PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thru week 6 Amendola has only proven his critics correct…

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the haters will flame me telling me I am wrong, but watch the replay from yesterdays hit. Amendola intentionally lowered his head and tried to lunge at the incoming defender to make more yards. The hit was totally legal. It sucks that he got popped in the dome like that but he did it to himself. In fact, go look at all his injuries...you will see there are many things he could be doing to protect himself but doesn't. Welker did...that is the difference between the two. Its not bad luck, its poor decision making.

I would 100% agree with you if you weren't 100% wrong. The video evidence shows that Amendola turned his body to try to protect himself from the hit and the defender with a clear helmet shot. But other than that, you are right about him running with the ball.

amendola.gif

And for all the people who said he could have ran out of bounds, he was a good two yards from the sidelines when he got hit. Of course if he did run out of bounds, people would have killed him for not picking up the first down.

I saw nothing that Amendola did that Welker wouldn't have done. It was just bad luck and a cheap shot that Amendola got a helmet to helmet hit.

I thought Brandon Lloyd was cut.

My disbelief stems from your reactionary analysis of Amendola. It's just far too early to make any sort of judgement, particularly one that mines statistics.

And why should it be either/or regarding Amendola and Edelman. Considering how cheap our other receivers are, re-signing Edelman isn't improbable. Remember, no other team wanted him last year for anything above minimum.

As for TJ Moe, great 3-cone and everything but he's slower than Michael Buchanan. There was a reason he wasn't drafted.

Lloyd was cut in the offseason, and if Amendola continues to provide what he has to this team so far through 6 weeks he should be cut this offseason, I thought you implied I wanted him cut now which is not the case, I am willing to see how he does the rest of the way, but if I had to make the decision right now as if the season was over I would submit the paperwork to the league twice just to ensure Amendola was cut.

T.J. is developmental, you cannot really say his being a UDFA matters to much considering Welker and Amendola were UDFA as well.

I would just cut him loose personally, resign Edelman for $2-$3 mil and invest the rest into some other position other outside of the slot. We also have T.J. Moe returning next season and he can backup Edelman and we can attempt to develop him.

I didn’t say he should be cut, I said if this continues through the remainder of the season he should go the way of Brandon Lloyd and we should resign Edelman for $2-$3 mil per to be the starter, and develop Moe in the backup role. I don’t understand what has you in such disbelief here bro?

You are all over the place.

How can you "detract" a guy for getting injured? None of this makes any sense. Each of Amendola's injuries has been different, it's not like the guy keeps re-injuring the same body part. This "injury prone" "snake bitten" "made of glass" canard is pure nonsense. He's absorbed ferocious hits and gotten up and walked back to the huddle time and time again. There is nothing inherent in the guy that makes him get hurt, it's just the way things have gone.

It is what it is, Tune. The reality is quite simple .... the guy has been injured more than not.

That was the knock on him when he arrived and he's done nothing to shed that concern since he's been in a Pats uni. Hopefully, his injury woes stop but, until they do, he's the injury concern many believed him to be prior to signing on with this team.

Lloyd was cut in the offseason, and if Amendola continues to provide what he has to this team so far through 6 weeks he should be cut this offseason, I thought you implied I wanted him cut now which is not the case, I am willing to see how he does the rest of the way, but if I had to make the decision right now as if the season was over I would submit the paperwork to the league twice just to ensure Amendola was cut.

T.J. is developmental, you cannot really say his being a UDFA matters to much considering Welker and Amendola were UDFA as well.

No I'm saying he's slow and relying on him is folly. That doesn't mean he can't be successful but to suggest Edelman+Moe>>>>Edelman+Amendola is projection at it's most speculative.

I would 100% agree with you if you weren't 100% wrong. The video evidence shows that Amendola turned his body to try to protect himself from the hit and the defender with a clear helmet shot. But other than that, you are right about him running with the ball.

amendola.gif

And for all the people who said he could have ran out of bounds, he was a good two yards from the sidelines when he got hit.

The problem with Amendola is he doesn’t realize he is 190 pounds, yes he lowered his shoulder and tried to turn off the hit but to be honest the kid had no ******* business trying to take that hit, how many times did we see Welker slip down under that type of hit, or at least let up enough to diminish the velocity of the impact, Danny did not do either, he accelerated into another moving car and turned last minute like he was trying to win a game of chicken but it was too late, it was 2 and 10 he had picked up a solid 5-7 yards and should have slipped out of bounds or at least went to the ground and let Jenkins come over the top and lived to play another down, he didn’t do that and its silly that we’re rolling excuses out and people are posting videos of other players getting hit catching a football facing the opposite direction of the player who hit them and comparing it to this.

That was a brutal hit he took yesterday. I don't think it was cheap, just unfortunate. I'd say this concussion is going to keep him out against the NYJ.

No I'm saying he's slow and relying on him is folly. That doesn't mean he can't be successful but to suggest Edelman+Moe>>>>Edelman+Amendola is projection at it's most speculative.

Moe is not really an integral part of thing, to be complete honest I would like to see Boyce play in the slot I think his skill set could be dynamic and he could do some things that Cobb in GB has done.

I don’t know but fortunately Amendola did not have that problem because there was no defender draped on his back. The defender behind him did not make contact with him until after the initial hit, for the record though Wes Welker would have realized he meant more to the team than the difference between 3rd and 3 or 1st and 10, now I respect Amendola being a tough and competitive but it was not smart football and in the long haul it will cost us.

Amendola Hit vs Saints - YouTube

If the Saints defender isn't using the Ryan Clark Billygoat technique to make the tackle, Amendola makes it out of that play completely fine. Unless you're going to argue that the only other alternative was some other type of illegal tackle. Maybe Amendola was enticing the defender to horse collar him too? I'd be shocked if there wasn't a fine dished out for that shot because it was Meriweather-esque in how deliberate of a head shot it was.

Some guys are just plain unlucky, and we seem to have found one in Amendola. At least Edelman has managed to stay healthy for a longer stretch of games than he had managed in his career to this point.

The problem with Amendola is he doesn’t realize he is 190 pounds, yes he lowered his shoulder and tried to turn off the hit but to be honest the kid had no ******* business trying to take that hit, how many times did we see Welker slip down under that type of hit, or at least let up enough to diminish the velocity of the impact, Danny did not do either, he accelerated into another moving car and turned last minute like he was trying to win a game of chicken but it was too late, it was 2 and 10 he had picked up a solid 5-7 yards and should have slipped out of bounds or at least went to the ground and let Jenkins come over the top and lived to play another down, he didn’t do that and its silly that we’re rolling excuses out and people are posting videos of other players getting hit catching a football facing the opposite direction of the player who hit them and comparing it to this.
The rush was for 1 yard on 2nd & 10, I believe.

Lloyd was cut in the offseason, and if Amendola continues to provide what he has to this team so far through 6 weeks he should be cut this offseason

:bricks::wha::ugh::suspicious::jaw:

How many times did we see Welker take that type of hit?

Sucks when the actualities of life just keep coming and you just want them to stop… You guys act like we just employed the slot position for the first time in New England, nobody has used the slot position more over the past decade then the New England Patriots, how many head injuries have the receivers suffered during that time? You think Welker never had a player launching at him to prevent him reaching a first down marker? Do you remember Brown, Edelman, Branch, Woodhead, Faulk, Hernandez and any of the other players who caught passes out of the slot leave the game concussed? We practice protecting ourselves constantly and Amendola ignored what he was taught and that caused the injury, not to use the car analogy again but if you launch into that intersection not wearing your seatbelt you cannot be surprised if you get hurt and the person who wore their seatbelt did not.

You have gone way past the ridiculous point in this debate. First, have you been following current events on concussions. When you ask "how many", ask "how many were reported," because that was one of the major problems with the lack of inquiry into concussions. Welker has gotten his bell rung numerous times, if you follow the games. He just didn't come out, which may be good or bad depending on whether you care about your fantasy stats or whether he can remember how to turn a doorknob at age 40. As an aside, boxing tells us people weather head trauma differently. What one person can take has about zero to do with what happens to another. In the current system, don't count on Welker coming back into games after hits, regardless of whether he is still functional after the hit.

Second, with regard to Amendola, he didn't launch (defenders right, body moving left - I expect you would have to be pointing toward the target to launch, unless the target is the sideline as it was in this case). He is running toward the sideline (out of bounds) and away from the defenders. He turns his lead shoulder down and tucks his head into his chest. What ninja skill do you see him employing, from your apparent substantial knowledge as a professional athlete, other than falling on the field 5 yards earlier and getting the touch from defenders, that might have avoided that result? As others have pointed out, people did not like Lloyd because he fell and offered few YACs. You apparently prefer the flop, so we will duly inform Patriots receiver coaches of your preference, and desire to mentor these professional athletes on the "Brady6 Ninja receiver" system in which you move through and around defenders like the wind without injury or adverse results. Good grief.

You are all over the place.

I am really not at all – I do not think he should be cut during the season, but if he continues to provide what he has I think in the offseason, (after the season is complete, upon completion of the 2013-14 season, post 2013-14 season) we would be better off cutting Amendola loose and resigning Edelman at what would likely be a lower cost.

Touchdown Tony Simmons would have known to get out of bounds and prevent injury. Of course he was extra injury conscious and would get out of bounds short of the marker before the defenders got there, just in case.

Second, with regard to Amendola, he didn't launch (defenders right, body moving left - I expect you would have to be pointing toward the target to launch, unless the target is the sideline as it was in this case). He is running toward the sideline (out of bounds) and away from the defenders. He turns his lead shoulder down and tucks his head into his chest. What ninja skill do you see him employing, from your apparent substantial knowledge as a professional athlete, other than falling on the field 5 yards earlier and getting the touch from defenders, that might have avoided that result? As others have pointed out, people did not like Lloyd because he fell and offered few YACs. You apparently prefer the flop, so we will duly inform Patriots receiver coaches of your preference, and desire to mentor these professional athletes on the "Brady6 Ninja receiver" system in which you move through and around defenders like the wind without injury or adverse results. Good grief.

Brady6 thinks he should have leapt three yards to the sideline as soon as the defenders were within 5 yards of him.

So what are you saying? Amendola should realize what almost every receiver in the NFL should do in that situation - throw the ball out of bounds, dive to the ground, and curl into the fetal position? Really?!?

Amendola did the same thing that most receiver do and should do. He fought for the first down and protected his body. Ninety-nine out of a hundred times, the receiver in this situation pops up and go back into the huddle. It was an illegal hit by a team that was head hunting yesterday. I guarantee you the defender will be seeing a nice five figure fine this week for that hit.

If Belichick was coaching his receivers what to do on that play, he would have had them do exactly what Amendola did. He protected himself and the ball and he was illegally hit.

This thread is like talking calculus with a second grader. My first ever use of the thread ignore function.

Instead of worrying about being right or wrong, worry about Amendola. That hit had him knocked out before he hit the ground. Hopefully he is okay and can contribute along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back