PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Brian Waters Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
:confused: How are you going to get a 3rd for him... He's a 35 year old guard. He's either coming back here or he's not. He was a FA for a reason last season. He's a PITA albeit still worth something in this system particularly playing on an otherwise above average OL. If he were a FA someone would probably overpay for him based on that, but in cash not draft capital. And since this team owns his rights they aren't going to just surrender them. If it turns out this was all about the $$$, then shame on them for not working something out. Especially considering all the bonus money they threw around this off season that guys are now using to pound the pavement for vet. min. jobs elsewhere.
Heck, I'd take a conditional 2013 seventh round draft pick from the Cowboys if Brian Waters does not want to play for the New England Patriots this season.

Waters watch is over folks...next man up for the year

Not necessarily.

If Waters wants to play this season (and rumors are that he does - in TX) he has to face the fact that hes still under contract or sit out.

Assuming the issue is that he suddenly this year insists on playing in Texas closer to home, were I the Pats I'd hold out for a late round 2013 pick for his services with the Cows. Wouldn't want to trade him to AFC contender Houston but what are our constructive alternatives if this is the case?

It could be that the Texas teams "somehow" know this and maybe are waiting past game one so they don't have to guarantee his contract as he's an older player whose football readiness would not be easily determined.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter

For what it's worth Adam Shefter tweeted that Texans, Giants, and Lions are all $700,000 over the cap and need to reduce it by Wednesday.

Might this play into the Waters saga?

For what it's worth Adam Shefter tweeted that Texans, Giants, and Lions are all $700,000 over the cap and need to reduce it by Wednesday.

Cowboys or bust for Brian Waters.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter

Excellent observation. Continuing with the unfounded speculation I posited about going to Houston, the delay could be awaiting Houston's cap finalization and then a trade for a late round pick. Strongly prefer a trade if need be to Dallas though but I would take a late pick for the vet who doesn't want to play here. Why cut him and eat his cap as he signs where he wants without minor compensation? Bill loves messing with those late picks on draft day.

Last edited:
None of those numbers in the 50's are available

56 & 57 are retired. 59 is Mike Rivera, 53 is Jeff Tarpinian

That will teach me to do my homework.

Excellent observation. Continuing with the unfounded speculation I posited about going to Houston, the delay could be awaiting Houston's cap finalization and then a trade for a late round pick. Strongly prefer a trade if need be to Dallas though but I would take a late pick for the vet who doesn't want to play here. Why cut him and eat his cap as he signs where he wants without minor compensation? Bill loves messing with those late picks on draft day.
You do neither. It's not worth handing over such an important asset to a potential competitor. Certainly not for a late round pick, it isn't. No PWP, if Waters decides he doesn't want to leave home, they are better off competitively to simply put him on the suspended did not report list. That way there is no cap hit or money paid out to him.

Now if the one of the Texas teams decided that they were willing to drop a 2nd or 3rd round pick for an future HOFer, I'd be willing to listen.

Last edited:
So BB, "no comment" is not going to cut it going forward. We need to know what the status of Brian Waters is, and when, if ever, he is going to return to the team.

I bet Bill is shaking in his hoody reading this, Ken. ;)

No way do you give a pro bowl guard to one of the teams you have to beat to get back to the SB for next to nothing. No trade in the AFC and only trade him for a 2nd, anything less and he can just sit it out. On the other hand I would throw another million at him because his performance last season well outstripped his pay, so giving him a bone to return is fine with me. 3.5 million for a pro bowl OL is well worth it.

It must be about the money because if he wanted to retire he'd have done so by now. If they were going to cut him, they'd have done so by now.

I'm starting to believe some of the rumors are true about him holding out. My only problem with this is, why havent we just paid him? We have enough to give him a raise don't we? He is, imho, an important piece of that line. Granted, I'm more worried about the tackles, than the interior, but still, I'd like to see Waters starting. I just wish the PCIA would say something other than "we only comment on players who are here" :bricks:

If this is true, I wonder how much he's looking for. BB certainly isnt going to fork over 8 mil for one season :eek:

I'm starting to believe some of the rumors are true about him holding out. My only problem with this is, why havent we just paid him? We have enough to give him a raise don't we? He is, imho, an important piece of that line.
Has Brian Waters even passed the physical let alone the "conditioning run"?

tumblr_lzq62vTGg01qhgmnco1_r1_500.gif

You do neither. It's not worth handing over such an important asset to a potential competitor. Certainly not for a late round pick, it isn't. No PWP, if Waters decides he doesn't want to leave home, they are better off competitively to simply put him on the suspended did not report list. That way there is no cap hit or money paid out to him.

Now if the one of the Texas teams decided that they were willing to drop a 2nd or 3rd round pick for an future HOFer, I'd be willing to listen.

I agree with you, as much as it would pain me to not want to get at least 'something' for any player who won't be here, I don't even think it's worth a late rd 7th pick in this instance.

Let him play here or sit home.

We're not going to get anything for a player who isn't going to play more than one year, so that takes all of the speculation out of what we could get in trade compensation. It would be a 6th round pick at best in my opinion. No one wants to part with much of anything for a one year rental, and if they do they are idiots.

Has Brian Waters even passed the physical let alone the "conditioning run"?

Maybe you hadn't heard, but he hasn't shown up yet.

Does anybody know for sure that he's not just trapped under something very heavy?

Absolutely agree. Having Waters potentially help the Texans make the playoff, get a higher seeding, and then face the Pats in the AFCC is worth high compensation.

Low compensation is not worth dealing with the above scenario.

I respect his decision, if it is to retire to stay closer to his family.

I do not respect his urge to get himself traded or cut to be closer to his family. You signed a two year contract with the New England Patriots, pal. Family wasn't an issue a year ago? If you want to call it quits to be with them, so be it. But you don't get to call the shots on where you end up in this situation. He had his shot last year when the Chiefs cut him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News