PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The homestretch: What adjustments would you make for December/playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Homestretch. What Adjustments Would You Make for December/Playoffs

Put Light at RT and Vollmer at LT and Kaczur can have a rest on the bench. I don't care that he hasn't played RT in god know's how long.

Adjustments

Starting Wednesday Pull moss and wes from pratices. Run it with Aiken , Stanback and Watson as split book ends.Brady has to not only get comfortable with this guys but need to trust them .

OL-Needs to get healthy but more importantly the above will fix some of the issues .

Defense- Mayo and Meriweather were in a loud environment and communication broke down. They need to spend time working on communicating .Its their first run into such a environment so i cannot critize.

DL- We need our DL to step up.I want to see 3 DT with AD and Banta on the outside.Create matchups of TE/RB for AD/Banta Combo.DT plan is to create enough push to let the OLB get good matchups. we do not do this in BB era but i want to see scheme to get these guy on TE or RB on 1 on 1 match in blitz pickup.

Last edited:
I hate these 5-10 yard cushions we routinely give on defense. I'd like to see corners and ALL linebackers right up at the line of scrimmage before the snap, so that the QB and O-line have a bit more to think about. It's not like giving that cushion helps us tackle better after the catch; the tackling is atrocious right now.

Put Light at RT and Vollmer at LT and Kaczur can have a rest on the bench. I don't care that he hasn't played RT in god know's how long.

I agree Kazur needs to go, but Light has been a LT his whole career it will be very difficult to shift him now. Vollmer will go to RT.

Major changes in the coaching staff and fire about 1/3 of the fanbase.

Adjustments

Starting Wednesday Pull moss and wes from pratices. Run it with Aiken , Stanback and Watson as split book ends.Brady has to not only get comfortable with this guys but need to trust them .

I'd like to see Welker and Moss not even get that many catches or yards for the next two games. It would be a sign of self-awareness over their own play-calling and/or blatantly obvious tendencies. Welker and Moss are among the best at their positions, but nobody in this league is so good that you can beat a defense that KNOWS what route you will be in.

Anybody remember in 01 when the Rams basically just ran slants and in-cuts all season with their receivers, and used Faulk out of the backfield? They never adjusted even though Belichick figured them out in that game.

Did you miss the 1st quarter of the game? The problem was that they gave up on the run once they realized their defense couldn't stop a pee-wee team.
And the Saints couldn't stop the run... That int was the pats trying to be cute....

Another change that hasn't been mentioned yet, is I would love to have some consultants join the team named Weiss, Crennel, and Groh

I agree that the shotgun is overused. I know Brady is more comfortable out of it, but it's one thing to use it, it's another to rely on it. I'd like to see more balance with the packages, though I wouldn't go so far as to say almost all plays should be run from under center.

The OL was awful last night. Part of it was Light coming back, part of it was Kaczur sucking, but they were allowing consistent pressure on 3-man rushes. I even saw the back chip a few times with only 3 rushers and still they got near Brady. I like the idea of Vollmer replacing Kaczur, or Vollmer taking the LT spot and moving Light over to RT.

Offensive play-calling, I don't have a problem with the individual play-calls. But as Payton showed us last night, when you have a talented OC, you use plays to not only gain yards, but set up plays down the line. Throw the screen one way, then later on in the game, fake it, and throw it down the field. I haven't seen too many efforts from the Pats offense to take advantage of a defense based on previous plays. Like one person wrote last night, we're playing checkers, they're playing chess.

Wilhite needs to sit. Not much more to say about that.

And as for the defense, I understand the bend-but-don't-break philosophy, but it's not working. The red zone defense is atrocious. There's no pass rush, so 3rd downs are easily converted. And last night they started giving up the huge play as well. So basically, the things it should stop, it isn't stopping. So I think there are a lot of things we can talk about defensively, but the bottom line is I think pretty much any suggestion would be an improvement right now.

This team looks extremely good on paper, even in the box score of today's game. It's very frustrating to watch. Why can't this team make key scores or stops in the 2nd half of games?

Time to open the cheque-book/snack-bar for Weiss and let BB work on the Defense personally.

We're entering the last 5 games, where we find out what kind of team we'll have for the season. What adjustments would you make, playing armchair coach?

I'll start:

1. Stop using shot-gun so damn much. Why are we passing out of shot gun for 75% of our passes. We should be running almost all plays from under center, keeping defenses honest, forcing DE's and CB's to respect the run, unless it's in a blatantly obvious passing situation.

2. Utilize tight ends more in the passing game, especially in the red zone. Start using tight ends in red zone packages off of play action. Use the middle of the field more with Baker and Watson. Everyone knows that Welker is pretty much the only guy Brady looks at right now over the middle.

3. Stop using Welker so damn much. For two reasons. First, he's being over-used so much that he'll be cheese by January. Second, teams know exactly how he's being used now since we don't deviate. This past game he had 6 catches for 30 yards - teams know where he'll be and is getting stuffed the moment he touches the ball.

4. On defense at least PRETEND to blitz. Have a bunch of guys line up close to scrimmage more often so the O-line and QB have a hard time figuring out who to block. Almost every play we have corners and linebackers playing off the line, making it easy to set blocking schemes and leaving now chance of confusion for the QB.

Can make this real simple......forget about the playoffs....because there is no way this defense will survive even if they make it there......Best hope right now for this team....is to possibly win their division....to lose that would be heartbreaking. This defense is obviously a "work in progress".....and it is going to take awhile before they can get it together....certainly not this year......oh and I agree.....wilhite is an embarrassment....time to shelve this train wreck

Last edited:
I wanna go down fighting....punch them in the face on every play....blitz blitz blitz...attack attack attack....if a Henne with 7 seconds in the pocket is STILL gonna rip the defense apart then why not???.....FORCE THE ISSUE...if the CB's get beat, well, they're ALREADY getting beat trying to cover for over 4 seconds...it would make it better for the fan watching and just MIGHT instill a little fear in opposing offenses, which, let's face, ain't exactly looking over their shoulders right now.

43 Wilfork and Pryor inside, Green and Warren outside. 3rd down, Wilfork out and Wright inside. If nothing else a little penetration up the middle would be nice. I am pretty sure we proved we can't get it done on the edges.

Our adjustments as fans:

Enjoy Brady to Moss for 4 more weeks. Savor it while it lasts, let the memories sink in, and dont let the horrible playcalling stress you out--it's only gonna make you more angry. Moss only has one more year in NE left before we offer him minimum wage. Who knows what happens after this year, we may make another bizarre Seymour esque trade involving Moss.

Hire Charlie Weiss immediately. Weiss is financially set. Maybe he'll be happy simply coming back to his buddy Belichick and his star pupil Brady for a year or two.

Locking this thread since the thread starter is no longer with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back