PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Something tells me that Eric Moulds will play for the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookBoston

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
When the team suspended Moulds last year, the first thing that popped into my mind is "We gotta get him".

And really, it doesn't seem totally impossible to me. Moulds is the kind of veteran player that BB likes.

And after playing for a team searching for an identity for the last three years, Moulds might be looking for a run at a SB with his former divisional nemesis.

With all the cap space, a big hole at WR, a crappy draft class and very little in free agency, Moulds seems like the best and only fit for the Pats.

and i hope you are right.
i like him too.

rookBoston said:
When the team suspended Moulds last year, the first thing that popped into my mind is "We gotta get him".

And really, it doesn't seem totally impossible to me. Moulds is the kind of veteran player that BB likes.

And after playing for a team searching for an identity for the last three years, Moulds might be looking for a run at a SB with his former divisional nemesis.

With all the cap space, a big hole at WR, a crappy draft class and very little in free agency, Moulds seems like the best and only fit for the Pats.

There were reports he should have been cut. Wonder what is holding it up.
I'm holding out hope like you!

He didn't want to restructure his 10+million salary though so I think that would be a big hindrance to him coming here.

I just don't get the point of replacing an up-and-coming 26-year old with a declining 33-year old.

pats1 said:
I just don't get the point of replacing an up-and-coming 26-year old with a declining 33-year old.
I don't agree that givens is "up and coming" ... I don't see him ever being more than an average #2. I think the Pats agree...

pats1 said:

A perfectly valid point and one on which I totally agree.

Last edited:
pats1 said:

I understand the love for Givens as a team guy, and a fantastic value for a 7th round guy. I think many are over stating his value as a #2 receiver. With arguably the best QB in the game, and a so called great throwing system I believe his production as a #2 is average. I like Givens, but hope we upgrade to #2 on the level of a Reggie Wayne, Jerry Porter, or even an Eric Moulds. If we sign an aging veteran perhaps we can draft the long term solution. My hopes have been since our playoff loss that we upgrade at WR & Oline.

pats1 said:

Money. ten characters

I think Moulds is better than Givens, still, but only for a year or two. For the right money I'd give him a 3 year deal.

pats1 said:

Because the up and commer will never rise to the level that the decliner is at until Moulds is about 41.

Please, Eric Moulds is an awesome Wr - look at his success given the situation he has been forced to endure - Buffalo.....

hodgey said:
I understand the love for Givens as a team guy, and a fantastic value for a 7th round guy.
If we sign an aging veteran perhaps we can draft the long term solution. My hopes have been since our playoff loss that we upgrade at WR & Oline.
I Think that is the point everyone is trying to make. Givens is gone, and he was at worse, a very capable #2. His loss leaves a hole. So now we must fill the hole as best we can. This year's draft has few bonified names at WR, though we probably will find another later round selection that will mature as well as Givens did. So how do we fill it for this year? Big name, big salary, big ego types typically are not destined for Pats uniforms. There are exceptions, but if we take name vet players off of the wire, they typically are willing to take a big cut in pay and were always the team first, win first kinda guys. Not the me first, numbers first kind. For this reason, I dont really see Wayne Porter or Moulds ever wearing a Flying Elvis.

Very true, Moulds has been an elite receiver his entire career. 2005 was his first off year, and you can't forget that was working with (a) a running game that vanished week 7, (b) JP Lhosman and Kelly Holcumb at QB, and (c) no offensive line.

Moulds could have a Dillonesque impace here.

Elite receiver? No, that hasn't been the case since 4-5 years ago.

The only time I'd get Moulds is as a veteran 1-2 year clog in a situation of a retiring player, or something to that effect - just to filter another draft pick in.

Why drop everything and start over? We haven't seen the best of Givens yet. Why just let go of your investment just when it's starting to pay off?

Love it or hate it, but here's what the Football Outsiders' system has them ranked over Givens' career:

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr.php

Wide receivers are ranked according to DPAR, or Defense-adjusted Points Above Replacement. This number represents the total number of points scored due to plays where this WR caught the ball, compared to a replacement-level WR in the same game situations.

The other statistic given is DVOA, or Defense-adjusted Value Over Average. This number represents value, per play, over an average WR in the same game situations. The more positive the DVOA rating, the better the player's performance.

The simple version: DPAR means a wide receiver with more total value. DVOA means a wide receiver with more value per play.

RECEIVING: Minimum 50 passes, 86 players ranked

2005:

Givens:

DPAR rank: 28th
DVOA rank: 34th

Moulds:

DPAR rank: 56th
DVOA rank: 64th

2004:

Givens:

DPAR rank: 24th
DVOA rank: 27th

Moulds:

DPAR rank: 45th
DVOA rank: 54th

2003:

Givens:

DPAR rank: 26th
DVOA rank: 3rd

Moulds:

DPAR rank: 54th
DVOA rank: 57th

2002:

Givens:

DPAR rank: unranked
DVOA rank: unranked

Moulds:

DPAR rank: 55th
DVOA rank: 71st

2001:

Moulds:

DPAR rank: 70th
DVOA rank: 69th

2000:

Moulds:

DPAR rank: 17th
DVOA rank: 38th

Willie55 said:
Money. ten characters

Money? I do believe it was Moulds who didn't want to restructure his $10 mil. salary cap number - high than even Willie.

pats1 said:
Love it or hate it, but here's what the Football Outsiders' system has them ranked over Givens' career:
That's fine but they can't factor in having Brady vs. Losman, Holcomb and Bledsoe.

pats1 said:
Money? I do believe it was Moulds who didn't want to restructure his $10 mil. salary cap number - high than even Willie.
Or he may just have used it as leverage to get the hell out of Buffalo.

BelichickFan said:
Or he may just have used it as leverage to get the hell out of Buffalo.

Excellent point.

FWIW - the Bills were under the cap by $14 million as of 12:44 PM yesterday so they do not need to release Moulds anytime soon. I doubt that the Pats front office are banking on Moulds release to help solve the WR depth problem as much as some of their fans are. :p

Miguel said:
FWIW - the Bills were under the cap by $14 million as of 12:44 PM yesterday so they do not need to release Moulds anytime soon. I doubt that the Pats front office are banking on Moulds release to help solve the WR depth problem as much as some of their fans are. :p
We could almost certainly get him for a mediocre draft choice if we had a contract agreed to.

However after spending a 2nd, 3rd and 5th on Dillon, Starks and Andre Davis and getting one good year out of Dillon out of the whole thing so far, this trading draft choices for veterans is starting to have a sour taste in my mouth.

givens has NEVER caught more than 59 balls in a season. In fact, I remember when Deion last got injured, how givens couldnt step up and be the number one guy. Givens has NEVER played in 16 regular season games, he's always injured. Good guy though. I like DG just as much as the rest of you but not enough to say his best years are ahead of him. Because honestly, I can't see how anyone can say that. His stats have always hovered around the same point, he's never just taken off like most guys do on the upswing.
On the other hand. Moulds has never caught under 60 balls since after his second season. He has always consistently been free of injuries. He HAS shown that he can be a number one guy with absolutely no solid #2 guys to help him out and only sh**ty QB's throwing to him. So please, if you're going to say that Givens is on the upswing and Moulds is declining then please back it up with something other then what a scout service has to say. IMHO the only thing that matters is what a player does on the fields that speaks volumes, everything else is just a crock of sh*t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft