Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should the NFL allow teams to add coaches in the post-season?

• Yes

Votes: 142 85.5%
  • No

Votes: 24 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a load of crap.

Employment contracts for staff in the NFL typically run to the end of the season and coaches, trainers and administrators who are not re-newed are in a mad scramble to apply for jobs with other teams or find some way to make a paycheck. It is illegal in this country for a former employer to stand in the way of an employee in securing gainful employment, especially when they are not currently employed.

To suggest that Belichick is cheating is ridiculous. To grab an assistant coach off the scrap heap, especially when your OC is interviewing and accepting a high profile job elsewhere, is just being smart and doing what any of us would do when we have an opening.

If McDaniels was the key to so much success in Denver, maybe they shouldn't have fired him.

Denver can go hire anyone they want from the Dolphins staff who has a detailed understanding of the Patriots. Would that be cheating?

Their crappy argument might hold some water if McDaniels was hired for the sole purpose of helping the Pats beat the Broncos. The fact is that McDaniels was hired before the Broncos won (in order to allow him to hit the ground running NEXT SEASON) and NOBODY except the Broncos and their mothers thought they were winning that game. Let's go look at who Michael Silver said would win the game.

It's so Belichick? It's so MEDIA to make this into BB trying to "cheat" under the rules again. Give me a break. Now I hope we wipe the field with the Broncos.

1) McDaniels was hired BEFORE the Broncos pulled off their 1 in 10 chance upset and because of the O'Brien departure.

2) If it isn't against the rules, how is it "cheating"?

3) Who gets to define the "rules of fair competition"??? A team that plays 5,280 feet above sea level and posts that fact on a wall in front of the visitor's lockerroom????????----Or the team that completely violated the salary cap in the 1990's?

4) The Denver Post is the paper that gave birth to the surperstar "journalism" careers of Skip Bayless and Woody Paige. 'Nuf ced.

Last edited:
Two writers - Mike Klis of the Denver Post and Yahoo's Michael Silver - think the Patriots are gaining an unfair competitive advantage by being able to add Josh McDaniels to their coaching staff for the post-season.

The Denver writer in particular wastes no time letting his feelings become known.

Broncos, playoff teams should officially protest Josh McDaniels hire in New England | First-and-Orange

His opening sentence:

And he closes with this:

Perhaps he has a point, but I find it impossible to even consider his opinion when he trots out the tired old 'cheaters' crap.

Here's Silver's article; it's at the very end of the column. He too brings up the cheating angle. Apparently the move would be okay if another coach did it, but it's not okay because it's Belichick. Broncos given no choice but to embrace Tebow - NFL - Yahoo! Sports
You know what i say....

F**K 'UM.......

The Pats are 66-17 since the day spy gate broke, they can put that in they're collectives pipes and smoke it.

And like Shmessy points out how is it cheating when its not against the rules. And its not like the team added a great player that could actually affect the game on the field.

Last edited:
What a load of carp this is... because it's BB people think that he is trying to circumvent the system yet again. There is no rule against it and other teams may not have done this because their coaches are in place and weren't hired for a HC job elsewhere as BOB was.

Friggin' biased journalists who have agendas and a mouth piece.

Ha! What a bunch of crybabies. They fired McD. You don't get to ***** about the fact that a coach might coach against you when you fire him. It happens every year in football.

Would it have been unfair if McD was still there and could coach against the Patriots?

A few things they conveniently leave out: This was very clearly not a move taken to get a competitive advantage against the Broncos. At the time the decision was made, the Patriots didn't know who their opponent would be, and there was at best a 33 percent chance it would be the Broncos. Moreover, it's not like they brought him in just for this game. They have (1) a very established relationship with him, (2) they had just lost their OC, and (3) they've made a commitment to him for next year to one of the three most important bench positions on a team.

Cry babies.

If Baltimore plays Green Bay in the Super Bowl is there anyone who thinks the Harbaugh's won't be having long discussions on how to play Green Bay?

Of course the mediots have prepared follow up articles that will call for a league investigation after the Pats beat the Broncos.

It's Joshgate!

I couldn't care less what they think. If the NFL is ok with it, its within the labor laws the league defined and isn't something that couldn't tarnish the Pats brand I support it.

I want another Super Bowl and how they get it, as long as we can be proud of the process in achieving it, I support.

For those of us that work in Corporate America and try to hire our competitor's best people, it's commonplace.

These knucklheads need to get off their soapbox and get a real perspective.

As Silver pointed out in the same article, Haley could have been hired in a similar situation, so what's the problem? They write as if it's a hire for just one game. Plus Silver admits a personal disdain for Josh. Not man enough to concede that 2 guys Josh was vilified for drafting won a playoff game against last season's AFC Champions.

A big GFY to the authors.

Hey, that's right. If Denver didn't want us to have a competitive advantage, they should have lost the game! They knew by kickoff that Josh was coming back here. Why didn't they do something about it when they could have? Maybe Tebow wants to play against his old coach to show him he made the right decision. ;)

If Baltimore plays Green Bay in the Super Bowl is there anyone who thinks the Harbaugh's won't be having long discussions on how to play Green Bay?

It won't be mentioned because its NOT New England, Brady, and Belichick. What a waste of so called "sports journalism".

I couldn't care less what they think. If the NFL is ok with it, its within the labor laws the league defined and isn't something that couldn't tarnish the Pats brand I support it.

I want another Super Bowl and how they get it, as long as we can be proud of the process in achieving it, I support.

For those of us that work in Corporate America and try to hire our competitor's best people, it's commonplace.

These knucklheads need to get off their soapbox and get a real perspective.

Bring on the hate, I love it especially if it plays in to "us vs the world" and results in a 3 game mean streak for pats !

show your emotions in the field boys !

I just heard on the radio, the Steelers did a similiar thing a few years ago adding a fired assistant to their staff right before the playoffs. Where was the moral outrage then?

I just heard on the radio, the Steelers did a similiar thing a few years ago adding a fired assistant to their staff right before the playoffs. Where was the moral outrage then?

It was waiting for BB to do it (which he didn't even do since he hired McD before Denver even took the field and he was probably as surprised as the rest of us that Denver won).

...If McDaniels was the key to so much success in Denver, maybe they shouldn't have fired him...

The fan base there never gave McDaniels a chance, and the senile owner couldn't stay the course on a rebuild. This run by the Broncos has at least had the effect of getting some of the fans there to grudgingly admit that McDaniels did, indeed, make some good personnel decisions. They'll never get over their butthurt, because McDaniels replaced a legend and didn't put up with Cutler's crap, but that's their problem.

That will be played up as an awesome display of brotherly love.

They'll be bringing this up at every opportunity until the Pats have a coach that has no ties to Belichick. We could win the next 3 Superbowls and they'll still say it. Could not care less at this point.

What a joke. If we were playing Pittsburgh this would be a non-story, and who the hell expected Denver to win yesterday?

These media guys are so friggin stupid sometimes, it makes me wonder about the process that leads to their employment in the first place.

If this rule was instituted, then would O'Brien have been allowed to take a job in the first place? So, let me get this straight. Its OK for the Pats to get completely F'd over by having O'Brien take a ridiculously high profile job a week before their first playoff game - which, O'Brien has a duty to his family to accept that offer, I don't begrudge him - but its not OK for the Pats to try and fill that void? It's obvious O'Brien is split right now in terms of duties, he's hardly been around the past week, and that's not good for the Patriots.

McDaniels was brought in b/c O'Brien is being asked to work two jobs for the remainder of the season. You can't ask a team to get screwed over by coaches taking new jobs during the postseason and tell them they can't do anything about it at the same time.

Last edited:

Or the Ryan brothers about how to beat the Giants back to back weeks.......oooops, never mind.

Their crappy argument might hold some water if McDaniels was hired for the sole purpose of helping the Pats beat the Broncos. The fact is that McDaniels was hired before the Broncos won (in order to allow him to hit the ground running NEXT SEASON) and NOBODY except the Broncos and their mothers thought they were winning that game. Let's go look at who Michael Silver said would win the game.

Hi, welcome to Patsfans. Go to the 3rd post in the game thread and you'll see how wrong you are. Deus and many others of us here at Patsfans picked the Tebows to beat the Squealers.

Welcome to the site!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference