PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Article: The Patriots' Tight End Problem is Becoming Critical

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score

"With the New England Patriots’ 18-12 loss to the Denver Broncos on Sunday, one thing was made clear — the Patriots need to have more production at the tight end position. For the afternoon, Patriots tight end Ryan Izzo recorded three catches for 38 yards.

For the most part, the Patriots’ wide receivers struggled all afternoon. They had trouble getting things going and in particular, Julian Edelman and N’Keal Harry struggled on the afternoon. They recorded a collective two catches for eight yards.

This indicates the Patriots definitely need to have more help in the passing game at tight end. Although Izzo put up some numbers in this game, he wasn’t consistent enough to make a viable impact. When the outside receivers were struggling, it seemed as though Newton did not have anywhere to throw the ball to. This will be a huge problem going forward against teams that aren’t Denver."

---
It's becoming a problem. McDaniels has never successfully developed any tight ends the last 15 years (inherited Gronk from O'Brien) but now is the time to do so...

Last edited:
It was becoming critical for a while. The Pats flat out refused to draft a tight end when Gronk was clearly done (in New England at least) and then refuse to use the two they drafted this time. This has been a big area of weakness for at least the last three seasons and the Pats have been acting like the smartest guy in the room with nothing to show for it.

In my book, there's absolutely no excuse for letting Izzo play this much. As a known quantity, he is terrible. Even if the rookies are also terrible, it won't make the team worse.

In my book, there's absolutely no excuse for letting Izzo play this much. As a known quantity, he is terrible. Even if the rookies are also terrible, it won't make the team worse.
I have just accepted that this is a just a bizarro season. It is these same coaching staff that decided playing Hoyer was a great idea. I don't know what BB wants out of this season.

Last edited:
Cut that bum Izzo and play the 2 kids.

At least develop players if you aren't going to be a true contender, playing Izzo does nothing for you in the short term or long term he is what he is.

Might as well just try to throw to Asiasi some. What can it hurt? Ryan Izzo was probably the worst TE in the NFL last season. Yet we kept him around as our starter! And he is showing that he is still useless and coughed up the ball today too.

Agree. Izzo is barely a NFL player. Let Asiasi develop this year. It's like McD deleted all the tight end designated plays from the playbook. Cam Newton is very good throwing to TEs, based on his Carolina days.

Chip Kelly said Asiasi is an athletic freak at tight end. So far no chance given in this offense. His stats page shows absolutely zero.

Belichick said that the lack of offseason really hurt the rookies. I don't think you'll see Asiasi and Dalton Keene do much this year...

Belichick said that the lack of offseason really hurt the rookies. I don't think you'll see Asiasi and Dalton Keene do much this year...

Yea I saw that too. It's interesting how Onwenu a rookie has been thrown in as a starter all over the OLine. So it doesn't seem consistent across rookies.

Dalton Keene's career stat page is the same as Asiasi's. A total blank page

Last edited:
The plan is for Cam to win with one of the worst WR and TE rosters in the NFL to prove that Brady was in decline.
Oh I see. This sounds outlandish, but I also know BB to be someone who can cut his nose to spite his face(Welker sitting, Butler not playing in Superbowl etc,). I can't believe I am not trashing this post but staying on the fence. I feel terrible for even considering this against my boy BB.

Oh I see. This sounds outlandish, but I also know BB to be someone who can cut his nose to spite his face(Welker sitting, Butler not playing in Superbowl etc,). I can't believe I am not trashing this post but staying on the fence. I feel terrible for even considering this against my boy BB.
The WR group has not improved in 3 years. The TE group has not gotten better either.

We saw what happened when the strength of the offense which is the RBs were stopped and the receiving corp had to pick up the slack.

Maybe, just maybe, cross my fingers... Asiasi and Keene can be secret weapons late in the season... hopefully

Out of curiosity I thought it might be illuminating to look at the past before Gronk.

The 2011 Rams averaged 12 pts/game and were last 32/32 in total points scored. Their leading receiver in yards at the TE position, was Billy Balema with only 71 total receiving yards all year. McD was the OC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back