PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculation: Patriots set to make big trades

Status
Not open for further replies.
A tremendous amount of that would be dead money left on Arizona's tab. Someone else already posted the hit if he was traded.

But, all gleeful fantasy speculation aside, the amount of dead money for Arizona to choke down would be exactly why it's hard to imagine this happening.

So when we see cap hits of 21 million, 18 million etc coming up in the next couple/few yrs we can ignore those then? So you look at base salaries instead of cap hits when assessing trades?

I'd like to know exactly how much of that money would be on ARZ, especially considering that he has a base salary of 13,000,000 dollars next season.

Larry Fitzgerald Contract, Salaries, and Transactions

How about 2012, when we went into camp with Ryan Mallett as the backup? Kafka has more NFL experience than Mallett, and while he obviously doesn't have the same physical skills, or potential, I'd wager that, for this season, he would be just fine.

I believe that we went into camp with both Hoyer and Mallet. Hoyer was cut Aug 31.

I believe that we went into camp with both Hoyer and Mallet. Hoyer was cut Aug 31.

My mistake, then. But still the point stand that Hoyer was goin into his 4th seaosn in 2012, and Kafka will also be entering his 4th year in 2013. He is as "established" as Hoyer was last year.

I imagine that they would obtain some kind of vet journeyman low level backup to possibly compete with Kafka for the #2. Either that or some younger castoff from another team.

So when we see cap hits of 21 million, 18 million etc coming up in the next couple/few yrs we can ignore those then? So you look at base salaries instead of cap hits when assessing trades?

I'd like to know exactly how much of that money would be on ARZ, especially considering that he has a base salary of 13,000,000 dollars next season.

I am not a smart man. I don't claim to be. Me math bad.

But someone here who knows math gooder than me posted the hits, for a team trading for him, would be 5/5/12 over the next 3 years earlier in this thread or another one, I can't keep them all together in my head.

So would Arizona be willing to eat like, 10m in dead cap money to trade away one of the top 5 WRs in the league for a low 1st rounder and whatever else?

Hopefully!

My mistake, then. But still the point stand that Hoyer was goin into his 4th seaosn in 2012, and Kafka will also be entering his 4th year in 2013. He is as "established" as Hoyer was last year.

I just can't remember the last time we went into camp at least without the last years established back up QB in camp at the start anyway. Kafka may be good. Just new territory.

Who backs up Brady if we get rid of Mallet? Hoyer has a 2nd round tender on him, and Cassel signed with the vikes.

I can't remember the last time we went into camp without an established back up?

Mike Kafka is on the roster already. When he was on the Eagles, some were thinking that he was going to be better than cornKolb.

What's Rohan Davey doing?

If we offered the Jets the incarcerated bob package (this years 1st next years 2nd, + another conditional pick) and it was the best offer on the table they'd be stupid not to take it.

Agreed. The far bigger roadblock is that there's NFW BB is paying close to what Revis has been looking for.

I have no idea what is going on anymore. There is so many rumors and speculation going on I'm having a hard time keeping up. But that's the fun part about the free agency period. I think BB definitely has something up his half sleeves though and I can't wait to see that it is.

Yes, when you look to trade for someone, ignore all cap hits. All we are obligated to pay are what is left in salary and bonuses due after signing. AZ guaranteed him $45M. He has already received $38M. Perhaps the "dead money" involves this guarantee. In any case his salary this year is $5M. We cut him after that if we wished.

Fitzgerald's on a current contract of 8 yrs/120 million.

You find that to be reasonable and realistic? I certainly don't.

His cap hit is 18 million in 2014, goes up to 21 million in 2015, and 18 million again for 2016. The last 2 yrs of his deal are 15 million dollar cap hits.
How much of that is amortized bonus that would hit the Cards cap when traded?

How much of that is amortized bonus that would hit the Cards cap when traded?

That's what I'm asking too. mgteich answered by saying to ignore the cap hits, and focus on the base salaries. I am not familiar with how that works in trades.

Either way, while he only has a 5 million dollar base salary this season, it jumps up to 13 million next season, then is 8 million, 15 million, 14 million, and 14 million.

I'm still finding it hard to see how that'd be possible without a pay reduction and restructure, but I suppose anything's possible. EDIT: Would it be possible to keep him for a 3 yr period? The base salaries are 5, 13, and 8 over that time.

Do you know how much ARZ would still be on the hook for if they traded him? The compensation alone would certainly be at least a first this year, a second next year, and something else added to that.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/larry-fitzgerald/

You talking to me?

1109_qb-ryan-fitzpatrick_485x340.jpg

Hey Egghead, sing Fayah Hahvid for me.

Fitzgerald's on a current contract of 8 yrs/120 million.

You find that to be reasonable and realistic? I certainly don't.

His cap hit is 18 million in 2014, goes up to 21 million in 2015, and 18 million again for 2016. The last 2 yrs of his deal are 15 million dollar cap hits.

Fitzgerald has already been paid $40 million of that $120 million. A lot of the rest of the cap hits are dead money. Other parts can be restructured.

Is it realistic? For the Pats? Absolutely. For the Cards? I don't know. They will take a big cap hit.

Fitzgerald has already been paid $40 million of that $120 million. A lot of the rest of the cap hits are dead money. Other parts can be restructured.

Is it realistic? For the Pats? Absolutely. For the Cards? I don't know. They will take a big cap hit.

I posted a link from sportrac a couple/few posts ahead of you (#113). Could you assess how much of a hit ARZ would have to take? And if we're looking solely at base salaries then would keeping him for 3 yrs be possible for us with bases of 5, 13, and 8?

Either way, we could be talking about at least a first this yr, and a second next yr just to start. In addition it may even be 2 firsts. It could also be the 1 this yr, the 2 next yr, and some additional pick and/or player.

Yes, when you look to trade for someone, ignore all cap hits. All we are obligated to pay are what is left in salary and bonuses due after signing. AZ guaranteed him $45M. He has already received $38M. Perhaps the "dead money" involves this guarantee. In any case his salary this year is $5M. We cut him after that if we wished.

You can ignore the cap hit afa the Patriots are concerned. You cannot from the Cardinals side. Although it looks like his 2013 cap hit is only 6.2, he is due a 10 million bonus today. I don't know at what hour that is due, but I suspect 12:01 am. That's significant money to pay someone to play for someone else.

I'm sure BB would insist on a new contract....big, but not obscene.

I posted a link from sportrac a couple/few posts ahead of you (#113). Could you assess how much of a hit ARZ would have to take? And if we're looking solely at base salaries then would keeping him for 3 yrs be possible for us with bases of 5, 13, and 8?

Either way, we could be talking about at least a first this yr, and a second next yr just to start. In addition it may even be 2 firsts. It could also be the 1 this yr, the 2 next yr, and some additional pick and/or player.

The Cards would take less to get out of that contract.

Does the June cut rule (spreading a player's cap hit over two seasons) still apply under the new CBA? There may be a way for AZ to absorb the hit, if so.

Does the June cut rule (spreading a player's cap hit over two seasons) still apply under the new CBA? There may be a way for AZ to absorb the hit, if so.

Yes, they still have the post-June 1st cut designation which would allow the dead cap hit to be spread over 2 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back