PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I just read something that made me go.....hmm....

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
.....more like an oddity than eye popping news, but I just didn't know what thread to put it under, so I started a new one.

At any rate it was something I caught over at Pats Pulpit and thought it was interesting when put with other facts. The blurb was about a CB who I didn't even know was on the roster, someone named Quadre Mosely.

The article was standard fare about him needing a huge 2nd year jump to make the roster....and then it mentioned something that caught my eye. The kid is 6'2 and ran a 4.32 forty. And THAT made me go hmm. Because we already have TWO other young CB's (Boldin and the aptly named Speed) who are ALSO 6'2 or over AND have run 4.3 forties.

Now NONE of these kids are eye popping CB prospects, but they are definitely working with size and speed combinations that at least on paper make them intriguing if only as individuals, but there are freaking THREE of them. (actually 4 of them when you add Gonzales)

You'd like to think that the organization that has brought us the UDFA likes of Butler, Jackson, JJones, etc could turn at least ONE of these guys into a serviceable CB down the road.

Well camp is just a few weeks down the road and when the team breaks into individual groups there are going to be a LOT of tall fast CB's heading over to their drills. This is especially interesting to me since the Pats have long been the primary breeding ground for midget CB's in the league. Marcus Jones is going to demand a seat up front in the meeting room with these giants if he is going to be able to see the chalkboard. ;)

.....more like an oddity than eye popping news, but I just didn't know what thread to put it under, so I started a new one.

At any rate it was something I caught over at Pats Pulpit and thought it was interesting when put with other facts. The blurb was about a CB who I didn't even know was on the roster, someone named Quadre Mosely.

The article was standard fare about him needing a huge 2nd year jump to make the roster....and then it mentioned something that caught my eye. The kid is 6'2 and ran a 4.32 forty. And THAT made me go hmm. Because we already have TWO other young CB's (Boldin and the aptly named Speed) who are ALSO 6'2 or over AND have run 4.3 forties.

Now NONE of these kids are eye popping CB prospects, but they are definitely working with size and speed combinations that at least on paper make them intriguing if only as individuals, but there are freaking THREE of them. (actually 4 of them when you add Gonzales)

You'd like to think that the organization that has brought us the UDFA likes of Butler, Jackson, JJones, etc could turn at least ONE of these guys into a serviceable CB down the road.

Well camp is just a few weeks down the road and when the team breaks into individual groups there are going to be a LOT of tall fast CB's heading over to their drills. This is especially interesting to me since the Pats have long been the primary breeding ground for midget CB's in the league. Marcus Jones is going to demand a seat up front in the meeting room with these giants if he is going to be able to see the chalkboard. ;)
Had my eye on the kid.

Signed by Dallas last year.

Originally, but then he was waived and made the rounds to Seattle and Tampa before settling on to New England's PS. He's on the Patriots currently.

People can say whatever they want about Pats not being able to develop wrs, but they certainly can’t say that about the 2ndary group. I like their chances with one of these 3.
Yet.......NE either had to trade for or purchase on the FA market true #1 caliber CB's Talib, Revis, and Gilmore during the last decade (3 SBs)

Yet.......NE either had to trade for or purchase on the FA market true #1 caliber CB's Talib, Revis, and Gilmore during the last decade (3 SBs)
A lot of teams do that. Pats develop cb’s and safeties that work in their system. McCourty, Harmon, Jones, Jackson, Butler etc. Not too many teams can boast that cohesion. Nothing wrong with making a splash once on a while. Most of the elite cb’s are taken high in the first round and until recently the Patriots haven’t had that luxury. We’ll see how Gonzales works on that theory?

Quite a contrast to the days of "Two way Troy Brown" and trying to coach up random players, the value of big, fast CB's & Safeties has increased exponentially for the Pats.

Well, we had Joejuan Williams…..so let’s see if one of these kids can carve out a role….

I also was asking WHY Speed wasn’t a more sought out prospect…you can’t teach height and speed…

Talib, drafted 20th, 2008
Revis drafted 14th, 2007
Gilmore drafted 10th, 2012

The true blue-chip corners who typically have all the traits (including production in college) to be in the conversation with the guys you mentioned are taken way up in the draft now, since it's such a QB/WR game now. When in the last 22 years have the have the Pats been in position to get one?

They could have grabbed Talib in 2008, but took Mayo (better pick).
The point is, if they can make JC Jackson et al play at such a high level, the blue-chippers always gone when they pick should be able to develop. That's why so many are drooling about Gonzo.

Mosley was 6’1” 185 leaving college according to Draftscout. He ran a 4.4 flat forty and impressive agility drills. Very good but the writer at Pat’s Pulpit gave him an extra inch and some additional speed. He needed to get stronger leaving college, he was undersized and weak. According to his current Patriot page he put on weight, went from 185 pounds to 198 pounds. He is an interesting prospect opposite Gonzalez.

Ameer Speed also has the prerequisite athleticism but his explosion numbers weren’t great and his college play reflects that. It might be a flaw they can fix through coaching or plyometric training. One or both of these guys might come in handy given Jack Jones penchant for screwing up, and they could use more CB size.

A real diamond in the rough in that DB room might be the kid we signed from the CFL… Rodney Randle. He’s another undersized guy like Jon and Marcus Jones who can help cover the Dolphins WR’s because he has that type of speed and athleticism. He was 5’9” leaving school but ran a 4.3 flat forty, he had a 41” vert and great agility drills.

The backfield could be really fast and good if the youth movement works.

Last edited:

I wouldn’t be surprised if 2 of the 3 big, speedy guys make it. It’s up to them though, they need to kick butt in camp so it makes it difficult to cut them. My money is on Bolden and Speed. And I agree, the Pats are REALLY good at finding and cultivating late round and UDFA DBs. Gay, Butler, J Jones and Jackson are great examples as far as the UDFA finds.

Well, we had Joejuan Williams…..so let’s see if one of these kids can carve out a role….

I also was asking WHY Speed wasn’t a more sought out prospect…you can’t teach height and speed…
Well JJ had ONE of those criteria, size. But IIRC, he had below average speed (4.6) and didn't run the 3 cone. Quickness clearly wasn't an asset for him. ALL of our 4 really tall CB's have run 4.3 forties, and had sub seven 3 cone times. In the clip Phily posted, Mosely was credited with an incredible 6.33 time.

All that needs to be tempered by the fact that Mosely DIDN'T make the Cowboys or the next team he tried out for, before he wound up on the Pats PS and the run up to camp. You cannot gauge how good a football player really is on the field with a stopwatch. But it doesn't hurt to start with the raw talent.

Personally I'm encouraged by the fact there aren't just one of these guys on the roster, there are FOUR of them including our #1 pick. So it's not like you need to hit on all 4. You just have to hit on 2 of them. Gonzales of course, and just ONE of the 3 others and you have the makings of a spectacular secondary given J & M Jones plus all the really fast Safety talent that exists (Peppers, Duggar, Phillips, etc and the Mapu wild card from the 2nd level

BTW- Gonzales has gone pretty much under the radar in the run up to camp, but one thing I took from the draft that I noticed was that it took just about 10 SECONDS for the Pats to get Gonzo's name to the podium after the Lions pick at 18 was announced.

Mosley was 6’1” 185 leaving college according to Draftscout. He ran a 4.4 flat forty and impressive agility drills. Very good but the writer at Pat’s Pulpit gave him an extra inch and some additional speed. He needed to get stronger leaving college, he was undersized and weak. According to his current Patriot page he put on weight, went from 185 pounds to 198 pounds. He is an interesting prospect opposite Gonzalez.

Ameer Speed also has the prerequisite athleticism but his explosion numbers weren’t great and his college play reflects that. It might be a flaw they can fix through coaching or plyometric training. One or both of these guys might come in handy given Jack Jones penchant for screwing up, and they could use more CB size.

A real diamond in the rough in that DB room might be the kid we signed from the CFL… Rodney Randle. He’s another undersized guy like Jon and Marcus Jones who can help cover the Dolphins WR’s because he has that type of speed and athleticism. He was 5’9” leaving school but ran a 4.3 flat forty, he had a 41” vert and great agility drills.

The backfield could be really fast and good if the youth movement works.
What about Boldin. I thought he was a better prospect than Speed?

What about Boldin. I thought he was a better prospect than Speed?
Terrible agility drills, but has everything else. Seems to be good at linear things like special teams coverage and return teams, but I don't want him playing man coverage. Unless of course he can improve his agility or didn't prepare for them at his pro day.

Well JJ had ONE of those criteria, size. But IIRC, he had below average speed (4.6) and didn't run the 3 cone. Quickness clearly wasn't an asset for him. ALL of our 4 really tall CB's have run 4.3 forties, and had sub seven 3 cone times. In the clip Phily posted, Mosely was credited with an incredible 6.33 time.

All that needs to be tempered by the fact that Mosely DIDN'T make the Cowboys or the next team he tried out for, before he wound up on the Pats PS and the run up to camp. You cannot gauge how good a football player really is on the field with a stopwatch. But it doesn't hurt to start with the raw talent.

Personally I'm encouraged by the fact there aren't just one of these guys on the roster, there are FOUR of them including our #1 pick. So it's not like you need to hit on all 4. You just have to hit on 2 of them. Gonzales of course, and just ONE of the 3 others and you have the makings of a spectacular secondary given J & M Jones plus all the really fast Safety talent that exists (Peppers, Duggar, Phillips, etc and the Mapu wild card from the 2nd level

BTW- Gonzales has gone pretty much under the radar in the run up to camp, but one thing I took from the draft that I noticed was that it took just about 10 SECONDS for the Pats to get Gonzo's name to the podium after the Lions pick at 18 was announced.

Gonzalez is out #1 CB. The other 3 are potential ST Gunners in my opinion. No comparison. Lumping them together as a group of 4 is a mistake IMO.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back