PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Brian Waters Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team trade for franchise players, who have high salaries and a one year contract.

Lots of teams would trade for top OG.

The issue is that Waters wn't show up in New England or most anywhere else.

We're not going to get anything for a player who isn't going to play more than one year, so that takes all of the speculation out of what we could get in trade compensation. It would be a 6th round pick at best in my opinion. No one wants to part with much of anything for a one year rental, and if they do they are idiots.

Team trade for franchise players, who have high salaries and a one year contract.

Lots of teams would trade for top OG.

The issue is that Waters wn't show up in New England or most anywhere else.

Not often, and those are young players with remaining upside. Waters is a RG who at 35 is perilously close to the end which could come this season let alone next.

Last edited:
I agree with you, as much as it would pain me to not want to get at least 'something' for any player who won't be here, I don't even think it's worth a late rd 7th pick in this instance.

Let him play here or sit home.

We're not going to get anything for a player who isn't going to play more than one year, so that takes all of the speculation out of what we could get in trade compensation. It would be a 6th round pick at best in my opinion. No one wants to part with much of anything for a one year rental, and if they do they are idiots.

So if Tom Brady refused to report to the Pats and said he'd only play for one more year, and only for a west coast team, the Pats couldn't expect much for compensation?

So if Tom Brady refused to report to the Pats and said he'd only play for one more year, and only for a west coast team, the Pats couldn't expect much for compensation?

You're comparing apples and watermelon. Brady as a HOF QB is exponentially more valuable than even a pro bowl guard. And while the team could certainly extract something, it would be based on the need of west coast teams as well as short term nature of the deal. You'd also be talking the equivalent of a 39 year old Brady in relation to the 35 year old guard. Probably would net some kind of conditional pick that could be as much as a #1 if that team won the Superbowl with Brady at the helm. My guess is Waters might net a conditional 6th. No way that helps them this year as much as holding on to his rights. Which also don't count against the cap if he fails to report.

As much as i love Waters and his steller play for our Team last year. I don't think whoever replaces him is a significant dropoff. I would be much more concerned about Sebass Volmer bad back than Waters. I dont want to see Marcus Cannon Starting at RT anytime soon.

Last edited:
So if Waters doesn't come back what is the starting OL? Connolly to G and Wendell at C? Or leave Connolly at C and plug in Cannon at G? One potential silver lining here is that Waters is most likely gone next year regardless so we can at least move on with what we got. Last year we were able to transition Solder into a starting role due to Vollmer's unexpected injury plagued year, hopefully Wendell or Cannon is ready for that role.

So if Waters doesn't come back what is the starting OL? Connolly to G and Wendell at C? Or leave Connolly at C and plug in Cannon at G? One potential silver lining here is that Waters is most likely gone next year regardless so we can at least move on with what we got. Last year we were able to transition Solder into a starting role due to Vollmer's unexpected injury plagued year, hopefully Wendell or Cannon is ready for that role.

I doubt they would use Cannon at guard since he hasn't played there this preseason. At least, they added Tennant to the roster. They could use
him at center if Wendell doesn't work out.

Solder, Mankins, Connolly, Cannon, Vollmer is what I have

As for Waters - no Texans, that's our most dangerous rival in the AFC. Not worth getting a 4th round pick or whatever. Sit on him, and worst comes to worse deal him to the NFC too late for them to flip Waters to the Texans.

I doubt they would use Cannon at guard since he hasn't played there this preseason. At least, they added Tennant to the roster. They could use
him at center if Wendell doesn't work out.

Cannon is looks like a Tackle but has the feet of a Guard he should easily transition there. He's too slow footed to be on the outsides.

As much as i love Waters and his steller play for our Team last year. I don't think whoever replaces him is a significant dropoff. I would be much more concerned about Sebass Volmer bad back than Waters. I dont want to see Marcus Cannon Starting at RT anytime soon.

How many stellar RGs are there in the league, or on this team, that you don't think there will be a significant dropoff between Waters and whomever his replacement happens to be?

Cannon is looks like a Tackle but has the feet of a Guard he should easily transition there. He's too slow footed to be on the outsides.

The Patriots are stuck with Cannon at tackle for this year. Next
year they will probably draft a tackle and shift Cannon to guard.

Bryant McKinnie has been cut by the Ravens.

Will hardly make waivers to NE.

I presume its cap related.

McKinnie won't go through waivers. When the cut becomes official, he'll be a FA.

Or maybe not.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

Remember, it's a negotiation RT @AlbertBreer Ok. Another text from McKinnie: "Not officially over yet just got a call" #staytuned

McKinnie was drafted in the first round of the 2002 NFL Draft. He's no spring chicken.

only need him for a season.

Cannot see how the Patriots manage to keep Tommy upright with just Cannon as a backup this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes