PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats are working out!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They've been working out for quite a while now. Reiss reported it quite some time ago.

They've been working out for quite a while now. Reiss reported it quite some time ago.

I figured they were doing it, I just hadn't heard it made public until now.

I put next to zero stock in these "organized" workouts by players. The best you can hope for is them getting to know one another a bit better.

I put next to zero stock in these "organized" workouts by players. The best you can hope for is them getting to know one another a bit better.

Agreed. The only huddling they are doing is around the water cooler in the gym and speculating over the, "what next" scenarios..

Jeff Howe says a group of 15+ Pats players are conducting workouts.

We've see a bunch of reporting about Drew Brees organizing workouts -- getting space, paying for a trainer, paying for accomodations for some of the younger/less affluent players, etc.

Any other team sounding that serious? Any other team sounding more serious than the Pats?

We've see a bunch of reporting about Drew Brees organizing workouts -- getting space, paying for a trainer, paying for accomodations for some of the younger/less affluent players, etc.

Any other team sounding that serious? Any other team sounding more serious than the Pats?

I really don't think it matters. The thing is, they can't work out hard enough to risk injury because they're technically not employed at the moment. So everything they do is probably not past half-speed, if that. Not much is being accomplished in these workouts.

I really don't think it matters. The thing is, they can't work out hard enough to risk injury because they're technically not employed at the moment. So everything they do is probably not past half-speed, if that. Not much is being accomplished in these workouts.
I don't agree. If you understand the mentality of an elite sportsperson you know they never do anything half arsed.

I disagree for some teams, agree for others. In NE or NO, there are no major coaching changes so the players getting more in tune with each other and the playbook is not a bad thing. Even half speed is better than no speed.

However for a team like the 49ers, with a brand new coaching staff, their workouts are probably of little importance.

I don't agree. If you understand the mentality of an elite sportsperson you know they never do anything half arsed.

I do hope your tongue was planted firmly in cheek when you wrote that.

I disagree for some teams, agree for others. In NE or NO, there are no major coaching changes so the players getting more in tune with each other and the playbook is not a bad thing. Even half speed is better than no speed.

However for a team like the 49ers, with a brand new coaching staff, their workouts are probably of little importance.

But they don't even HAVE playbooks. These guys are not going to accomplish much without coaching except, perhaps, avoiding getting too far out of shape. Have you seen any videos of these "workouts" on NFLN? They're just going through the motions and tossing the ball around. Like I mentioned earlier, they're good for some camaraderie but not much else. I guarantee nobody is getting a leg up on the competition.

Last edited:

But they don't even HAVE playbooks. These guys are not going to accomplish much without coaching except, perhaps, avoiding getting too far out of shape. Have you seen any videos of these "workouts" on NFLN? They're just going through the motions and tossing the ball around. Like I mentioned earlier, they're good for some camaraderie but not much else. I guarantee nobody is getting a leg up on the competition.
Why? I find your mentality embarrassing to think you can't get a heads up on your opposition by working out with your team mates in the offseason.

Keeping physically and mentally in shape cannot be understated. The physical stuff will take care of itself and I'm sure the players have yearly playbooks they can reference to keep mentally sharp.

I'm not sure I understand the point of your post or if you're just illustrating you've had no involvement with elite level sports.

If they were given a playbook during the few days the lockout was off, then they still have the playbook.

I thought I heard that Solder had been given some sort of playbook.

Also, Mayo has been the leader of running these workouts and has been running them for the last 3 weeks.

They may not OFFICIALLY have been given playbooks.

On the other hand, I expect that the fine this year for not turning in your playbook at the end of the season was somewhere in the vicinity of $0.53.

Indeed, probably nobody got around to imposing the fine before the lockout made it impermissible for them to do so ...

Last edited:
I'll be more concerned with the whole lockout/workout thing if/when it goes into the summer, say past the 4th of July or so. I believe that as elite NFL athletes, they are likely all staying in good shape anyways.

The bulk of just about everything takes place in training camp, so the majority of the players aren't missing too much anyways besides a mini-camp.

Now the rookies on the other hand, are going to have a much harder time trying to learn and catch up if this goes another couple of months.

As Fencer stated, they likely had some plan in place regarding playbooks at the end of the year, if they didn't end up taking advantage of the one-day window from a couple of weeks ago.

Why? I find your mentality embarrassing to think you can't get a heads up on your opposition by working out with your team mates in the offseason.

Keeping physically and mentally in shape cannot be understated. The physical stuff will take care of itself and I'm sure the players have yearly playbooks they can reference to keep mentally sharp.

I'm not sure I understand the point of your post or if you're just illustrating you've had no involvement with elite level sports.

Aus ... God bless you, I hardly know where to begin. There are myriad reasons why these players can't (and won't) come close to approximating real-time practice intensity and efficiency on their own, during a lockout, vs. serious prep under coaching guidance. They don't have playbooks, although they certainly have individually tailored off-season conditioning/technique practice regimens. Quarterbacks working with receivers they're not already familiar with might be of limited benefit, but free agency hasn't happened yet and rookies aren't involved. The first and best good to come of these sessions is oriented toward camaraderie/morale and goes little beyond that. I know what I'm talking about.

The only people this counts for are the WRs and Brady. The WRs better get their butts to LA.

Aus ... God bless you, I hardly know where to begin. There are myriad reasons why these players can't (and won't) come close to approximating real-time practice intensity and efficiency on their own, during a lockout, vs. serious prep under coaching guidance. They don't have playbooks, although they certainly have individually tailored off-season conditioning/technique practice regimens. Quarterbacks working with receivers they're not already familiar with might be of limited benefit, but free agency hasn't happened yet and rookies aren't involved. The first and best good to come of these sessions is oriented toward camaraderie/morale and goes little beyond that. I know what I'm talking about.
I'm going to qualify that I don't share your opinion because I have intimate knowledge and experience with elite level sports. You can never replicate game intensity that doesn't mean you don't try, even in the midst of a lockout or off-season issues.

Believe me Tunescribe, I'm not sure many people understand or have observed the dedication of athletes in their chosen field. Unless you're involved in the sporting industry in an elite capacity, you won't understand it.

Where there is a will there's a way. I happen to believe the NFL players (especially those in strong organizations) are getting some sort of edge.

Last edited:

I am pretty sure that by this time, the Patriots have qualified as an organization that doesn't do anything half-ass.

And as for being injured, I am sure that the players have made arrangements for alternative health care coverages, such as COBRA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back