PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Something tells me that Eric Moulds will play for the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
pats1 said:
Elite receiver? No, that hasn't been the case since 4-5 years ago.

The only time I'd get Moulds is as a veteran 1-2 year clog in a situation of a retiring player, or something to that effect - just to filter another draft pick in.

Why drop everything and start over? We haven't seen the best of Givens yet. Why just let go of your investment just when it's starting to pay off?

Love it or hate it, but here's what the Football Outsiders' system has them ranked over Givens' career:

2005:

Givens:

DPAR rank: 28th
DVOA rank: 34th

Moulds:

DPAR rank: 56th
DVOA rank: 64th

2004:

Givens:

DPAR rank: 24th
DVOA rank: 27th

Moulds:

DPAR rank: 45th
DVOA rank: 54th

2003:

Givens:

DPAR rank: 26th
DVOA rank: 3rd

Moulds:

DPAR rank: 54th
DVOA rank: 57th

2002:

Givens:

DPAR rank: unranked
DVOA rank: unranked

Moulds:

DPAR rank: 55th
DVOA rank: 71st

2001:

Moulds:

DPAR rank: 70th
DVOA rank: 69th

2000:

Moulds:

DPAR rank: 17th
DVOA rank: 38th

For what it's worth, the 2005 Sporting News rankings had Givens #11, Moulds #20 for wide receivers.

Undoubtedly, there is a big dose of wishful thinking in all this... but there are real precedents on BB's side... and I think Moulds would make some sacrifices to play for a franchise with a perennial shot at the SB. We have the cap space, and giving Moulds a 3-year deal can work for everyone involved.

You can show me all the stats you want, but there is no comparing Moulds and Givens. I'm a big DG fan, but Moulds is a different class of player altogether. He has been a top-10 player at his position for a decade... Givens is a great role player and quality complementary piece to a good team. If you think Givens's stats looks good, give CW, TB, BB and the rest of the team some credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back