PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thru week 6 Amendola has only proven his critics correct…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who says that Amendola's injury yesterday falls under the injry prone category just don't know what you are talking about. Amendola was cheap shot with a head to head hit. If that was Welker, he would have gone down too. There was nothing Amendola could have done to prevent it and there was no way he could have avoided a concussion no matter how durable he was.

You can argue the groin injury is part of his injury prone tag, but no player can withstand a helmet to helmet hit by a player who comes across the field full speed leading with his head.

Something really odd is exactly 366 days prior to yesterday Wes Welker took a far more brutal hit in week 6 against the Seahawks….

Wes Welker Gets JACKED UP by Brandon Browner - YouTube

I didn't even think he got hit in the head. Just kind of to the shoulder. But if your head accelerates fast enough, you'll get a concussion.

Don't know if it's fair to say that he's no good after 6 weeks. Sample size is small.

It’s a play that Brady and Amendola should have made, however it doesn’t make a difference to the scope of this conversation, we’re 6 weeks in to the season and like it or not Danny Amendola has not done anything in those 6 weeks to discredit what his critics said when he was signed, it is what is.

I responded to that because you blame Amendola for an errant throw by Brady. As you pointed it out in your post, if Brady makes the throw and Amendola gets 6, as appeared likely, does that affect your opinion? Amendola got open, which is what he is paid to do, and Brady missed him. It is that simple. There is no magical ability of receivers to jump 6 feet on the run, or will a ball down to earth. The fact Brady is off should not affect opinions of Amendola on the play.

I would agree, if the season ended today at Game 6, that Amendola has not earned his paycheck. At this point, Vereen hasn't either. He got hurt quickly as well. Nor has Gronk, who hasn't played a snap. But given the fact the Pats are 6 games into a 16 game regular season, that is like talking bad stock picks after a single bad day rather than trends and total returns on investment. Would you sell a good stock and take a loss because the market dips one day? Not too bright if you do.

To most Sox fans, J.D. Drew was a waste of space. Couldn't stay healthy, and didn't produce. With one swing of his bat in the playoffs in 2007, a grand slam in an elimination game, everybody's opinion of him changed, if only for a moment. The fact is, some of the posters here were claiming Welker wasn't clutch and didn't produce in the playoffs. If Amendola does that one thing, if he is clutch in the playoffs, and only catches 25 regular season passes, then is that transaction a success or failure? He wasn't brought in for his fantasy football numbers. And the team is winning.

The discussion is way too premature. Let's see what happens, before you claim you are right or wrong as to what Amendola can do in the season.

One other key factor is that in our offense the slot receiver must be efficient in terms of a reception to target ration, Welker had always caught between 68% to 74% of his targets during his time here, Edelman is currently catching 67% of his targets but Amendola is only catching 59% of the targets his way, that percentage maybe acceptable for an outside X receiver but not someone coming out of the slot and playing underneath.

Ummm.

Julian Edelman vs Saints: 5-11 for 45.5%, 57 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT, 5.2 YPA, 23.7 target rating

https://twitter.com/DeeepThreat/status/389765065055805440

Submitted without comment :)

It is not a stupid thread, and that was not a freak injury if you feel otherwise I don’t know what to tell you but Amendola had the ball in his hand and was running at the defender, he could have and should have braced himself for contact.

At the end of the day no hard feelings on this pal, I am not pleased with Amendola in any way shape or form, I fully expect if this continues over the remainder of the season Amendola will go the way of Brandon Lloyd, Greg Salas, Daniel Fells and the rest of Josh McDaniel’s brilliant idea’s, what does it say about your personnel choices when Michael Hoomanawanui is the best of the bunch…. My true intent on the this sunny Columbus day was to roll out of bed and bash Josh McDaniel’s because I think he SUCKS ass and rides Brady’s coattails but one of the moderators must of caught wind of my epic Columbus day plans and were prepared to immediately move that thread to the practice squad forum, so I had to move on to McDaniel’s lackey and attack him on a sneak level. I will try the direct McDaniel’s attack again on Christmas and see if it sticks in the main forum longer :D

How? Act like a turtle and tuck his his head into his shell? Here is the image of the hit. He was trying to protect himself while he was cheap shot. Amendola tried to turn his body so that his shoulder and back would take most of the hit, but the defender went head hunting.

amendola.gif

Something really odd is exactly 366 days prior to yesterday Wes Welker took a far more brutal hit in week 6 against the Seahawks….

Wes Welker Gets JACKED UP by Brandon Browner - YouTube

What is your point? Welker took a legal shot where the defender led with his shoulder and hit Welker in the chest. Amendola took a cheap shot where the defender hit him helmet to helmet. I am sure if Amendola took the hit that Welker did, he would have popped up just fine.

Or is your point that Welker made himself taller on that play to avoid a hit to the head while Amendola didn't?

This thread is ridiculous. It was a helmet-to-helmet hit perpetrated by the defender. Is Amendola supposed to be concussion-proof? :bricks:

maybe not concussion proof, but when you are getting wrapped up on teh sideline, maybe instead of trying to get 1 more yard go out of bounds or go down.

Amendola seems to try to get into big hits, and thats what is causing all his injuries, he doesnt protect himself at all.

Pop in some game tape of the things Welker did over the past 6 years, Amendola could have done any number of those things.

It is frustrating and legitimizes the injury issues, but this comment is asinine. On that particularly play, there was nothing he could do except give up on the run.

So you are seriously advocating that he shouldn't have tried for the first down?

Yes, just like QBs are taught to slide in that situation, if it makes sense for one it should make sense for the other.

Yes, just like QBs are taught to slide in that situation, if it makes sense for one it should make sense for the other.

which is kind of ironic because last year this whole board got on Brandon Lloyd for NOT fighting for the extra yard and taking hits..now we get on guys for doing the exact opposite

Yes there is. You watch the games. That's what coaches do. I love Edelman, but compiling more statistics because you get twice as many looks as usual is just compiling statistics.

If Lawrence Taylor misses a few games and a backup linebacker manages a handful of sacks, that doesn't make him better than Lawrence Taylor.

An extreme example? Sure. But it uses the same logic.

If that backup LB went on to have 14 sacks in a season, it shows he's pretty good.

Edelman isn't the route runner of Danny or Wes, but he sure gets open downfield more often. I like a slot that can stretch the field a little more, like TY Hilton.

except for the fact that Amendola is taller and weighs more than Edelman.

Like I said Edelman is bigger, faster, and stronger :croc:

Amendola
Height: 5’11
Weight: 183
40 Yrd Dash: 4.68
20 Yrd Dash: 2.65
10 Yrd Dash: 1.51
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 13
Vertical Jump: 27 1/2
Broad Jump: 08'07"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.25
3-Cone Drill: 6.81

Edelman
Weight: 195
40 Yrd Dash: 4.52
20 Yrd Dash: 2.58
10 Yrd Dash: 1.52
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 14
Vertical Jump: 36 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'03"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 3.92
3-Cone Drill: 6.62

wouldnt you rather have 2 good receivers than one? :rolleyes: Both will help our team.

If the NFL did not have a salary cap yes of course, or if Amendola was not making $5 mil a season sure thing, but if we were not willing to pay Lloyd $3 mil for his production I have a really hard time foreseeing Amendola and his 16 catches in 6 weeks sticking around.

and lets be honest, its total revisionist history at this point to say "well we shoudlve had edelman instead of amendola" to this point, Edelman never had more than 300+ yards in a season and had dealt with several injuries on his own...no team wanted to sign him this summer which is why he came back to the pats. Its great he's having a breakout season as I always thought he was a talented receiver who just needed more playing time/to remain healthy

Edelman has 411 yards this season? And he had 359 yards as a rookie, what are you talking about?

What Edelman received for offers in the offseason doesn’t really matter anymore, he was behind the best slot receiver in the game the prior 4 years, Amendola was out in St Louis as a starter and the primary target so obviously they both did not have equal opportunities in their first 4 seasons, but if you look at it on a target/reception ratio Edelman has done more with his opportunities in every single statistical category in his career then Amendola.

Amendola on the other hand was a pretty solid receiver for the Rams with sam bradford throwing to him. he's still a talented receiver. and to blame him for the concussion is rediculous. any player would be knocked out on that hit.

Danny took an end around, he had the defenders in front of him he knew where the sidelines were, he should have anticipated that Jenkins was going to launch to prevent him from diving for the first down, fact is Amendola did not do anything to protect himself he acted in complete disregard and for that reason I do hold him responsible for the outcome on some level. Watch the play again.

Amendola Hit vs Saints - YouTube

If that backup LB went on to have 14 sacks in a season, it shows he's pretty good.

Edelman isn't the route runner of Danny or Wes, but he sure gets open downfield more often. I like a slot that can stretch the field a little more, like TY Hilton.

Or Danny Amendola (if Brady's pass had been on the money).

maybe not concussion proof, but when you are getting wrapped up on teh sideline, maybe instead of trying to get 1 more yard go out of bounds or go down.

Amendola seems to try to get into big hits, and thats what is causing all his injuries, he doesnt protect himself at all.

Huh? It was bang bang play. Both defenders got to Amendola about the same time. It wasn't like one defender wrapped up against Amendola and Amendola refused to go down. The first defender hit Amendola and then immediately after that, the second defender hit him helmet to helmet. Look at the gif I posted. It didn't happen anything like you describe.

No I saw it man, he played well, but its 1 game Nuts, 1 game is not something that puts him in the class of Talib and Gronkowski, Talib has arguably been the DPOY over the first 6 weeks of the season and Gronkowski had the best season by a tight end in NFL history.

I guess it comes down to this, do you think Amendola is going to contribute that much more to this team to justify paying him $5 mil if we could resign Edelman for $2-$3 in the offseason? Personally I do not, that’s just my stance, and it very well could be wrong but it right now I am going to stick with it until proven otherwise.

Brady6, I understand you position on Amendola, and yes there it nothing wrong with having an on going discussion regarding our players, coaches, team and decisions by all . . .

However, I think you need to be patient with Amendola . . . first off, without getting into a deep Amendola-Welker discussion, both he and Wes were injured coming into this season, both suffered season ending injuries in their careers, with Welkers only coming at the end of the year and Amendola's at the start, so the numbers might be different if we simply reverse those two chances of fate . . . with Welkers age and the fact that he has been injured too, the Amendola/Welker decision is not as clear in Welker's favor as some may think . . .

Second, as for your comment about cutting the guy, I will just point you to the direction of value . . . whether you agree with it or not . . . this is what the pats do . . .be it picking a guy 6th in the QB list in 2000 and then keeping him as a 4th QB on the roster, and we know the history of this individual and as some have adopted his position in the draft as a nick . . . or it maybe picking injury prone DB (Dowling) that does not make it and we "wasted" a 2nd round pick . . . or be it take 1st round level TEs low do to their injury history (Gronk) or problems (Ahern), both have carry through there value problems, as Ahern is gone and Gronk has had injuries . . . so it happens and what we do . . . I think we need to give Amendola more time than 6 games . . . also as we have given the above players time, so should we give Amendola

Third, with respect to Gronk, his was an injury risk . . . and given that we see he was restricted in SB 46 perhaps to our dismay. Indeed, he was about a yard short from a catching that TD to win SB 46 . . . some might say it was a freak injury (our buddy Pollard landing on his ankle) and had nothing to do with his injury history (mostly bad related), which I would agree with, but some might take and run with it . . . also we had his forearm injury and missing AFFCG, again a key miss for Gronk , and not playing this year . . . so what are your thoughts on Gronk, should we cut him, cry why he got such a big contract, or be patient and give him this year and next to see how things pan . . .

Fourth, yes Amendola is smaller physically than Welker and perhaps Edelmen, but he has less wear on his tires than Welker, had indeed help us in at least one game, the Buffalo game, and given the fact that he is only 28, and we have had other injury-risk value players on our team that have incurred injuries not related to their injury history, . . . there is nothing wrong with giving Amendola some time . . . maybe he will be out for the next three years , , , but then again , maybe he plays a Branch type season of playing 12-15 games a year but is money in the playoffs . . .

Although there is nothing wrong with an on going discussion . . . but lets not throw the baby out with the bath water so early in his one tenor in NE, especially when we have watch Gronk go down, a GOAT level player kept on this roster, and the other person in question (Welker) has on no less than 4 occasions (all consecutive btw), 2009 - knee injury in Houston, 2010 - footsy comments, 2011 - dropped pass in SB that likely ices the game, and 2012 dropped a easy pass late in the first half that change the tenor of the AFCCG, has been involved significantly, or at least on some level, our playoffs whoas in the last 4 years . . . one not his fault knee injury, but when the other person in question you are cheering for has been involved in our playoffs in negative way (not to mention Gronk's injury contribution in jan/feb (and Ahern being injured in 2010) I am not buying your "he is injured let cut him" talk . . .

Danny took an end around, he had the defenders in front of him he knew where the sidelines were, he should have anticipated that Jenkins was going to launch to prevent him from diving for the first down, fact is Amendola did not do anything to protect himself he acted in complete disregard and for that reason I do hold him responsible for the outcome on some level. Watch the play again.

6shb37t9fraz6rx_580.jpg

Like I said Edelman is bigger, faster, and stronger :croc:

Amendola
Weight: 183
40 Yrd Dash: 4.68
20 Yrd Dash: 2.65
10 Yrd Dash: 1.51
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 13
Vertical Jump: 27 1/2
Broad Jump: 08'07"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.25
3-Cone Drill: 6.81

Edelman
Weight: 195
40 Yrd Dash: 4.52
20 Yrd Dash: 2.58
10 Yrd Dash: 1.52
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 14
Vertical Jump: 36 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'03"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 3.92
3-Cone Drill: 6.62

If the NFL did not have a salary cap yes of course, or if Amendola was not making $5 mil a season sure thing, but if we were not willing to pay Lloyd $3 mil for his production I have a really hard time foreseeing Amendola and his 16 catches in 6 weeks sticking around.

Edelman has 411 yards this season? And he had 359 yards as a rookie, what are you talking about?

What Edelman received for offers in the offseason doesn’t really matter anymore, he was behind the best slot receiver in the game the prior 4 years, Amendola was out in St Louis as a starter and the primary target so obviously they both did not have equal opportunities in their first 4 seasons, but if you look at it on a target/reception ratio Edelman has done more with his opportunities in every single statistical category in his career then Amendola.

So you are saying football players should flop to the ground when someone is going to hit them?

wow.....:bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes