PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The NFL.com Rankings

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Finally put all the grades into a spreadsheet with, hopefully, minimal mistakes. There's a big board included too. Bear in mind that it only includes combine invitees.

A very interesting list and quite different to CBS. Before you dismiss this out of hand, just remember that CBS can be slow to update their board. Mocks could look very different using this board.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtaFnuAmn2VBdEdfZlE0RVZwbUk5TXZFVjVGSGt2WkE&usp=sharing

(lt me know if you have trouble seeing the spreadsheet).

I haven't had time to tidy things up (no positions on big board for example). I will try and get round to it sometime.

Finally, a note on the grades. They do look slightly weird. The top grade is 7.5 and there's a lot congregated in the lower 5's. I think I've got to the bottom of it. Use this system to understand the grades:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AstbiM26zqkmdEV5OWxkNDJEc2Rsa0RTcHdheXlBb2c&gid=19

So anything from about 6.3 up is a first rounder, low 6 and high 5 is a day two pick and anything from about 5.6 down is a day three pick (ASJ :eek: ).

Finally put all the grades into a spreadsheet with, hopefully, minimal mistakes. There's a big board included too. Bear in mind that it only includes combine invitees.

A very interesting list and quite different to CBS. Before you dismiss this out of hand, just remember that CBS can be slow to update their board. Mocks could look very different using this board.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtaFnuAmn2VBdEdfZlE0RVZwbUk5TXZFVjVGSGt2WkE&usp=sharing

(lt me know if you have trouble seeing the spreadsheet).

I haven't had time to tidy things up (no positions on big board for example). I will try and get round to it sometime.

Finally, a note on the grades. They do look slightly weird. The top grade is 7.5 and there's a lot congregated in the lower 5's. I think I've got to the bottom of it. Use this system to understand the grades:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AstbiM26zqkmdEV5OWxkNDJEc2Rsa0RTcHdheXlBb2c&gid=19

So anything from about 6.3 up is a first rounder, low 6 and high 5 is a day two pick and anything from about 5.6 down is a day three pick (ASJ :eek: ).

Dang man, even Dustin Vaughan got a grade. Not Fing around.

Well done.

Certainly interesting but along with ASJ Timmy Jernigan is the 11th anked DL and day two pick, Jarvis Landry day three, David Yankey 20th rated, Weston Richburg 23rd rated...........

Certainly interesting but along with ASJ Timmy Jernigan is the 11th anked DL and day two pick, Jarvis Landry day three, David Yankey 20th rated, Weston Richburg 23rd rated...........

Those can be justified to a degree.

Jernigan is way overrated as far as I'm concerned. Landry might grade like Patton and Marvin Jones who ended up as day three picks and unathletic guards and centers rarely get drafted that high. The interesting one for me is Penn State's John Urschel who NFL think might end up as a center for a zone blocking team. I haven't seen him play but Penn State+super intelligent+zone scheme fit+center/guard versatility might = New England Patriot. Having said that, they call him underpowered which doesn't sound like much of an upgrade on Wendell.

Awesome work. Kudos for decoding the scale. It's cool to have something to compare to CBS now.

Interesting to see how high they put Demarcus Lawrence. Anyone got some analysis to share on him? I'm not really familiar with his skills.

Those can be justified to a degree.

Jernigan is way overrated as far as I'm concerned. Landry might grade like Patton and Marvin Jones who ended up as day three picks and unathletic guards and centers rarely get drafted that high. The interesting one for me is Penn State's John Urschel who NFL think might end up as a center for a zone blocking team. I haven't seen him play but Penn State+super intelligent+zone scheme fit+center/guard versatility might = New England Patriot. Having said that, they call him underpowered which doesn't sound like much of an upgrade on Wendell.

Jernigan is a lower rated prospect than Ed Stinson or DeQuan Jones among others? Tuitt being the #2 DL is mind boggling for me. Even on his own team Nix has to be above him.

Yankee and Richburg sure I can see somebody downgrading them but 20th and 23rd on the OL?

Labeling Darqueze Dennard a 5.9 and an "adequate starter" seems real odd as well.

Jernigan is a lower rated prospect than Ed Stinson or DeQuan Jones among others? Tuitt being the #2 DL is mind boggling for me. Even on his own team Nix has to be above him.

Yankee and Richburg sure I can see somebody downgrading them but 20th and 23rd on the OL?

Tuitt is probably my third ranked DL behind Clowney and Hageman so it's no surprise to me. I can't comment on Stinson but I'd probably give Jernigan the edge over Jones (not by much though).

We shall see how accurate they are. I'm not saying you are, but I wouldn't depend on CBS for rankings. There tends to be some significant changes on there between now and draft day. Remember Shea Mclellin? that gives the Demarcus Lawrence love a hint of believability.

Labeling Darqueze Dennard a 5.9 and an "adequate starter" seems real odd as well.

I've had Gilbert ahead of him for a while. Dennard is a great college CB. He might be a great NFL CB but he lacks a bit of length and speed and tends to get a bit too physical. Second or third corner off the board wouldn't surprise me at all for Dennard.

Interesting to see how high they put Demarcus Lawrence. Anyone got some analysis to share on him? I'm not really familiar with his skills.

Sorry, no. I will be watching him in the next few days though. This years Shea McLellin perhaps?

Edit: Watched the Nevada game. I was impressed. Not first round impressed though and I think he's a better fit for a wide 9/leo role or a 3-4 OLB but having said that, he has tremendous energy, fights off blockers with his arm length to make plays setting the edge and showcases some really appealing quickness at times. Just not sure he has the size for a BB first rounder. I like him in the second or third though.

Joel Bitonio handled him pretty well.

Thanks for the time & effort Manx. This database is a great way to, in the words of Mike Reiss,
"contextualize" the grades of players at different positions.

As I mentioned in the Draft Prospect thread, NFL.com's rankings/grading scale has Nolan Nawrocki
written all over it, though the wide discrepancies btwn this and CBS's, for example, are what I would
expect from Russ Lande or the guy, whose name escapes me now, who used to write for The Scouting
Department at the National Football Post.

Wes Bunting.

Of the scouting report pundits, Bunting is still my favourite. As The Captain notes, Nawrocki and Lande tend to be a little strange in their grades. It will be interesting to see how Greg Gabriel fares this year at NFP.

Of the scouting report pundits, Bunting is still my favourite. As The Captain notes, Nawrocki and Lande tend to be a little strange in their grades. It will be interesting to see how Greg Gabriel fares this year at NFP.

Gabriel is strange as well. Lande was the most off-the-wall as far as I was concerned - I thought his stuff was essentially useless. Nawrocki had some good stuff mixed in with some awful stuff. Bunting was probably the best of the NFP pundits - he seems to have completely disappeared.

Drew Boylhart of the Huddle Report is by far my personal favorite, but that's a pay-for-view site and isn't comprehensive. He's opinionated and sometimes off the wall, but very insightful, and not afraid to deviate form the herd mentality.

Gabriel is strange as well. Lande was the most off-the-wall as far as I was concerned - I thought his stuff was essentially useless. Nawrocki had some good stuff mixed in with some awful stuff. Bunting was probably the best of the NFP pundits - he seems to have completely disappeared.

Drew Boylhart of the Huddle Report is by far my personal favorite, but that's a pay-for-view site and isn't comprehensive. He's opinionated and sometimes off the wall, but very insightful, and not afraid to deviate form the herd mentality.

I stopped following him on twitter because he's so arrogant. I tend not to focus on scouting reports these days and just resort to twitter for my info.

Matt Waldman is a must read though for offensive skill players.

Tuitt is probably my third ranked DL behind Clowney and Hageman so it's no surprise to me. I can't comment on Stinson but I'd probably give Jernigan the edge over Jones (not by much though).

We shall see how accurate they are. I'm not saying you are, but I wouldn't depend on CBS for rankings. There tends to be some significant changes on there between now and draft day. Remember Shea Mclellin? that gives the Demarcus Lawrence love a hint of believability.

I don't agree with the CBS rankings either but find them a better baseline. I didn't challenge Demarcus Lawence specifically because I'm not sure where to rank him and because of Mclellin. I had Mclellin ranked higher than CBS that year. I think the key to the CBS rankings is to use them with the mocks and Rang's big board. For instance Will Sutton is ranked #64 but both Rang and Brugler have the Cowboys taking him in the first round.

We can agree to disagree on Tuitt vs Jernigan. I see Jernigan as a first rounder and Tuitt and third and you obviosly see the opposite. However I wouldn't put Tuitt below Stinson and Jones and it's not even close so I don't see how you can downgrade Jernigan to that degree.

I don't agree with the CBS rankings either but find them a better baseline. I didn't challenge Demarcus Lawence specifically because I'm not sure where to rank him and because of Mclellin. I had Mclellin ranked higher than CBS that year. I think the key to the CBS rankings is to use them with the mocks and Rang's big board. For instance Will Sutton is ranked #64 but both Rang and Brugler have the Cowboys taking him in the first round.

We can agree to disagree on Tuitt vs Jernigan. I see Jernigan as a first rounder and Tuitt and third and you obviosly see the opposite. However I wouldn't put Tuitt below Stinson and Jones and it's not even close so I don't see how you can downgrade Jernigan to that degree.

I think I said that I couldn't comment on Stinson because I don't know enough. I think Jones and Jernigan are quite similar. Neither are all that special as pass rushers and both are good but not great run defenders.

I'm not a fan of taking players limited to just being three techs high in the draft because they are so limited. I make an exception for Donald because a) he's just so explosive and b) I see some DE functionality for him.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back