PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats are working out!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt organized workouts are overly significant.

What matters is if the players are staying in shape or not. If getting together cause them to work out harder -- then great. But that is all I see the advantage in team get together is it gives them the proverbial jogging partner. Whether our WR are running routes with Brady or not is of little concern. What is of concern is that the WR are in running condition when the labor dispute ends.

But they don't even HAVE playbooks. These guys are not going to accomplish much without coaching except, perhaps, avoiding getting too far out of shape. Have you seen any videos of these "workouts" on NFLN? They're just going through the motions and tossing the ball around. Like I mentioned earlier, they're good for some camaraderie but not much else. I guarantee nobody is getting a leg up on the competition.

How do you know the players don't have playbooks? Do you have any proof of that? I'm sure that when the lockout was lifted, the organization wasn't sitting around.

It's pretty silly for you to be making guarantees when most of those workouts aren't even being covered by the media.

I'm going to qualify that I don't share your opinion because I have intimate knowledge and experience with elite level sports. You can never replicate game intensity that doesn't mean you don't try, even in the midst of a lockout or off-season issues.

Believe me Tunescribe, I'm not sure many people understand or have observed the dedication of athletes in their chosen field. Unless you're involved in the sporting industry in an elite capacity, you won't understand it.

Where there is a will there's a way. I happen to believe the NFL players (especially those in strong organizations) are getting some sort of edge.

Please share more about your knowledge and experience -- does it involve NFL football? In the U.S.? I've personally spent a lot of time around NFL players, personnel and facilities as a working journalist for three daily newspapers and (former) copy editor at Patriots Football Weekly. I was a college athlete, the son of a coach and have a college degree in athletic coaching. I'm a 17-year Patriots season ticket holder; following pro football is an abiding passion of mine. Believe me when I say that these player-organized workouts are of little value re., tangible competitive advantage.

How do you know the players don't have playbooks? Do you have any proof of that? I'm sure that when the lockout was lifted, the organization wasn't sitting around.

It's pretty silly for you to be making guarantees when most of those workouts aren't even being covered by the media.

What suggests to you that the players DO have playbooks? The lockout was "technically" lifted at the court level for a few short days while the league petitioned for, and was granted, a stay. To my knowledge there was no return to business as usual at team facilities during that brief period. Aside from that, the possession of playbooks alone likely would not mean much without supervised implementation.

As for "guarantees" on these workouts' effectiveness, I have made none. But anyone with a clue who's been around this game any period of time knows the score on that. But, don't take my word for it. Just tune in to NFLN, where the ex-player commentators characterize them as equivalent to hanging around the office water cooler.

Last edited:

Do you ever step back and read what you write?

You constantly ask for links or proof. Just relax, tunes made a very good point. Even if players had a playbook it would be a very shortened one. I also dont expect these "workouts" will help the Pats much since they're implementing some sort of new offensive gameplan this year.

Please share more about your knowledge and experience -- does it involve NFL football? In the U.S.? I've personally spent a lot of time around NFL players, personnel and facilities as a working journalist for three daily newspapers and (former) copy editor at Patriots Football Weekly. I was a college athlete, the son of a coach and have a college degree in athletic coaching. I'm a 17-year Patriots season ticket holder; following pro football is an abiding passion of mine. Believe me when I say that these player-organized workouts are of little value re., tangible competitive advantage.

What suggests to you that the players DO have playbooks? The lockout was "technically" lifted at the court level for a few short days while the league petitioned for, and was granted, a stay. To my knowledge there was no return to business as usual at team facilities during that brief period. Aside from that, the possession of playbooks alone likely would not mean much without supervised implementation.

As for "guarantees" on these workouts' effectiveness, I have made none. But anyone with a clue who's been around this game any period of time knows the score on that. But, don't take my word for it. Just tune in to NFLN, where the ex-player commentators characterize them as equivalent to hanging around the office water cooler.
You're a journalist? So that's where the sense of faux entitlement comes from. Fair enough. Nice résumé otherwise ;).

I think I'll stick with my standpoint given my experience with elite sports men and women.

Last edited:
A brief commercial .....

Sources: Group of 12-15 Patriots Conducting Organized, Football-Related Workouts - Jeff Howe - NESN.com

About 12-15 players have been conducting organized football-related workouts, according to sources. Since NESN.com's report in March, the number of players has increased in size, nearly doubling in total attendance.

Names were not given, but NESN.com reported in March that captain Jerod Mayo helped organize the workouts, which have involved gym sessions, plyometrics training (strength and speed) and field work.

The workouts are completely permissible because they're being run by players, and the Patriots' staff has not been involved. By working out together, their hope is to avoid injuries once training camp begins.

"We're working hard, and it's intense," one source said. "It's a football workout, and everybody comes in there day in and day out, grinding and ready to work and ready to go. I don't know too many people who are working out as hard as we are right now. We'll definitely be ready. All of the people there will be ready when football comes back around."

Now back to our regularly scheduled back-and-forth sniping and snide remarks.

Re: Patriots working out?

In fact, I think Brady said something about having to figure out which high schools to meet at. He has been in Boston and the Northeast quite a bit of late.

Oh, good. I was worried that as the lead plaintiff on the suit he might hold back for fear that working out would interfere with allegations of harm from the lockout, or something like that.

You're a journalist? So that's where the sense of faux entitlement comes from. Fair enough. Nice résumé otherwise ;).

I think I'll stick with my standpoint given my experience with elite sports men and women.

I have no sense of entitlement about anything; I just explained where my perspective came from on our topic of discussion. I do remain curious about your references to experience with "elite" athletes. What has it involved?

Peter King reported that with the judges flipping the lockout off and on, first-round picks officially were given playbooks, but later round picks weren't.

That said, I think a lot of playbooks have been copied and passed around already this offseason that wouldn't have been in any other year.

I have no sense of entitlement about anything; I just explained where my perspective came from on our topic of discussion. I do remain curious about your references to experience with "elite" athletes. What has it involved?
Olympic level sports with the Australian Institute of Sport. Without sounding condescending it's considerably more than casual observing and junior/college level involvement. I happen to believe that whatever the players are doing will be of benefit to them, especially from a culturally and sound organization in the Patriots.

The Pats would have planned for a CBA scenario as such. Naturally I don't expect the players to publicly broadcast that. There's always an edge to be found, even if it's slight.

Last edited:
From Mike Reiss:

2. With the Patriots not selecting an outside linebacker early in the draft, the spotlight will shine a bit brighter on second-year man Jermaine Cunningham’s development this season. Cunningham has been in town of late, where linebacker Jerod Mayo continues to show leadership in arranging workouts with teammates.

Quick-hit thoughts around NFL & Pats - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Olympic level sports with the Australian Institute of Sport.

Elite-level amateur sports. Got it. ;) What do you do there?

Without sounding condescending it's considerably more than casual observing and junior/college level involvement. I happen to believe that whatever the players are doing will be of benefit to them, especially from a culturally and sound organization in the Patriots.

The Pats would have planned for a CBA scenario as such. Naturally I don't expect the players to publicly broadcast that. There's always an edge to be found, even if it's slight.

Aus, you make a ton of assumptions and are extrapolating apples to oranges. Do you get the NFL Network down there? Its coverage and assessments of player-organized workouts illustrate my point. They're better than doing nothing, but not by a whole lot.

Elite-level amateur sports. Got it. ;) What do you do there?

Aus, you make a ton of assumptions and are extrapolating apples to oranges. Do you get the NFL Network down there? Its coverage and assessments of player-organized workouts illustrate my point. They're better than doing nothing, but not by a whole lot.
I'm going to ignore you for the duration of this thread. Don't be particularly offended when I fail to respond in this thread.

Last edited:
Do you ever step back and read what you write?

You constantly ask for links or proof. Just relax, tunes made a very good point. Even if players had a playbook it would be a very shortened one. I also dont expect these "workouts" will help the Pats much since they're implementing some sort of new offensive gameplan this year.

I've only asked for a link once, and that was for you to back up the statement you made which was highly suspect- but as I've been wrong in the past, I didn't jump on you, I merely asked you where you got your assertion from.

I am not the one who's claiming anything- you are the one who made the assertion that no playbooks were handed out, and I merely asked you what makes you so sure.

My thinking is this: even thought the lockout was lifted briefly, that was widely expected- even by the media. Most people were aware of the appeals process and that the NFL would quickly initiate this process. So unless the Patriots organization was asleep at the switch, they had to be aware of this as well and I'm sure they were ready to pounce on the short window of chance to get their players up to date.

Patriots players work out together - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

"We've been doing everything, but we're on the down-low," Gronkowski said in a piece now posted on ESPNBoston.com. "[Others teams] may go to the media, acting like they're some of the only teams doing it, but we're working hard out here too. We're just keeping it low."

The workouts have been held in Massachusetts and 10-15 players are regularly attending.

"We are intense. The workouts are insane," Gronkowski said. "We've been getting after it hard."

Last edited:
They are all about keeping it on the dl

I'm going to ignore you for the duration of this thread. Don't be particularly offended when I fail to respond in this thread.

Please stop fighting! This lockout is tearing our PatsFan family apart! :cry2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore