PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The use of the term 'We' from ANY football fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intelligence has nothing to do with the issue at hand. Smart people buy into the "we" mentality too. As for autographs and the like, I actually did sign a 'precious' few when I was playing, but it certainly wasn't any significant number, and I'd imagine that every one of the handful or so have long since been discarded. That doesn't change the point, however.

Buying a book does not make you part of the team, nor does asking for an autograph. It doesn't mean you're suiting up on Sunday. It doesn't mean that you're working in the clubhouse or the locker room. It just means that you are enjoying the product enough to make a purchase or ask for an autograph.
Build a bridge and get over it.

You are so concerned about what other people say and so insistent that everyone defines everything the way you do, even when that is not the general case.

Most of the country refers to "Raider Nation," Red Sox Nation," "Patriots Nation," etc and say "we" referring to the team and its ardent supporters and the geographical region it represents.

Think, "We fought the British in the Revolutionary war, and again in the War of 1812." Think, "We have tough zoning laws in our town." (By your and the OP's definition, "our team" applies only to the Krafts and not to the fans or even the players.)

But mostly, stop worrying about how the rest of the world is wrong and you are right. There are no technicalities in language. Language is defined by usage.

And for Pete's sake, get a life of you own to live. Stop trying to live ours.

I think that Bob Kraft or any other owner for that matter would recognize the fans as being a crucial member bloc of the organization.

Indeed he would because revenue goes a long way. A hell of a long way. Fans are integral and any fool who thinks they aren't is a bit thick.

The use of "we" is a non issue. If your paying good money on season tickets, individual tickets and merchandise aswell as getting off your ***** to go and watch in my eyes your can say whatever the f*ck you want.

Yeah, i know what you mean.. when you hear some idiot like a Buckeye fan or Alabama fan or Cowboy/Dolphin fan .. or any other fan of the NFL use it over and over.. they sound like idiots..i try to use it as little as i can

You are nothing but a watcher and purchaser. Those involved in the business, from the owners to the players and media, milk you for every dollar they can. They don't do that because you're a part of the team. They do that because you are the consumer. You can keep claiming to be part of an imaginary "we" all you want. That "we" doesn't exist. When the Red Sox won the World Series, 'Bob' from Plainfield, Connecticut didn't win it too. When the Patriots won the Super Bowl, I didn't win it despite my investment of time and money. I was just a fan.

I'm starting to get the picture on you now. What a sad and negative post. I didn't know that Pats fans could hate other Pats fans, but you have proved me wrong.

I try my best to use it as little as I can but it still gets a bit irritating when you see posts like 'WE' should draft so and so or 'WE' should sign Randy Moss to an extension or why did 'WE' not win the Super Bowl? ect,ect,ect:

Does the use of 'WE' as a fan irritate you just a bit when you read a post saying 'WE' should have done this,or do you think 'WE' is acceptible?.

All I know is that 'I' am only a fan just like 'YOU' and its 'OUR' team but have no say in anything that goes on and the use of the term 'WE' becomes fantasy as if in our own minds we think that any of us have any input or any real importance into this organization with the exception of yelling and rooting for the team and buying logo stuff ect:

When a poster uses 'WE' does it bother you the least bit or not?

It depends. I tend to use if for brevity. Instead of typing The Patriots this, The Patriots that, its easier to type we.
I don't see any problem for example calling the Patriots 'us' or 'we' when talking to fellow Patsfans about the Pats.
I do find it irritating when it is used talking to opponent fans, i.e. 'we are going to destroy you guys'.

I agree. What have you done to help us?

Just kidding. I always try to avoid the first person when discussing the Pats. But sometimes I slip into it, and it doesn't bother me when others use it.

I agree, I try to avoid it but it is our team, our emotional (although illogical attachment). Nothing wrong with saying we, we are fans not the Harvard School of Professional Journalism...

It is funny when Gil and Gino say "We"... if you are going to be a homer why even try to be overt.

I agree, I try to avoid it but it is our team, our emotional (although illogical attachment). Nothing wrong with saying we, we are fans not the Harvard School of Professional Journalism...

It is funny when Gil and Gino say "We"... if you are going to be a homer why even try to be overt.[/quote]

:rocker::rocker::rocker:

How clear does it have to be?

No fan = No league

So who cares if "I am watching people do what I can't", because they wouldn't be doing it for a living, if I and people like me didn't watch.

Get it?

It is amazing that some people can't grasp simple concepts.

Last edited:
I don't really talk like that, but I don't mind it

Everyday I come here hoping that this thread is dead. But no, it's like a ****roach.

edit: ha, I love that ****roach! For those that aren't aware, ****roach is the surly cousin of the penisroach.

Last edited:
I try my best to use it as little as I can but it still gets a bit irritating when you see posts like 'WE' should draft so and so or 'WE' should sign Randy Moss to an extension or why did 'WE' not win the Super Bowl? ect,ect,ect:

Does the use of 'WE' as a fan irritate you just a bit when you read a post saying 'WE' should have done this,or do you think 'WE' is acceptible?.

All I know is that 'I' am only a fan just like 'YOU' and its 'OUR' team but have no say in anything that goes on and the use of the term 'WE' becomes fantasy as if in our own minds we think that any of us have any input or any real importance into this organization with the exception of yelling and rooting for the team and buying logo stuff ect:

When a poster uses 'WE' does it bother you the least bit or not?

Not only is it easier to type , or simply speak in collective terms, I just like to pretend that I am participating in the decisions. I freely say " we should draft a corner" , or , "we should need to run the ball and control the clock".

I don't go to movies , I or really watch much television other than football and baseball. I actually have a life. Watching the patriots and talking about sports takes me away from the pressures of my job and allows me to live vicariously through may favorite team for a few hours on sunday. In my world, the patriots and I are one. "WE" win and lose together.

You're just pumping yourself up on the internet.

Well if the team isn't playing to represent us and we aren't part of Patriots Nation then we should all stop going to games and watching them on TV. I mean if they aren't playing for us, then why waste our time?

Let them play in front of an empty stadium and see how long that lasts.

Football and sports in general started as extracurricular activities to represent high schools and colleges. Professional leagues were then created to represent cities. Its not just a game played in a vacuum, they are OUR team, they represent us. Without us, they would not exist.

Sports are different than other consumer products, they appeal to people on an emotional level. That is why they have anti trust exemptions and why cities spend tax dollars to build stadiums.

Everyday I come here hoping that this thread is dead. But no, it's like a ****roach.

edit: ha, I love that ****roach! For those that aren't aware, ****roach is the surly cousin of the penisroach.

LOL!!! Good one PJ!

I was skiing with my nephews over the weekend and they were making fun of ****'s sporting goods and Cox cable....wish I'd thought of ****roach.

penisroach???....frantically searches boxer shorts....

i cant believe this thread is 14 pgs long:confused:
who cares if someone says 'we'.

this thread is almost as stupid as the 10 threads about us trading for safeties. :bricks: oops, i said 'us', i meant the patriots:D

I don't have any problem with it. As any language spoken by the masses some things shouldn't be taken literally. My son for example heading out the door to work a few minutes late said "I'm going to have to fly to make it by eight." He didn't literally fly. He drove. Does that sort of thing bother you?

When I'm done wasting time on patsfans.com, I'm going to tackle my project plan for a client. I'm not literally going to tackle anything. I going to type and proof-read. Does that bother you?

I don't understand why certain people pick out things in the language that upset them but aren't upset about all the other things.

We all KNOW they aren't literally members of the organization. If you are going to get upset about something, why can't it be something with a little more depth to it?

I haven't read the entire thread (or even that much of it) so I apologize if someone already said this:

I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Bill Belichick is the Walrus.

If you'd played the 3-superbowl DVD backwards, you'd already know this.

i cant believe this thread is 14 pgs long:confused:
who cares if someone says 'we'.

this thread is almost as stupid as the 10 threads about us trading for safeties. :bricks: oops, i said 'us', i meant the patriots:D

I agree, I can't believe this topic is 137 posts already. If the use of "we" by sports fans in reference to the team is the greatest concern you have, then I wish I had your life.

I haven't read the entire thread (or even that much of it) so I apologize if someone already said this:

I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Bill Belichick is the Walrus.

If you'd played the 3-superbowl DVD backwards, you'd already know this.

I heard something about a little toolshead and Satan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back