PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time to deal one of the 2 - 2's in 2009 for a quality RT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shawn Andrews is a guard. If you think the Eagles will give up a Pro Bowl guard for a second rounder more power to you. I doubt that happens.

This railing against Kaczur is uninformed and old. Kaczur is an average to above average right tackle in this league and is just as good as anything you'll get in a trade at this point in the year. He did fine last year and playing at RT he should do fine this year.

Look around the league and you're going to be hard pressed to find very many dominating right tackles.

I disagree. I've never seen anything out of Kaczur to suggest he is anything more than a fill-in guy. He is NOT good enough to start on a team with aspirations of 19-0.

I disagree. I've never seen anything out of Kaczur to suggest he is anything more than a fill-in guy. He is NOT good enough to start on a team with aspirations of 19-0.

Didn't he start on a team that was 18-0 last season and trying for 19-0 right after that?

It seems to me that you've already been proven to be about as wrong as it gets.

The aspirations are not 19-0, they are a Super Bowl championship. That, my friends, is as sweet to a 9-7 team as it is to a 16-0 team.

The Patriots have a problem at RG. Neal is unhealthy and won't likely be healthy until mid season or thereafter. So they need a RG. BillyYates was the natural promotion. H eahsn't looked good. The Patriots FO has known this since last season. And have acted to find a RG and perhaps improve the RT and depth as well. Unlike previous years, the Pats did not go looking to sign lots of last years PS guys from various clubs, to join the Scarnecchia school.

They went looking for experienced ex-starters who could play as a patch for a year or two. Hence we had Ollie Ross, Anthony Clement and now Welbourne. Any one of which if healthy could suffice. , Unfortunately, Clement is on IR already. And Ross has not yet gotten off PUP from a triceps injury last year. But he should be doing so soon, as the time needed to recover is about over. Wellbourne is a good player but he threatened to retire two years ago and was talked out of it by KC for a season. Maybe the thought of a ring is enough to entice him to play.

Shawn Andrews is a guard. If you think the Eagles will give up a Pro Bowl guard for a second rounder more power to you. I doubt that happens.

This railing against Kaczur is uninformed and old. Kaczur is an average to above average right tackle in this league and is just as good as anything you'll get in a trade at this point in the year. He did fine last year and playing at RT he should do fine this year.

Look around the league and you're going to be hard pressed to find very many dominating right tackles.

He's right. It's very hard to find a team that has a dominant LT and RT. Almost every team's weakness is on the right side of the offensive line. With that said, it would be very hard to be able to swing a trade. Kaczur will do for the time being.

The Patriots have a problem at RG. Neal is unhealthy and won't likely be healthy until mid season or thereafter. So they need a RG. BillyYates was the natural promotion. H eahsn't looked good. The Patriots FO has known this since last season. And have acted to find a RG and perhaps improve the RT and depth as well. Unlike previous years, the Pats did not go looking to sign lots of last years PS guys from various clubs, to join the Scarnecchia school.

I agree, I think Kazcur, Britt and O'Callaghan are competent ROT's and RG is the weak link in the chain when Neal is not in there at 100%.

Yates looked terrible and has a long history on the trainer's table.

However even if we did need an ROT, I would prefer to keep the 2 second rounders because the draft has a couple of nice OT's that are premium drive blockers including Unger and Boone of OSU that we could draft at #32 or use the 2 second's to trade up to the low 30's to get one of these guys.

Didn't he start on a team that was 18-0 last season and trying for 19-0 right after that?

It seems to me that you've already been proven to be about as wrong as it gets.

Kaczur was clearly the weak link all year. I'm sorry, but you just can't watch him and think he's good enough. If you have any random game he's ever started saved on your DVR, watch it and only pay attention to his play. You will not be impressed.
And last years line got a little too much pub, IMO. For most of the year, teams were afraid to rush anyone in fear that Brady and Co. would pick them apart. But considering the struggles the team had down the stretch and the fact that there was no consistent running game all year, I don't see how you can possibly think there aren't potential problems.

Fact is, the OL looked like ass in preseason last year, and then all of a sudden pulled it together in game one, rattling off a dominant 18 games ina row before collapsing in the SB. Against the best rushing team in the league.

Let's give it a couple weeks before jumping off the cliff.

Kaczur was clearly the weak link all year. I'm sorry, but you just can't watch him and think he's good enough. If you have any random game he's ever started saved on your DVR, watch it and only pay attention to his play. You will not be impressed.
And last years line got a little too much pub, IMO. For most of the year, teams were afraid to rush anyone in fear that Brady and Co. would pick them apart. But considering the struggles the team had down the stretch and the fact that there was no consistent running game all year, I don't see how you can possibly think there aren't potential problems.

