemed to be hurt. Made it back for Iowa's Bowl game to start at OLB.

"Always seemed to be hurt"

That's what I am worried about. Hope the guy can stay healthy....But....in BB we trust

Last edited:

Good Luck to Mark......Hope he makes their final roster...

Dire is a strange word. We have rated the potential of these centers much higher than belichick. I think that it is just that simple.

Perhaps none of the centers and OG/C's are worth having, as was the case when we drafted Ohrnberger in the 4th round. The patriots certainly had two opportunities late in the draft to bring in any of the centers that dante thought had Practice Squad potential.

QUESTION ONE - 2011 NEED?
Does Belichick see a need at center? Perhaps he is fine with Koppen, Wendell, Connolly, and with Ohrnberger likely not even to make the team unless Cannon is put on the PUP list.

QUESTION TWO - DEVELOPING A CENTER FOR 2012?
Perhaps Belichick is expecting to deal with this next year. Depending on this year, he may be fine with Koppne or Wendell. He may use a high draft pick for a center (seems most likely). And/or, he might bring in a seasoned vet in the NEXT offseason.

QUESTION THREE - FREE AGENT OPPORTUNITIES
Belichick will bring in a veeran if he feels that the value is there for an upgrade over Wendell, Koppen, or even Ohrnberger if Cannon is headed for the PUP list.

MY GUT FEELING
As is often the case, I suspect that Belichick values the players on the team much more than we do. Belichick know what he has and is much more likely to continue with players than we are. Posters often undervalue our current players, in this case Koppen and Wendell. How many times have posters cut James Sanders, Slater or even Meriweather. How many times have we read that Moss was a horrible mistake?

I do indeed expect us to bring in a veteran OL or two. We usually do. We have lots of questions regarding contracts (Light and Mankins) and health (Kaczur and Cannon). Bringing in linemen just makes sense. HOWEVER, I would not be surprised at all if no free agent made the team. This is especially true if Kaczur and Cannon are ready to go. Most like is another Ojinnaka type making the 53.

Uh-oh...the center watch is getting dire with O'Dowd, Barnes, Kirkpatrick, Pugh & Linnenkohl all accounted for. Ryan Bartholomew, are you listening?

Woirried about him????

In this season with such limited camp, an UDFA has little chance of making the 53. The mostly likely place is as a special teams monster. Tarp has a chance. IMHO, he probably has as much chance as our last two draftees. All are looking for special teams spot on the 53 or a Practice Squad position.

I EXPECT that Tarp will not make the team or the Practice Squad. With no work before Training Camp that seems the most likely result. In other years, UDFA's had months to come up to speed.

BOTTOM LINE
Tarp was a great acquisition. If he really is a solid special teamer he could make the Practice Squad. BY week 8, we almost always add sepcial teamers.

"Always seemed to be hurt"

That's what I am worried about. Hope the guy can stay healthy....But....in BB we trust

Pats have added the following:

Clay Nurse - DE/OLB - Illinois
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=75334

Height: 6'02 3/8
Weight: 261
40: 4.98
20: 2.87
10: 1.69

Bench: 20
Vertical: 32.5
Broad: 9' 03"
3-cone: 7.07
Shuttle: 4.24

Anthony Leonard - ILB - West Virginia
Height: 6'0 5/8
Weight: 254
40: 4.89
20: 2.81
10: 1.59

Vertical: 35.5"
Broad: 9'09"
3-cone: 7.23
Shuttle: 4.57

EDIT: Could a mod move this to the Pats UDFA signing thread?

Last edited:

Undrafted signings roll on - Extra Points - Boston.com

CONFIRMED

Jeff Tarpinian, ILB, Iowa (6-2, 235, 4.56 in the 40) - School
Jeremy Ross, WR/KR, Cal (6-0, 209, 4.44) - Twitter account
Mike Berry, OL, Auburn (6-3, 319, 5.49) - His private twitter account, which I can't find anymore
Will Yeatman, TE/OT, Maryland (6-6 1/2, 270, 5.08) - Twitter account

REPORTED SIGNINGS

Ryan Coulson, OLB, Nevada (6-3, 243, 4.75)
Corey Woods, OT, Akron (6-4 3/4, 303, 5.25)
Alex Silvestro, OLB, Rutgers (6-3 1/2, 267 4.83)
Kyle Hix, OT, Texas (6-7, 319, 5.44)

Clay Nurse - DE - Illinois
Anthony Leonard - LB - West Virginia

I like Leonard but I doubt he makes the 53 because we're pretty well stocked at ILB. Hopefully he makes the practice squad. Nurse is a high energy pass rusher, but struggles against the run. Only average athletecism.

From NEPatriotsDraft...

Patriots (Patriots UDFA Signings Post)
Corey Woods (OT, Akron)
Jeremy Ross (WR/KR, Cal)
Alex Silvestro (DE, Rutgers)
Jeff Tarpinian (LB, Iowa)
Kyle Hix (OT, Texas)
Mike Berry (OL, Auburn)
Will Yeatman (TE, Maryland)
Ryan Coulson (DE, Nevada)
Clay Nurse (DE, Illinois)

2011 NFL Undrafted Free Agents | NEPatriotsDraft.com - Patriots NFL Draft Site

Clay Nurse - DE/OLB - Illinois
NFL Draft Scout----Powered By: The Sports Xchange

Height: 6'02 3/8
Weight: 261
40: 4.98
20: 2.87
10: 1.69

Vertical: 32.5
Broad: 9' 03"
3-cone: 7.07
Shuttle: 4.24

EDIT: Could a mod move this to the Pats UDFA signing thread?

Not going to pass on another rusher named Clay.
Now if we can only get him on a 'program' to improve that speed and strength...

*** Will YEATMAN!!! ***

:rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

Will Yeatman Scouting Reports!!!

#193 ~ TE ~ Will Yeatman ~ 6.6/270

178006194.jpg

Will Yeatman, in my view, has more Up Side than any classical ~ 90% Blocking/10% Receiving ~ Tight End in this Class.

He is raw as hell, but he is the prototypical size for the job, and he commands astonishing athleticism.

Will Yeatman is a ferocious Blocker who commands great natural dexterity ~ honed through years of playing LaCrosse!! ~ and who has only just tasted his incipient Navigational Liquidity in running the Route Tree.

He commands nothing less than All Pro Potential as a mauling, crushing traditional Tight End...and with surprising Agility and Instincts as a Receiver!!

And yet he projects as a Free Agent.

God Bless America.

Re: *** Will YEATMAN!!! ***

There's going to be nice competition for the #2 and #3 TE position.
Between Crumpler, Lee Smith and Yeatman.
And the size... we're looking at 2 6"6 blocking 270 lbs TE.
Plus Gronk who's 6"6 270 himself.
Yeatman looks like he could be a surprise as an athlete/end zone threat.

. I think this means Hernandez plays more as an H back or receiving TE/WR.

178006194.jpg

Will Yeatman, in my view, has more Up Side than any classical ~ 90% Blocking/10% Receiving ~ Tight End in this Class.

He is raw as hell, but he is the prototypical size for the job, and he commands astonishing athleticism.

Will Yeatman is a ferocious Blocker who commands great natural dexterity ~ honed through years of playing LaCrosse!! ~ and who has only just tasted his incipient Navigational Liquidity in running the Route Tree.

He commands nothing less than All Pro Potential as a mauling, crushing traditional Tight End...and with surprising Agility and Instincts as a Receiver!!

God Bless America.

178006194.jpg

God Bless America.

With all of this all-pro potential that he seems to have, you'd think that he would have been drafted :p

Side note: I've heard some people referring to him as a possible OT conversion prospect.

Last edited:

With all of this all-pro potential that he seems to have, you'd think that he would have been drafted :p

The thing with potential is that it’s just that, potential. I think Yeatman projects more like a OT who might have some ball skills. It’d be interesting if they train him up as a solid OT and then have him declare eligible on trick plays.

He can provide depth or be a potential heir to Vollmer, who is a tad older than we’d prefer, or BB can trade Yeatman for loot down the road.

I love the move, low risk but it could yield HUGE reward.

I view Yeatman as a redshirt tackle, and love the signing. Much better lateral footwork than Smith, but not as robust in-line. Nice long-term backup left tackle project.

Last edited:

178006194.jpg

God Bless America.

Yeatman only JUST converted from LaCrosse ~ yes, LACROSSE!! ~ so you can be sure that he is raw as ALL get out. Hence: him going UFA, as had been expected. And for that reason I like our chances of slipping him onto the P Squad...Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

But his potential is IMMENSE. On pure Potential ALONE, he is the ONLY "Y" or Blocking Tight End I rated ahead of Lee Smith...and now we've got them BOTH!!! :rocker:

Side note: I've heard some people referring to him as a possible OT conversion prospect.

Correct!! Wes Bunting was speculating, as far back as October, about somebody converting him, a la our man Steve Maneri...Personally, I'm against it, as I was with Maneri...But whatever gets either or both on the field is FINE BY ME, baby!! :rocker:

I view Yeatman as a redshirt tackle, and love the signing. Much better lateral footwork than Smith, but not as robust in-line. Nice long-term backup left tackle project.

Maneri redux?

The thing with potential is that it’s just that, potential. I think Yeatman projects more like a OT who might have some ball skills. It’d be interesting if they train him up as a solid OT and then have him declare eligible on trick plays.

He can provide depth or be a potential heir to Vollmer, who is a tad older than we’d prefer, or BB can trade Yeatman for loot down the road.

I love the move, low risk but it could yield HUGE reward.

Vollmer just turned 27 two weeks ago. How young would you like him to be?

Right??
jester.gif

Vollmer is at least a two-contract guy.

And he should play at an elite level for both of them!! :rocker:

23 would be nice. But keep in mind that the price tag on his next deal might not be very cap friendly, many other Tackle hungry teams might covet him as as a LT and be willing to sign him for big money, which makes grabbing Yeatman make even more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes