Welcome to PatsFans.com

Something tells me that Eric Moulds will play for the Pats

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by rookBoston, Mar 11, 2006.

1. rookBoston

rookBoston 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +69 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

When the team suspended Moulds last year, the first thing that popped into my mind is "We gotta get him".

And really, it doesn't seem totally impossible to me. Moulds is the kind of veteran player that BB likes.

And after playing for a team searching for an identity for the last three years, Moulds might be looking for a run at a SB with his former divisional nemesis.

With all the cap space, a big hole at WR, a crappy draft class and very little in free agency, Moulds seems like the best and only fit for the Pats.

2. italian pat patriot

italian pat patriot In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

and i hope you are right.
    i like him too.

3. mcsully

mcsully In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 3 / -0

There were reports he should have been cut. Wonder what is holding it up.
    I'm holding out hope like you!

4. smg93

smg93 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#54 Jersey

He didn't want to restructure his 10+million salary though so I think that would be a big hindrance to him coming here.

5. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I just don't get the point of replacing an up-and-coming 26-year old with a declining 33-year old.

6. KDPpatsfan

KDPpatsfan Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I don't agree that givens is "up and coming" ... I don't see him ever being more than an average #2. I think the Pats agree...

7. edzo44

edzo44 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0

#50 Jersey

A perfectly valid point and one on which I totally agree.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2006
  8. hodgey

hodgey Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I understand the love for Givens as a team guy, and a fantastic value for a 7th round guy. I think many are over stating his value as a #2 receiver. With arguably the best QB in the game, and a so called great throwing system I believe his production as a #2 is average. I like Givens, but hope we upgrade to #2 on the level of a Reggie Wayne, Jerry Porter, or even an Eric Moulds. If we sign an aging veteran perhaps we can draft the long term solution. My hopes have been since our playoff loss that we upgrade at WR & Oline.

9. Willie55

Willie55 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Money. ten characters

10. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +584 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

I think Moulds is better than Givens, still, but only for a year or two. For the right money I'd give him a 3 year deal.

11. fgssand

fgssand PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#17 Jersey

Because the up and commer will never rise to the level that the decliner is at until Moulds is about 41.

Please, Eric Moulds is an awesome Wr - look at his success given the situation he has been forced to endure - Buffalo.....

12. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I Think that is the point everyone is trying to make. Givens is gone, and he was at worse, a very capable #2. His loss leaves a hole. So now we must fill the hole as best we can. This year's draft has few bonified names at WR, though we probably will find another later round selection that will mature as well as Givens did. So how do we fill it for this year? Big name, big salary, big ego types typically are not destined for Pats uniforms. There are exceptions, but if we take name vet players off of the wire, they typically are willing to take a big cut in pay and were always the team first, win first kinda guys. Not the me first, numbers first kind. For this reason, I dont really see Wayne Porter or Moulds ever wearing a Flying Elvis.

13. stinkypete

stinkypete In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -1

#24 Jersey

Very true, Moulds has been an elite receiver his entire career. 2005 was his first off year, and you can't forget that was working with (a) a running game that vanished week 7, (b) JP Lhosman and Kelly Holcumb at QB, and (c) no offensive line.

Moulds could have a Dillonesque impace here.

14. pats1

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Elite receiver? No, that hasn't been the case since 4-5 years ago.

The only time I'd get Moulds is as a veteran 1-2 year clog in a situation of a retiring player, or something to that effect - just to filter another draft pick in.

Why drop everything and start over? We haven't seen the best of Givens yet. Why just let go of your investment just when it's starting to pay off?

Love it or hate it, but here's what the Football Outsiders' system has them ranked over Givens' career:

2005:

Givens:

DPAR rank: 28th
    DVOA rank: 34th

Moulds:

DPAR rank: 56th
    DVOA rank: 64th

2004:

Givens:

DPAR rank: 24th
    DVOA rank: 27th

Moulds:

DPAR rank: 45th
    DVOA rank: 54th

2003:

Givens:

DPAR rank: 26th
    DVOA rank: 3rd

Moulds:

DPAR rank: 54th
    DVOA rank: 57th

2002:

Givens:

DPAR rank: unranked
    DVOA rank: unranked

Moulds:

DPAR rank: 55th
    DVOA rank: 71st

2001:

Moulds:

DPAR rank: 70th
    DVOA rank: 69th

2000:

Moulds:

DPAR rank: 17th
    DVOA rank: 38th

15. pats1

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Money? I do believe it was Moulds who didn't want to restructure his $10 mil. salary cap number - high than even Willie.

16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +584 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

That's fine but they can't factor in having Brady vs. Losman, Holcomb and Bledsoe.

17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +584 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

Or he may just have used it as leverage to get the hell out of Buffalo.

18. Miguel

Miguel Patriots Salary Cap Guru PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +569 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Excellent point.

FWIW - the Bills were under the cap by $14 million as of 12:44 PM yesterday so they do not need to release Moulds anytime soon. I doubt that the Pats front office are banking on Moulds release to help solve the WR depth problem as much as some of their fans are. :p

19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +584 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

We could almost certainly get him for a mediocre draft choice if we had a contract agreed to.

However after spending a 2nd, 3rd and 5th on Dillon, Starks and Andre Davis and getting one good year out of Dillon out of the whole thing so far, this trading draft choices for veterans is starting to have a sour taste in my mouth.

20. holyredeemer

holyredeemer Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

givens has NEVER caught more than 59 balls in a season. In fact, I remember when Deion last got injured, how givens couldnt step up and be the number one guy. Givens has NEVER played in 16 regular season games, he's always injured. Good guy though. I like DG just as much as the rest of you but not enough to say his best years are ahead of him. Because honestly, I can't see how anyone can say that. His stats have always hovered around the same point, he's never just taken off like most guys do on the upswing.
    On the other hand. Moulds has never caught under 60 balls since after his second season. He has always consistently been free of injuries. He HAS shown that he can be a number one guy with absolutely no solid #2 guys to help him out and only sh**ty QB's throwing to him. So please, if you're going to say that Givens is on the upswing and Moulds is declining then please back it up with something other then what a scout service has to say. IMHO the only thing that matters is what a player does on the fields that speaks volumes, everything else is just a crock of sh*t.