There are potential problems with every player in the known NFL universe. Until there's a perfect player, you'll have to accept that all players have flaws and limitations. However your comment about struggles is overblown and your argument about a consistent running game is by no means solely the result of the team's starting right tackle.

The problem right now is that the Patriots' fanbase is comprised of people acting like spoiled children who just got their favorite toy taken away. The Patriots were 18-1 last year, but apparently Bruschi and Seau couldn't play football, McDaniels couldn't do anything as a coordinator, the starting right tackle can't play football, the tight end can't catch a single football, Seymour is finished as a player, James Sanders belongs bagging groceries, Ellis Hobbs should be ringing up those groceries, and the punter should be carrying those groceries out to people's cars.

We've got the ammo to deal one of those 2-2's or our 3rd round pick to get a legitimate starting RT, I'm wondering if we're at that point?

No but if your asking which player I would want from the Eagles OL it's this kid: http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/Max-Jean-Gilles.html

Massive mountain of G/RT with a wide wingspan and long arms to go along with his huge frame. Has good quickness for his size, is mature and smart and always takes good angles. Great run blocker and decent in pass pro. Has lost lots of fat and turned it into muscle since coming into the league and I love how he always wins his one-on-one battles.

*cough* crackhead *cough* ;)

Kidding aside, Nick is good stuff and as someone else said, chemistry is more deadly than one superstar player.

I know a lot of people who are friends with Nick and he's been through the mill the last couple of years and has really regretted what has gone on. Whatever his supposed inadequacies from last year, watch many of them disappear.

You put Nick on the trading block and I GUARANTEE he's gone within 24 hours.

panic-button.jpg

There are potential problems with every player in the known NFL universe. Until there's a perfect player, you'll have to accept that all players have flaws and limitations. However your comment about struggles is overblown and your argument about a consistent running game is by no means solely the result of the team's starting right tackle.

The problem right now is that the Patriots' fanbase is comprised of people acting like spoiled children who just got their favorite toy taken away. The Patriots were 18-1 last year, but apparently Bruschi and Seau couldn't play football, McDaniels couldn't do anything as a coordinator, the starting right tackle can't play football, the tight end can't catch a single football, Seymour is finished as a player, James Sanders belongs bagging groceries, Ellis Hobbs should be ringing up those groceries, and the punter should be carrying those groceries out to people's cars.

Well said. In fact, the team was less than a minute from becoming 19-0. I was devastated at the loss in the SB, but as others have said, the OL had two less than good games all year (both against the Giants). I don't think it is time to press the panic button just yet.

One of the problems with the offensive line is that five of them take the field, more than any other position. Unlike TEs and RBs and the starting WRs and the CBs, where there are only two opportunities to find flaws, the OL provides five opportunities to complain.

So even if Light and Mankins and Koppen are good to great players, and Neal is the best pulling guard in the league when he's healthy, and Kaczur is average at worst, there are undeniably five linemen.

That's a whole lot of problems to find.

[Disclaimer: I am concerned about the OL, but I sure don't want to give up a 2nd round pick to upgrade it.]

If we're giving up a 2nd round pick, we'd better be getting an all-pro lineman in return. The Packers just traded away Lord Favre and they only get a conditional 4th rounder that goes up to a conditional 1st IF the Jets win the Superbowl. Randy Moss was acquired for a 4th round pick. Jason Taylor went for a 2nd round pick. So any lineman short of an all pro should cost a 4th round or lower pick.

I say wait until cutdowns to pick up a decent veteran to shore up the depth. Costs us nothing to wait.

This is ridiculously too early. I realize an OL needs time to gel, but give me a break. Give it another week or two, let's see how the tackles heal up. If not, there will be cuts to look at and trades to be made.

Giving anyone we bring in some time to gel is a benefit as well.

As far as the subject of the thread though, of course we all trust that if Belichick stands pat, that's deemed the best move and if he trades a draft pick, its likewise the wisest choice.

The bottom line here is that at this point I think everyone realizes the OL is an area where improvement is imperative.

1) You're presuming that a strating RT is available for a 2nd rounder, and that Belichick hasn't tried to secure one.

2) You have judged that Kaycur is not a legitimate RT. I suspect that Belichick disagrees.

3) RG is probably a much greater need unless you are ready to start Yates. I suspect Belichick is ready to do so. Hochstein is a perfect Game Day backup center and guard.

Me, I'm fine with what have for now. For me, health is the key factor in whether to pick up another OL.

We've got the ammo to deal one of those 2-2's or our 3rd round pick to get a legitimate starting RT, I'm wondering if we're at that point?

I hope Belichick gets a copy of this thread ... he's so busy with
the linebackers and secondary he's forgetting the OL.:rolleyes:

An OL or 2 will br brought in when other teams make their cuts ... it's the Belichick way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand