PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The use of the term 'We' from ANY football fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're so dumb you need a helmet. But that only makes it worse.

You're so dumb you need a helmet. But that only makes it worse.

How did you know I wear a helmut? It's one of those tin foil ones to keep the voices out!;)

Last edited:
Since this is a democracy, why don't we just have a vote. All those in favor of referring to the sports teams you root for as "your" team?

Last edited:
Since this is a democracy, why don't we just have a vote. All those in favor of refering the sports teams you root for as "your" team?

YAY or NAY

I say "YAY"

Last edited:
I think that Bob Kraft or any other owner for that matter would recognize the fans as being a crucial member bloc of the organization.

I sometimes slip into "me" instead of "we" or "them".

"ME WON!"

I try my best to use it as little as I can but it still gets a bit irritating when you see posts like 'WE' should draft so and so or 'WE' should sign Randy Moss to an extension or why did 'WE' not win the Super Bowl? ect,ect,ect:

Does the use of 'WE' as a fan irritate you just a bit when you read a post saying 'WE' should have done this,or do you think 'WE' is acceptible?.

All I know is that 'I' am only a fan just like 'YOU' and its 'OUR' team but have no say in anything that goes on and the use of the term 'WE' becomes fantasy as if in our own minds we think that any of us have any input or any real importance into this organization with the exception of yelling and rooting for the team and buying logo stuff ect:

When a poster uses 'WE' does it bother you the least bit or not?
i use we all the time because i support the team financially i.e.season ticket.so i beg your pardon.PN

As U.S. Citizens, we say 'we' are americans.
Well, in a way, I consider us members of Patriot Nation or Red Sox Nation.
I think it is easier done in NCAA athletics as you are truly a member of a 'team' as an alum. Like Carolina and Dook fans often use 'we' and 'you' when arguing with each other.
Regardless, there are too many other things to get annoyed with than the use of the first person.
thank you for saying that pittpatriot.enuff said.PN

I try my best to use it as little as I can but it still gets a bit irritating when you see posts like 'WE' should draft so and so or 'WE' should sign Randy Moss to an extension or why did 'WE' not win the Super Bowl? ect,ect,ect:

Does the use of 'WE' as a fan irritate you just a bit when you read a post saying 'WE' should have done this,or do you think 'WE' is acceptible?.

All I know is that 'I' am only a fan just like 'YOU' and its 'OUR' team but have no say in anything that goes on and the use of the term 'WE' becomes fantasy as if in our own minds we think that any of us have any input or any real importance into this organization with the exception of yelling and rooting for the team and buying logo stuff ect:

dude - relax.

Wake up Deus. when I played football in high school and we beat our rivals, any student from my school would say "We beat them" and that was correct. The team represents the school and we all win.

In support of Deus, I was more likely to hear "You guys beat them" or "You guys played a great game" then "We beat them" or "We played a great game." Looking back, I think "you guys" was the correct semantical choice in that situation.

Obviously there are shades of meaning here. I doubt even the strongest "we" advocate here would slap Richard Seymour on the back in the express line and say "we really let our foot off the gas on defense, didn't we?"

I think we (the fans) - or at least I, a fan - should draw the line at anything that implies participation in the game or in front office decision making, e.g. "We need to cut Ellis Hobbs" or "We really suck in the Red Zone." Saying something like "Our offense really sucks in the red zone" sounds much better and is still reasonably possessive.

We use "we" and "our" team to show possession. I think it would be confusing if we starting saying "I can't believe they beat them." Thats why you say "I can't believe they beat US", because it identifies US as the team WE are rooting for, otherwise which team is which?

When they stop having Parades in the city in which the team represents, then I'll stop referring to the team as "ours".

Last edited:
I have'nt seen a thread this sucky in a while.

Attachments

• sucks7.jpg
    sucks7.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 53
Much like my children, it's my team when things go well, and my wife's team when they screw up.:D

Yup, it's a bad habit. But it's harmless.

I'd spend my energy trying to get people to stop throwing their dirty cigarette butts out their car windows. :snob:

The only problem is when fake fans start talking like they own the team and know whats best.

No big deal at all for a fan of any team to use the term "we".

I am a full fledged user of the term "WE"

Because it is accurate. WE buy tickets, merchandise, watch the games, post on message boards, ect...

Which ...
a) Puts money directly into the owners hand to pay for players
b) Uses us as mobile ad machines for the team
c) Generates buzz for a game in order to do more a, and b

I look at it as a stock market, and I'm all in with the Pats... If it wasn't for the fans, there would be no team, that is a fact. The team needs the fans, more than the fans need the team. So yes, WE are a great team, and I am a part of the Patriot Organization, I may not collecting a paycheck from them, but consider me an intern.

All I know is that 'I' am only a fan just like 'YOU' and its 'OUR' team but have no say in anything that goes on and the use of the term 'WE' becomes fantasy as if in our own minds we think that any of us have any input or any real importance into this organization with the exception of yelling and rooting for the team and buying logo stuff ect?

You don't think you have any say?
This is mor reflecting of the change in our culture than anything... we used to believe in the power of protest, and the individual, somewhere along the lines, we were told one person doesn't matter... not sure how that was achieved...

Either way, if you feel a certain way, chances are a LOT of other fans feel that way. You ( as a fan ) choose the new logo, it was market tested, and I think it was even fan submitted. You personally may not have been involved, but fans were asked, and fans responded...

If the new logo was horrible, and most peopel didnt like it, sales would go down, and you send yoru message with your money.

ONE person not buying a hat = nothing, but chances are if your not buying it, so are many many other fans...

All the power lies in the individual.

Bill B. Lost his job in Cleveland because of the Fans.

P.S. Troy Brown thanks the Fans for having a roster spot on this team the last 3 seasons...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back