Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should the NFL allow teams to add coaches in the post-season?

• Yes

Votes: 142 85.5%
  • No

Votes: 24 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fan base there never gave McDaniels a chance, and the senile owner couldn't stay the course on a rebuild. This run by the Broncos has at least had the effect of getting some of the fans there to grudgingly admit that McDaniels did, indeed, make some good personnel decisions. They'll never get over their butthurt, because McDaniels replaced a legend and didn't put up with Cutler's crap, but that's their problem.

This non-controversy makes my head hurt.

The Patriots clearly brought McDaniels in for his brilliant offensive game plan against the Steelers in a game the Rams got shut out 27-0 on December 24, 2011.

How exactly is he going to hurt the Broncos?

Last edited:
Do these guys actually look at facts before they write? Ok, they don't but here are the facts.
1. Josh was the only member of the Rams staff still under contract.
2. If the Rams owner fired him, he would owe Josh the salary for next year.
3. The Patriots requested permission to talk to Josh and permission was granted by the Rams owner.
4.The Rams owner gave the Patriots permission to hire Josh so the Rams owner would not have to pay Josh next years salary.

And if posters here knows that this has happened before in the past, you would think that these "professional writers" would do their homework before writing. They are just like people posting on the game thread without any basis to their knee jerk, shooting from the hip, opinions.

Do these guys actually look at facts before they write? Ok, they don't but here are the facts.
1. Josh was the only member of the Rams staff still under contract.
2. If the Rams owner fired him, he would owe Josh the salary for next year.
3. The Patriots requested permission to talk to Josh and permission was granted by the Rams owner.
4.The Rams owner gave the Patriots permission to hire Josh so the Rams owner would not have to pay Josh next years salary.

And if posters here knows that this has happened before in the past, you would think that these "professional writers" would do their homework before writing. They are just like people posting on the game thread without any basis to their knee jerk, shooting from the hip, opinions.

I assumed McDaniels was canned along with Spagnuolo. The fact that he was not and the Pats took all the steps necessary to hire an employee of another franchise makes this even more ridiculous.

OT but I just want to understand this clearly.

Pats were caught breaking rules on Video Camera placement right? That was the violation. There are no rules about taping opponent team signals.

Back on topic, this is a win-win for both rams and patriots. Fisher wouldn't want McD anyway.

Last edited:
What a joke. If we were playing Pittsburgh this would be a non-story, and who the hell expected Denver to win yesterday?

Before Sunday's game I actually saw a Steeler fan complaining about the hire. His rationale was that because the Rams played Pittsburgh two weeks ago McDaniels would have all sorts of information on the Steelers that he could pass on that Belichick would not otherwise know about. :ugh:

One thing is clear, here:

The Rams are dirty cheaters and should lose their first round draft pick!

If the Pats were playing Pittsburgh next weekend this would be a non story,but because it just happens to be a coach who just left the opposing team,now hell is breaking out.

I don't quite understand why these people are calling Belichick a cheat...did he have some sort of ESP knowing the Broncos were going to pull off a major upset yesterday and knew that McDaniels would help them??

Sounds like sour grapes from people who think Josh ruined the Broncos and simply don't like him.

One thing these idiots fail to understand is ....

Having info on another team is one thing...having the players execute anything to help the team with that info is another.

If the Pats were playing Pittsburgh next weekend this would be a non story,but because it just happens to be a coach who just left the opposing team,now hell is breaking out.

I don't quite understand why these people are calling Belichick a cheat...did he have some sort of ESP knowing the Broncos were going to pull off a major upset yesterday and knew that McDaniels would help them??

Sounds like sour grapes from people who think Josh ruined the Broncos and simply don't like him.

You don't understand....

Hiring back a guy who "can't draft, can't coordinate without having Tom Brady and can't coach, and who's entirely a product of Bill Belichick", is exactly the sort of devious and evil move that will allow the Patriots to defeat the Steelers, err, Broncos, this week.

It's so clear!

Last edited:
I do think that there should be a rule preventing teams from adding coaches for the postseason. That said, anytime someone drags out the "cheater" dead horse to justify their case, as these writers did, their credibility is pretty much instantly shot.

Belichick didn't do anything wrong here. Blame the league for not foreseeing this possibility, not the one guy diligent, thorough, and innovative enough to take advantage of it.

Yeah, he ruined them so much his top picks just won them a playoff game. And therein lies the rub - why is Denver so worried? Didn't they run McDaniels out of town on a rail (more than a year ago) because he didn't know what he was doing? Suddenly he's the Pat's savior who has all the answers? I guess our 13-3 record, and the fact that we whooped the Broncos about a month ago without McD were just unbelievable flukes. Thank God our cheatin coach has that ESP working for him.

I do think that there should be a rule preventing teams from adding coaches for the postseason. That said, anytime someone drags out the "cheater" dead horse to justify their case, as these writers did, their credibility is pretty much instantly shot.

Belichick didn't do anything wrong here. Blame the league for not foreseeing this possibility, not the one guy diligent, thorough, and innovative enough to take advantage of it.

Unfortunately, it is not instantly shot. Rather it becomes the mantra for those looking for a reason why the Pats won and their team didn't.

Three thoughts:

One, I don't see how anyone can reasonably have a specific problem with hiring Josh since it was done before the Broncos won and when most folks thought the Steelers would be the Pats divisional round opponent. In addition, it was perfectly reasonable that, with BOB leaving, the Patriots would want to shore up that function.

Two, as a general policy, as long as you can add and subtract players from the Roster, I don't see any reason why a team couldn't do the same with a coach.

Three, as someone who lives outside New England, I repeat what I have said often out here: the damage done by "Spygate" will impact the Pats image and brand for a long time. We can argue until we're blue in the face that it's unfair and that the original incident was taken way out of context and that the entire situation was then blown way out of proportion by haters in the media and among other teams' fans, players and management, but the reality is that it is "out there" and hasn't gone away and won't go away anytime soon.

Last edited:
So Josh will be reintegrated into the Patriots system within 1-2 days? The fact that things (personnel especially) has changed never seems to dawn on people's mind. Imagine an employee leaving a position for 3-4 years and then coming back. They make it seem like the empolyee is back up to speed the very next day like they never left.

It might actually cause more of a distraction to reintegrate McDaniels back into the flow...but that never crosses their mind. I imagine BB will maximize McDs advantages while minimizing the distraction. The best he might be able to do is help remember tendencies, but running our offense is going to be a far cry.

Just the same old crying about things when they don't speak with any knowledge or authority on what the advantage might be. They preach to the masses and they didn't even pretend to sleep at a Holiday Inn Express the night before writing this drivel.

...well, in that case, anyone signing a dropped player, or sighning someone off a practice squad a week or two before playing that players former team, and then dropping them after the game has been played, is a form of cheating....no?

What a bunch of horsesh*t. I hate the media. I really do.

Looking at the issue, just in general terms, I think it is bad policy for the league to allow coaches to jump ship during playoffs. Sorry. If the acquiring team is still in the playoffs, it shouldn't be allowed. Of course we are talking about a league that turns its back on player tampering...so why enact another charade. But can't you see a scenario where playoff team A approaches a team out of the playoffs and says, "Let me hire your guy for the short term and we can work out compensation." Can O' Worms...I say

I really can't see the scenario you're describing here. For one, I can't see why a team would risk the chance of loosing a highly regarded coordinator. For another, I really can't see the great value being added to the playoff team since that coordinator isn't likely to have much experience with that teams offense/players. This isn't a very typical situation and wouldn't even be a reality if it weren't for BOB leaving for Penn State. That is the piece many are missing. This move had nothing to do with the Patriots having an advantage over the Broncos or anyone else but everything to do with the Patriots minimizing the disadvantage of BOB leaving them.

How about Penn State hiring our OC just as the playoffs starts. People don't find that unfair? I feel this has become a bigger distraction.

Yeah, he ruined them so much his top picks just won them a playoff game. And therein lies the rub - why is Denver so worried? Didn't they run McDaniels out of town on a rail (more than a year ago) because he didn't know what he was doing? Suddenly he's the Pat's savior who has all the answers? I guess our 13-3 record, and the fact that we whooped the Broncos about a month ago without McD were just unbelievable flukes. Thank God our cheatin coach has that ESP working for him.

Unfortunately, if this story gets picked up by HSPN et al, it's not going to be resolved by rational arguments.

Denver ran Josh out of town during a transitional period,
he gutted the QB, 1st string wide out, and basically the secondary.
Any rational person knows these things take time and don't happen overnight.
The players were running the asylum not the coaches and Josh changed the culture to be more like the Patriots.
Fans repaid this by creating websites like Josh Mcdaniels sucks.com, Fire Josh etc etc.
Now they want to cry conspiracy because he is a assistant to a assistant on a team he hasn't been with for almost 4 years.
Yeah stay classy Denver and those crying about the camera thing
How about cheating the salary cap and taking out defensive lineman low with the purpose to injure, cough cough Hampton and Keisel, not saying saying Pittsburgh players didn't have karma due.
If we win this playoff game i think it will have alot more with staying in position and doing your jobs instead of trying to keep your shampoo adds and going for the big play causing bombs to go over your head, Chung, Mccourty, Ihedigbo will all stay disciplined and if Tom is Tom we should be able to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST