PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculation: Patriots set to make big trades

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when we see cap hits of 21 million, 18 million etc coming up in the next couple/few yrs we can ignore those then? So you look at base salaries instead of cap hits when assessing trades?
Larry Fitzgerald Contract, Salaries, and Transactions

Supafly: remember that there are two different sets of contract numbers: (1) cap hits, which are "accounting tools," and (2) the actual $$ paid.

When you get rid of a player, any non-guaranteed future obligations go away (i.e., salary, roster bonuses) goes away, but all past obligations—i.e., prorated signing bonuses—get accelerated.

When you acquire a player's contract (via trade or waivers), you inherit all future obligations, but, except in extraordinary circumstances, not past ones. So the signing bonus pro-rations don't follow.

Please provide a source for the bonus due today. Rotoworld does not include it. I see it now. Sorry.

The ten million is the issue.

You can ignore the cap hit afa the Patriots are concerned. You cannot from the Cardinals side. Although it looks like his 2013 cap hit is only 6.2, he is due a 10 million bonus today. I don't know at what hour that is due, but I suspect 12:01 am. That's significant money to pay someone to play for someone else.

I'm sure BB would insist on a new contract....big, but not obscene.

Yes, they still have the post-June 1st cut designation which would allow the dead cap hit to be spread over 2 seasons.

Actually, I think the date has been moved up to the first day of the league year, or at least before the draft.

Actually, I think the date has been moved up to the first day of the league year, or at least before the draft.

It appears the Cowboys just designated Marcus Spears as a post June 1st cut a day or two ago to spread the money out over 2 years: (per ESPN)

"The Cowboys will designate Spears a post-June 1 cut, which means they will spread out the cap hit over the next two years. He will count $700,000 against the cap this year and $1.4 million against the cap in 2014."

Then it's actually possible to make a Fitzgerald trade. Assuming, they're willing , etc.

Supafly: remember that there are two different sets of contract numbers: (1) cap hits, which are "accounting tools," and (2) the actual $$ paid.

When you get rid of a player, any non-guaranteed future obligations go away (i.e., salary, roster bonuses) goes away, but all past obligations—i.e., prorated signing bonuses—get accelerated.

When you acquire a player's contract (via trade or waivers), you inherit all future obligations, but, except in extraordinary circumstances, not past ones. So the signing bonus pro-rations don't follow.

Thank you for the clarification, and the response.

Just checked. Still June 1:

(1) For any player removed from the Team’s roster, or whose Contract is assigned to another Club via waivers or trade, on or before June 1 in any League Year prior to the Final League Year, or at any time during the Final League Year, any unamortized signing bonus amounts will be included in Team Salary for such League Year, except that for each League Year preceding the Final League Year, each Club may designate up to two Player Contracts that, if terminated on or prior to June 1 and if not renegotiated after the last regular season game of the prior League Year, shall be treated (except to the extent prescribed by Section 6(d)(iv) below) as if terminated on June 2, i.e., the Salary Cap charge for each such contract will remain in the Club’s Team Salary until June 2, at which time its Paragraph 5 Salary and any unearned LTBE incentives will no longer be counted and any unamortized signing bonus will be treated as set forth in Subsection (2) below. If acceleration puts a Team over the Salary Cap, the Team will have seven days to conform with the Salary Cap, but may not sign any players until there is Room to do so under the Salary Cap.
(2) For any player removed from the Team’s roster or whose Contract is assigned via waivers or trade after June 1, except in the Final League Year, any unamortized signing bonus amounts for future years will be included fully in Team Salary at the start of the next League Year.
(3) In the event that a player who has had a signing bonus allocated over the years of his Player Contract is traded, or whose Contract is assigned to another team pursuant to the NFL’s waiver procedure, the Team Salary of the player’s new team will not include any portion of the signing bonus.

So, by designating Spears a post-June 1 cut, his full salary is still on the books until 6/1, but on 6/2 his future prorations move into next year's cap.

Teams can cut 2 veterans prior to June 1st and designate them as "Post June 1st" cuts.

Then it's actually possible to make a Fitzgerald trade. Assuming, they're willing , etc.

It does not defy any laws of physics or accounting rules, yes. It's financially possible for the Pats, but cap painful for AZ. Whether BB will release the blizzard of draft picks AZ should demand is a major open question.

Possible but improbable.

It appears the Cowboys just designated Marcus Spears as a post June 1st cut a day or two ago to spread the money out over 2 years: (per ESPN)

"The Cowboys will designate Spears a post-June 1 cut, which means they will spread out the cap hit over the next two years. He will count $700,000 against the cap this year and $1.4 million against the cap in 2014."

So, ironically, the part I intended to leave out from my previous post is relevant.

See above. :)

I have a headache with all the cap gyrations. If it benefits the Patriots, BB will do it.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Good news? Jets are starting mark sanchez at QB this season?

I want abraham d%#*!@t. Hopefully we get him still. News on talib?

What a Fun Friday this day has been non-stop.

I am going nuts here.

The signings and rumors and visits and everything has me so jacked right now. I cant keep up.

Cant Wait for this one.

This will be a day long remembered. It has seen the death of Kenobi and it will see the end of the rebellion.

She cant confirm it aka its nothing

@_ErikaLeigh: I can't confirm the info I got, so I'm staying mum until I get more...in order to avoid mass exodus...again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back