PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Someone's jumped the gun...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: someone's jumped the gun....

That's quite a leap of logic there. The Pats are franchising Matt Cassel so Tom Brady MUST be out for '09, right?

i cant wait for the kevin oconnell show in 2009!

They gave themselves away in sentence one :

"The New England Patriots have put the franchise tag on quarterback Matt Cassel, ESPN reported on Sunday"

With a completely false statement.

That is HILARIOUS. I think they're trying to distract Jets fans from their own team with wishful thinking..

We're going to read a gadzillion stories like this between now and February 5th or whatever the "tag day" is.

Some of these stories are going to be pure rumor, some are going to be idle speculation, some are going to be accurate (but we won't know which) and some, believe it or not, may actually be planted by the Patriots as disinformation, on both sides of the story.

Read. Laugh. Ignore.

The source of the quote is from the NY Daily News gossip article, btw :

Oh, no! '09 will be a lost cause for Patriot Tom Brady

Yes, the New York Daily News. The same paper that put an asterisk next to the Patriots record all of last year in the standings with the note "caught cheating," or something to that effect. As that paper stands for gossip, the fact that the story appears in its gossip section is telling (gossip on top of gossip?). I also would not call "a friend of the player" a reliable source, nor would I call anything from the paper credible news.

I do not know about you, but the "Aubrey O’Day to pose in Playboy" story immediately below the Brady story was riveting, reflecting the sort of investigative journalism a paper should pride itself on.:)

Last edited:

I do not know about you, but the "Aubrey O’Day to pose in Playboy" story immediately below the Brady story was riveting, reflecting the sort of investigative journalism a paper should pride itself on.:)

Now there's some shoddy reporting. This so-called journalist has the temerity to refer to Ms. O'Day as "uber-blond" next to a photo showing her with an inch of dark roots! How do these people live with themselves?? Have they no standards, no conscience???

Oh yeah, the gossip item about Tommy's knee. Whateva.

Now there's some shoddy reporting. This so-called journalist has the temerity to refer to Ms. O'Day as "uber-blond" next to a photo showing her with an inch of dark roots! How do these people live with themselves?? Have they no standards, no conscience???

Oh yeah, the gossip item about Tommy's knee. Whateva.

:rofl: :rofl:

Brady’s last futile attempt to repair his torn knee ligament was back in October of last year; he has not played a game since the 2008 Patriots’ season-opener against the Kansas City Chiefs.

No wonder the Pat's were made. He's so self-confident he did the surgery HIMSELF! hehe

I like the last line too, because it's a little-known fact...

Maybe these guys are auditioning for a job with The Onion.

I have to laugh at how in the first paragraph the column states "the New England Patriots have put the franchise tag on quarterback Matt Cassel" and then a few paragraphs later note that the franchise tag designation cannot be used till February. Did the reporter jump in the DeLorean to go Back To The Future for this information?

Even more humorous is the 'about' link to The Post Chronicle:

The Post Chronicle™ (tPC™) was founded with one goal in mind: that is, to deliver honest, compelling, timely news and information that offers insight and information designed to engage and excite.

Our news stories are timely and informative, our opinion columnists are highly motivated, and encouraged to put forward independent commentary and analysis. Our news staff is compelled to provide up-to-the minute news that is accurate and unbiased, and present clear-cut facts and data you can trust. Our editors are determined to ensure accurate, compelling content, and thorough, careful reporting on a wide variety of issues and events.

What a complete joke; gossip columns being quoted as legitimate sources of information.

Someone within the Patriot organization is telling folks in the media Brady is seriously hurt.

One theory that has been circulated on this board is that this is being done to drive up Cassel's value in trade. Doesn't really make a whole lot of sense cause it doesn't drive his value up to anyone but the NEP. Other teams will assess if he is worth it or not.

But it does drive down Brady's potential value in trade.

So how about this for a theory:

BB has already decided he would rather trade Brady and keep Cassel and has shared this with his inner circle. So McDanials or Pioli gives inside off the record information to the media that Brady's injury is healing slower than expected to drive down his value so they get him for a bargain price for their new team as they would be the only likely suitor.

The whole problem with the idea that these rumors will "drive up" the price on Cassel is that everyone KNOWS that if Brady wasn't going to play in 2009 that the Pats wouldn't be looking to trade Cassel at all. They'd just put the Exclusive Franchise Tag on him and be done with it.

I also don't believe that this is somehow some twisted plot by McDaniels and Pioli to get Brady from the Pats for cheap after they've gone to another team.

The whole problem with the idea that these rumors will "drive up" the price on Cassel is that everyone KNOWS that if Brady wasn't going to play in 2009 that the Pats wouldn't be looking to trade Cassel at all. They'd just put the Exclusive Franchise Tag on him and be done with it.

I also don't believe that this is somehow some twisted plot by McDaniels and Pioli to get Brady from the Pats for cheap after they've gone to another team.

There are two problems with that:
(1) Exclusive costs as much as, if not more than, non-exclusive.
(2) It ignores the existence of Kevin O'Connell. For all we know, the Patriots may be convinced he'll be ready to lead the team at the start of 2009 if need be.

Not saying you're wrong, just that it's not that simple a solution.

So how about this for a theory:

BB has already decided he would rather trade Brady and keep Cassel and has shared this with his inner circle. So McDanials or Pioli gives inside off the record information to the media that Brady's injury is healing slower than expected to drive down his value so they get him for a bargain price for their new team as they would be the only likely suitor.

Ah, now THERE'S a conspiracy theory! Yee-haw!!

I particularly like the part how spreading a falsifiable rumor to the gossip columns leaves the rumor-starter "the only likely suitor" for Tom F'in Brady. :)

Someone within the Patriot organization is telling folks in the media Brady is seriously hurt.

One theory that has been circulated on this board is that this is being done to drive up Cassel's value in trade. Doesn't really make a whole lot of sense cause it doesn't drive his value up to anyone but the NEP. Other teams will assess if he is worth it or not.

As someone who's circulated that, let me clarify.

And, the "value...to the NEP" is exactly what is on the table here.

Other teams have already taken a view on Matt's abilities based on his performance this season, on his pedigree at USC and with BB and on his athleticism. Having taken that view, they've also taken a view on how he would fit in with their organization/team and, finally, on whether they want him as their QB.

If they've decided that they want him, the "only" thing left is to decide is how much they would be willing to give up for him. As in any negotiation, that will be driven by the degree of motivation of both the buyer and the seller. And, also as in any negotiation, the perceived "degree of motivation" of both parties will be as much a matter of perception as it is of reality.

By spreading stories that there is serious doubt that TB will be able to return to his old form in 2009 , the NEP would put the thought in the mind of the buyer that Matt might be of greater value to his current team than if they were sure Brady was going to be 100% sometime early in 2009. Accordingly, the "buyer" would know that the "seller" is not as highly motivated as it might be to unload Matt and the "buyer" would understand that it might have to offer more to get him. I'm not suggesting that the Pats ARE doing this, but it would be a smart strategy in this negotiation and we all know that the Krafts and Piolichick are, if nothing else, smart.

Conversely, if the "buyer" thought that the "seller" was in a hurry to get rid of Matt because the "seller" was confident that its HOF QB was returning in his old form and, as a result, really didn't want to chew up $23 or so million of cap room at QB, the "buyer" would be inclined to think that the "seller" might take less for him to get him off the roster.

Seems like a pretty basic, but good, negotiating ploy to me.

It looks like they might have pulled the article already.
"page not found"

As someone who's circulated that, let me clarify.

And, the "value...to the NEP" is exactly what is on the table here.

Other teams have already taken a view on Matt's abilities based on his performance this season, on his pedigree at USC and with BB and on his athleticism. Having taken that view, they've also taken a view on how he would fit in with their organization/team and, finally, on whether they want him as their QB.

If they've decided that they want him, the "only" thing left is to decide is how much they would be willing to give up for him. As in any negotiation, that will be driven by the degree of motivation of both the buyer and the seller. And, also as in any negotiation, the perceived "degree of motivation" of both parties will be as much a matter of perception as it is of reality.

By spreading stories that there is serious doubt that TB will be able to return to his old form in 2009 , the NEP would put the thought in the mind of the buyer that Matt might be of greater value to his current team than if they were sure Brady was going to be 100% sometime early in 2009. Accordingly, the "buyer" would know that the "seller" is not as highly motivated as it might be to unload Matt and the "buyer" would understand that it might have to offer more to get him. I'm not suggesting that the Pats ARE doing this, but it would be a smart strategy in this negotiation and we all know that the Krafts and Piolichick are, if nothing else, smart.

Conversely, if the "buyer" thought that the "seller" was in a hurry to get rid of Matt because the "seller" was confident that its HOF QB was returning in his old form and, as a result, really didn't want to chew up $23 or so million of cap room at QB, the "buyer" would be inclined to think that the "seller" might take less for him to get him off the roster.

Seems like a pretty basic, but good, negotiating ploy to me.

That dynamic is only really relevant if their is only one buyer.

If Brady is not going to be able to start - Cassel is not on the market.

If Cassel is on the market - the question is not how much is he worth to the NEP, but among KC, Lions, Vikings etc. who is willing to pay the most.

It looks like they might have pulled the article already.
"page not found"

Wow. Responsible journalism. Who'd've thunk it? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back