PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time to deal one of the 2 - 2's in 2009 for a quality RT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BradyToMoss

We've got the ammo to deal one of those 2-2's or our 3rd round pick to get a legitimate starting RT, I'm wondering if we're at that point?

Sure, but who?

Sure, but who?

How does Shawn Andrews sound? If he can get his head straightened out. I know one thing, Nick Kaczur, Britt and O'Callahan are not the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm. Depressed (about his team), 425 Bench and same B-Day as Jesus. I'm down. :)

If a trade for Andrews can't happen, there's not much else available as far as I know. Tom Ashworth is available if we want to re-sign him. Other than that the only other free agents I know of are a couple of ex Jags (Jaguars, not JAG's) - G Chris Naeole and T Stockar McDougle, both of whom are coming off injuries and would be questionable to pass a physical right now.

Shawn Andrews is a guard. If you think the Eagles will give up a Pro Bowl guard for a second rounder more power to you. I doubt that happens.

This railing against Kaczur is uninformed and old. Kaczur is an average to above average right tackle in this league and is just as good as anything you'll get in a trade at this point in the year. He did fine last year and playing at RT he should do fine this year.

Look around the league and you're going to be hard pressed to find very many dominating right tackles.

Once Light is back then our OL is the same as last year except for Neal who is out a lot anyway. If Light has a serious injury we have a problem but assuming he'll be OK our OL will be fine.

I'm pro-Nick, but we could use another (additional) player of his calibre or better.

This is ridiculously too early. I realize an OL needs time to gel, but give me a break. Give it another week or two, let's see how the tackles heal up. If not, there will be cuts to look at and trades to be made.

I don't think the Patriots would have to give up a no.2 to get him, but Willie Anderson could be available.

He's currently a backup on the depth chart for the first time in his career with the Bengals, but he's supposedly healthier than he's been in a few seasons.

Upside: It wasn't long ago that he was considered one of the best right tackles in the league

Downside: He's 6'5 340lbs so he's bigger than the Patriots generally prefer their lineman.

At 33, Anderson could have 2-3 good years left in him.

I want to see how the line performs when healthy before advocating a trade. IF Matt Light's injury is serious, I'd be much more concerned about landing an LT than trying to upgrade the RT spot.

We've got the ammo to deal one of those 2-2's or our 3rd round pick to get a legitimate starting RT, I'm wondering if we're at that point?

WHO?....Who's a starting RT?...Who is foolish enough to trade with New England?

Andrews?...head case,doesn't want to play.

Who's better than Kazur,Britt or O'callaghan?

The Pats are the best team in football,they're
stacked,loaded.Other teams want our players for draft choices,not the other way around.

It's only training camp and Dante is sorting thru about 16 O Lineman.

Jeeeezz,one preseason game and the sky is falling...get a grip.

If a trade for Andrews can't happen, there's not much else available as far as I know. Tom Ashworth is available if we want to re-sign him. Other than that the only other free agents I know of are a couple of ex Jags (Jaguars, not JAG's) - G Chris Naeole and T Stockar McDougle, both of whom are coming off injuries and would be questionable to pass a physical right now.

OK, there is definitely something wrong here. Ashworth was not better than Kaczur, Britt or O'Callaghan. We don't need tackles, we need a right guard that can remain healthy. If Billy Yates couldn't handle Justin Bannan he's not the answer plus he gets hurt every year also. Can we not panic in week one. The starting line will be Light, Mankins, Koppen, maybe Neal/O'Callaghan/Welbourn/Connolly and Kaczur at right tackle. That line is fine with me and they will do ok.

Maybe we should think about the fact that with Sammy Morris or Lamont Jordan the running attack might improve over Laurence Maroney who is great when he can use his speed in a big hole but not much in a grind it out game.

Kaczur isn't a great RT, but he is decent enough. Our o-line was one of the best last year with Kazcur at RT. I think trading a second rounder for a RT is a waste of a pick. If anything we need a RG with Neal's status being up in the air.

Without looking it up or spending ten minutes remembering, can you remember the three different RTs we had in our Super Bowl runs. Once you figured it out, can you tell me anything remarkable they did since then? The Patriots RT position has been a plug and play position since Belichick got here. Rarely has the same guy played that position two years in a row. Why waste a second rounder to get guy to fit a position the Pats have historically been successful in plugging in just about anyone in that spot and producing?

Sure, but who?
I know it's same division and all, but Jason Peters is a stud and young. The Bills are at an impasse like we were with Branch. Maybe a second and fourth
DW Toys

I know it's same division and all, but Jason Peters is a stud and young. The Bills are at an impasse like we were with Branch. Maybe a second and fourth
DW Toys

Peters is one of the better LTs in the league. It would take at least a first to get him. Maybe more. It would also take the Pats to give the guy a top LT contract to get Peters to agree.

He is a better LT than Light so I guess if the Pats made the trade, they could move Light to RT. But I can't see the Pats putting that much into a player.

DW Toys

I'm sure they'd give him away for a 7th rounder or better yet maybe straight trade for CJ or Evans:D

This thread is rediculous. The Patirots OL was the league's best last year, hands down. They got beat once out of 19 games. Find me another offensive line in the NFL that was this consistent, week in and week out.

Part of the reason this line has been so good is that, excepting injury, the same 5 guys have played together for 3 seasons. Offensive lines are as much about chemistry, continuity and teamwork as they are about raw talent. Messing with this line will possibly make it worse, even if we bring in a presumably more talented player.

The depth at RT is fine. O'Callaghan and Britt could make it as starters on more than a few teams in this league. Kaczur would start on at least half. My worry is interior depth, but it will take a little time to see if Welbourn can solve that problem. The problem is, anyone the team brings in is going to need a few weeks to fit into the system to prove whether or not they can earn their keep.

I didn't read through all the threads and hope I'm not repeating what someone has already said. The Patriots are ok at OT with Kazur and O'Callaghan. The issue seems to be at OG where the depth is thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes