PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Onslought of Tebow Only Fans (TOF)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A week ago I was on board with the signing. I figured no big deal. I was wrong. I seriously underestimated the blind, hysterical, irrational following this guy has. Joker and the others were right. Mea culpa...

any way you can back what you said up and show us quotes? On the flip side I will show you plenty of blind hysterical hating for no reason.

Please name me "tons of players...missed by everyone" after multiple years in the league. Does not happen. It's not as if he's slipped under the radar screen.

By tons of players being missed by everyone, I meant lots of players go undrafted, skipped numerous times by every team, yet turn out to be players. The multiple years criteria wasn't part of the original equation, but I'll play along since it only takes ONE example to prove you wrong if you're saying it does not happen.

James Harrison went undrafted, signed with the Steelers, was cut 3 times while bouncing on and off the practice squad, signed with the Ravens the next year and played in NFL Europe before being cut again, then signed again with the Steelers. 3 years after everyone passed on him, he would start 3 games, and 2 more years would pass before he became a full-time starter.

So you're wrong, it happens.

Wait, there's more!

Wes Welker went undrafted, signed with the Chargers, got cut, played special teams for the Dolphins before starting to emerge in his third season with 67 catches, which still didn't indicate what he would become. Also worth noting: we drafted P.K. Sam the year Welker went undrafted.

Antonio Pierce signed as an UDFA with the Redskins and got to start 8 games his first season due to injuries, but played very little the next two seasons before getting a chance to start again due to injuries. He would become a starter and captain on the Giants D.

Bart Scott went undrafted, played special teams for 3 years at a high level but didn't get a chance to play defense until Ray Lewis was injured, then became a full-time starter for the Ravens and Jets.

Jason Peters went undrafted in 2004, signed with the Bills, and then got cut (by the Bills!), back to the practice squad, then wedge busting on ST for a few years before getting his chance in 2006 and becoming a full-time starter and Pro Bowler.

Fred Jackson went undrafted, tried out and didn't make it for the Bears, Broncos, and Packers, then spent 2 seasons in indoor football leagues, and another season in NFL Europe before catching on with the Bills, where he would spend 2 more seasons as a back-up until becoming a starter.

Maybe you think it happens only at other positions, that it couldn't possibly happen at the most important position on the field, quarterback.

Tell that to Jeff Garcia, who went undrafted, spent 5 years in the CFL before getting a chance in the NFL, then going onto 4 Pro Bowls.

Or Tony Romo, undrafted QB who sat the bench for 3 years, at risk of being cut until Quincy Carter failed a drug test, then went on to 3 Pro Bowls.

Or HOFer Warren Moon, who went undrafted and spent his first 6 seasons in the CFL before 9 Pro Bowls and 3 All Pros.

Or Kurt Warner, who went undrafted in 1994, signed with the Packers, got cut, played in the Arena Football League for several seasons before getting his chance with the Rams, parlaying it into 2 MVP trophies and a Super Bowl.

I'm not saying it happens a lot. And I'm not even saying Tim Tebow is going to join the list of names above.

All I'm saying is yes, it does happen. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

In fairness shmessy, your post came across as a "Tebow wasn't brought here for football reasons, rather, it was just to sell jerseys."

Am perfectly willing to accept that you didn't mean it that way.

Both.

One is a possibility (that he can learn to be an effective thrower in the NFL).

One is a sure thing (that the franchise will make an easy buck off merchandise, while paying him the minimum).

Covertedpatsfan gave us a very good list of players who went unloved before hitting it big. However, each player he listed went undrafted and flew BENEATH THE RADAR before making his name. Tebow, on the other hand, was a first round pick. He's perhaps the most researched and dissected QB ever. He is the exact OPPOSITE of those players listed by Covertedpatsfan. Sorry, CPF, but you are comparing apples to candy bars there.

What many people overlook (or simply do not know) is the Tom House connection with Brady. To me, THAT is the most interesting aspect to this move. House had only a few weeks to work with Tebow before the Jets season last year. It will be interesting to see what several months (and the fact that Brady is a fellow House student) can do.

That being said, anyone who doesn't recognize the FACT that no #3 QB in history ever had his jersey marketed so heavily by his new team within 7.5 hours of signing is being willfully blind or naive.

To paraphrase Robert Zimmerman: Don't need no weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Last edited:
I just want to point out that a certain team down further south had to create a separate forum just for Tebow-related discussions, and had thousands of posts and views. We're better than this.

If he brings more fans, then maybe they'll stick around. I do expect to see more anti-Tebow posts than what some expect to see. Already do and it hasn't been a week yet.

By tons of players being missed by everyone, I meant lots of players go undrafted, skipped numerous times by every team, yet turn out to be players. The multiple years criteria wasn't part of the original equation, but I'll play along since it only takes ONE example to prove you wrong if you're saying it does not happen.

James Harrison went undrafted, signed with the Steelers, was cut 3 times while bouncing on and off the practice squad, signed with the Ravens the next year and played in NFL Europe before being cut again, then signed again with the Steelers. 3 years after everyone passed on him, he would start 3 games, and 2 more years would pass before he became a full-time starter.

So you're wrong, it happens.

Wait, there's more!

Wes Welker went undrafted, signed with the Chargers, got cut, played special teams for the Dolphins before starting to emerge in his third season with 67 catches, which still didn't indicate what he would become. Also worth noting: we drafted P.K. Sam the year Welker went undrafted.

Antonio Pierce signed as an UDFA with the Redskins and got to start 8 games his first season due to injuries, but played very little the next two seasons before getting a chance to start again due to injuries. He would become a starter and captain on the Giants D.

Bart Scott went undrafted, played special teams for 3 years at a high level but didn't get a chance to play defense until Ray Lewis was injured, then became a full-time starter for the Ravens and Jets.

Jason Peters went undrafted in 2004, signed with the Bills, and then got cut (by the Bills!), back to the practice squad, then wedge busting on ST for a few years before getting his chance in 2006 and becoming a full-time starter and Pro Bowler.

Fred Jackson went undrafted, tried out and didn't make it for the Bears, Broncos, and Packers, then spent 2 seasons in indoor football leagues, and another season in NFL Europe before catching on with the Bills, where he would spend 2 more seasons as a back-up until becoming a starter.

Maybe you think it happens only at other positions, that it couldn't possibly happen at the most important position on the field, quarterback.

Tell that to Jeff Garcia, who went undrafted, spent 5 years in the CFL before getting a chance in the NFL, then going onto 4 Pro Bowls.

Or Tony Romo, undrafted QB who sat the bench for 3 years, at risk of being cut until Quincy Carter failed a drug test, then went on to 3 Pro Bowls.

Or HOFer Warren Moon, who went undrafted and spent his first 6 seasons in the CFL before 9 Pro Bowls and 3 All Pros.

Or Kurt Warner, who went undrafted in 1994, signed with the Packers, got cut, played in the Arena Football League for several seasons before getting his chance with the Rams, parlaying it into 2 MVP trophies and a Super Bowl.

I'm not saying it happens a lot. And I'm not even saying Tim Tebow is going to join the list of names above.

All I'm saying is yes, it does happen. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Game, set, match.

Victor Cruz, Arian Foster, Miles Austin. NFL types make mistakes. Passing on a player is meaningless as well as drafting a player. Chad Jackson and Darius Bustler were 2nd round picks. They both suck. Larry Moroney was a 1st who is employed at BK today.

I just want to point out that a certain team down further south had to create a separate forum just for Tebow-related discussions, and had thousands of posts and views. We're better than this.

They wouldn't have had to do that if they could tie their shoes and moderate a forum.

The 'Tebow Signs with the Pats' thread is the result of a 12x merging of redundant threads.

It's no big deal. We welcome and can handle the new posters here with ease.

Not only are the Jets incompetent and their fans morons, but whoever handles their websites are fourth rate.

We've had bigger rodeos. All one has to do is look at 2007.

Last edited:

They didn't have to do it, they chose to do it. JI took a different approach and things were fine.

Game, set, match.

Victor Cruz, Arian Foster, Miles Austin. NFL types make mistakes. Passing on a player is meaningless as well as drafting a player. Chad Jackson and Darius Bustler were 2nd round picks. They both suck. Larry Moroney was a 1st who is employed at BK today.

Once again, the 3 players you listed at the beginning? Undrafted, undrafted, undrafted. All under the radar before coming to the NFL.

Sorry, but there is no analogy to those examples with the Tebow situation. He came in as a known commodity - - probably the most researched and dissected QB ever.

If you want to truly compare, it would be interesting to see if there has ever been a 1st round QB pick who has been able to reinvent his throwing motion after 3 years in the league to achieve greatness.

Perhaps there have been. THAT, would be a true example to emulate.

Last edited:
They wouldn't have had to do that if they could tie their shoes and moderate a forum.

The 'Tebow Signs with the Pats' thread is the result of a 12x merging of redundant threads.

It's no big deal. We welcome and can handle the new posters here with ease.

Not only are the Jets incompetent and their fans morons, but whoever handles their websites are fourth rate.

We've had bigger rodeos. All one has to do is look at 2007.

Hahah, is there a way I can "like" this post about 127 more times ?? :singing::singing:

Why do you want to skip over Mallet?

Do you think Mallet has more value over Tebow today?

Mallets done jack squat and Tebow has actually started an NFL game and won it. Tebow has won a post season game. Mallet is a wannabe.

QBs are the currency of the NFL and BB knows it. It behooves the Pats to facilitate Tebows resurrection (no pun) at QB for a trade next year. Mallet has looked like the "Shakiest Gun in the West" thus far. Moreover, hes so thin you can almost see right through him.

Do you think Mallet has more value over Tebow today?

Mallets done jack squat and Tebow has actually started an NFL game and won it. Tebow has won a post season game. Mallet is a wannabe.

QBs are the currency of the NFL and BB knows it. It behooves the Pats to facilitate Tebows resurrection (no pun) at QB for a trade next year. Mallet has looked like the "Shakiest Gun in the West" thus far. Moreover, hes so thin you can almost see right through him.

You're right.

Tebow has played in actual NFL games. Mallet hasn't seen the field much at all.

Tebow beat out Kyle Orton.

Mallett couldn't overcome the what'shisname QB in front of him.

Awesome comparison, Triumph.

Last edited:
Once again, the 3 players you listed at the beginning? Undrafted, undrafted, undrafted. All under the radar before coming to the NFL.

Sorry, but there is no analogy to those examples with the Tebow situation. He came in as a known commodity - - probably the most researched and dissected QB ever.

If you want to truly compare, it would be interesting to see if there has ever been a 1st round QB pick who has been able to reinvent his throwing motion after 3 years in the league to achieve greatness.

Perhaps there have been. THAT, would be a true example to emulate.

Try to follow along if you can?

31 teams passed on Tebow a while back in thread. I was simply providing examples of additional mistakes that NFL Execs have made to ConvertedPatsFan excellent post.

You're right.

Tebow has played in actual NFL games. Mallet hasn't seen the field much at all.

Tebow beat out Kyle Orton.

Mallett couldn't overcome the what'shisname QB in front of him.

Awesome comparison, Triumph.
FAIL

Would you rather have Tebow as the # 2 NE QB or Mallet today?

Try to follow along if you can?

31 teams passed on Tebow a while back in thread. I was simply providing examples of additional mistakes that NFL Execs have made to ConvertedPatsFan excellent post.

"31 teams passed on Tebow a while back in thread."

- - after THREE years in the league and reams of NFL footage!!!!!

All of the players listed by you and CPF = undrafteds that had meager scouting/reporting before they busted out. They were dissed because they were uninspected produce.

Tebow = 1st round pick who is the most dissected QB in the history of the game. He is dissed BECAUSE he is inspected produce.

If you cannot see the difference there, I can't help you.

Last edited:
FAIL

Would you rather have Tebow as the # 2 NE QB or Mallet today?

I have no idea.

Let 'em fight it out.

Currently, Mallett is #2 because he has 2 years in the system with the playbook. Tebow is coming in raw at the moment and has to learn the playbook. If you think Tebow is right now the #2, then that is pretty funny.

Mallet's game is currently suited to the current Patriots passing offense.

Either McDaniels would have to retool the Pats offense or Tebow will have to restructure his throwing in order for Tebow to play as a NE QB.

Last edited:
Mallet hasnt impressed me in the least. Quite frankly, he could be considered on the bubble with the Tebow signing. Its year 3 and time to sheet of get off the pot.

The same folks that are so enamored with Mallet are same folks that had Rohan Davey traded for a 1st round pick way back when. Delusional.

Either McDaniels would have to retool the Pasts offense

you just called the Pats the Pasts...consider yourself on report to the copyright division of Jet Insider headed up by SG3/Ray Ray 19...and may God have mercy on your soul...:-(

Either McDaniels would have to retool the Pasts offense

you just called the Pats the Pasts...consider yourself on report to the copyright division of Jet Insider headed up by SG3/Ray Ray 19...and may God have mercy on your soul...:-(

LOL - - Who was that NJ attorney guy who filed the class action lawsuit against Kraft and Belichick for the cameragate thing? THAT guy I would watch out for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News