PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Someone's jumped the gun...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Brady gone for '09 Too?

If you are gonna b!tch about something, make sure you are b!tching to the right person about it. I didn't make the thread that I posted the link to. Also, how hard would it have been for you to have put your cursor over the title on the main screen to see what they little synopsis box said?

The person who did that one did the title specifically that way because of how foolish both the articles are.

Maybe we should have ONE "Brady's health status thread DO NOT START ANOTHER ONE" like the trade Brady thread. We have at least three threads on Brady's health every day.

Re: someone's jumped the gun....

Is this a joke? So, you still think Belichick will take a $10 million cap hit in order to trade Brady (the obviously better QB of the two) and pay Matt Cassel equal or lesser money to Brady??
Cutting or trading Brady would actually save over $4M when you take the salary - bonus acceleration. There would be $10M of dead money but still a savings.

That said - Brady isn't getting cut or traded.

Maybe we should have ONE "Brady's health status thread DO NOT START ANOTHER ONE" like the trade Brady thread. We have at least three threads on Brady's health every day.
The first officer concurs.

I could not agree more.

........:youtheman:.......

Do it Ian,do it:D

Cutting or trading Brady would actually save over $4M when you take the salary - bonus acceleration. There would be $10M of dead money but still a savings.

That said - Brady isn't getting cut or traded.

Right, I was referring to the dead money. The "Trade Brady" folks are acting as if trading Brady gets his $$ off the books, which it does not, only - as you point out - the 4 milli salary. Taking a $10 million cap hit to get the best player on your team off of the roster is asinine when for $4 million more you can keep him.

One thing the keep Cassel/trade Brady posters keep citing is that we would save money by retaining Cassel, and trading Brady, which just isn't true. So we save 4 million out of 14 million, we would have to pay a lot more than that $4 million to then retain Cassel, so financially, it doesn't make sense. Dollar for dollar, no one in their right mind would take Cassel over Brady, so if you can prove that its actually a financial burden to trade Brady in favor of Cassel, it destroys the argument behind moving Brady even further.

Last edited:

Right, I was referring to the dead money. The "Trade Brady" folks are acting as if trading Brady gets his $$ off the books, which it does not, only - as you point out - the 4 milli salary. Taking a $10 million cap hit to get the best player on your team off of the roster is asinine when for $4 million more you can keep him.

One thing the keep Cassel/trade Brady posters keep citing is that we would save money by retaining Cassel, and trading Brady, which just isn't true. So we save 4 million out of 14 million, we would have to pay a lot more than that $4 million to then retain Cassel, so financially, it doesn't make sense. Dollar for dollar, no one in their right mind would take Cassel over Brady, so if you can prove that its actually a financial burden to trade Brady in favor of Cassel, it destroys the argument behind moving Brady even further.

Actually, he has $8M in salary that goes away, but $3.7M in 2010 SB prorations that gets accelerated into 2009 if he gets cut/traded (normally, that could be spread out, but not this year, with 2010 uncapped).

[The latter "problem," such as it is, actually goes away to a large extent on the off chance that the NFL and NFLPA can hammer out a new agreement in the next two months.]

Actually, he has $8M in salary that goes away, but $3.7M in 2010 SB prorations that gets accelerated into 2009 if he gets cut/traded (normally, that could be spread out, but not this year, with 2010 uncapped).

[The latter "problem," such as it is, actually goes away to a large extent on the off chance that the NFL and NFLPA can hammer out a new agreement in the next two months.]

Right, but again, the dead money is still $10 million. You save the 8 million over the span of 2 years, 4 milli a year, while paying $10 million in dead money over that span, its clearly not a good financial move.

And maybe I'm not understanding your latter point right, but even if they reached a new CBA agreement, I think the signing bonus prorations would be moved into 2009 either way. That has nothing to do with an uncapped 2010 - when a player is cut or released, all remaining signing bonus $ is moved into the cap hit of that season.

Last edited:

Right, but again, the dead money is still $10 million. You save the 8 million over the span of 2 years, 4 milli a year, while paying $10 million in dead money over that span, its clearly not a good financial move.

Let me clarify:

In 2009, Brady is owed $8M in new money, and has ~$6.6M in SB prorations.
In 2010, Brady is owed $6.5M in new money, and has ~$3.7M in SB prorations.

If Brady is cut/traded, ALL the remaining new money disappears off the cap for 2009 and 2010. OTOH, the $3.7M is accelerated into 2009.

So:
2009: Brady's cap hit: $14.6M; $10.3M if traded
2010: Brady's cap hit: $10.2M; $0 if traded

And maybe I'm not understanding your latter point right, but even if they reached a new CBA agreement, I think the signing bonus prorations would be moved into 2009 either way. That has nothing to do with an uncapped 2010 - when a player is cut or released, all remaining signing bonus $ is moved into the cap hit of that season.

Normally, if a player is cut before June 1, the entire SB is accelerated. OTOH, teams are normally allowed to treat two pre-June 1 cuts as post-June 1 cuts, when they can be prorated over two seasons. But, given that 2010 is uncapped, that option is unavailable.

I say merge it with the Brady trade thread and call it "Brady's Future" to cover all bases. Basically, if you want to speculate on his health or trade value, that could be the designated thread to reduce the clutter.

Breaking: "Toms doctor says Brady is out for 2009" ?

For whats it is worth, my friend just forwarded me this from a google alert, not sure if this one passes the smell test though...

"The New England Patriots have decided to put the franchise tag on quarterback Matt Cassel, ESPN reported on Sunday - And Tom Brady will be out of commission for another season, according to reports.

Tom's doctor said his knee is taking way longer to heal than he'd previously thought, and he won't be playing for the next year," a friend of the player laments to the New York Daily News."

Breaking: New England Patriots QB Tom Brady Out For 2009 Too - Original Sports: The Post Chronicle

Re: Breaking: "Toms doctor says Brady is out for 2009" ?

Yeah and if there was ever any proof to that BS rumor you would have seen the NAME of Brady's physician instead of 'Toms Doctor'

This is the third thread on this today. You might want to check what's already been posted first next time.

MMMmmm...

New York Daily News, right?

They probably also report that Bat Boy will replace Pioli and the ghost of JFK will take over as offensive coordinator.

This is the third thread on this today. You might want to check what's already been posted first next time.

Sorry dude I worked 11 hours today I dont have time to comb through every single thread, sorry if I ruined your day.

While we're at it, WTF is the "Post Chronicle"? I have never heard of it until today as a reputable sports site.

And that's some "friend" Tom has, blabbing to the NY Daily News. :rolleyes:

I think its time for Tom to come out and do a interview to put all this crap to bed, the more it lingers the more doubt creeps in.. Its getting frustrating, I dont think if Brady was that bad off, he would not be on the town being photographed by every tom **** and harry...

I think its time for Tom to come out and do a interview to put all this crap to bed, the more it lingers the more doubt creeps in.. Its getting frustrating, I dont think if Brady was that bad off, he would not be on the town being photographed by every tom **** and harry...

Yeah, I totally agree. Every couple of weeks there is another "OMG Brady is done!!!!!!!" media report. I know it's not the "Patriot Way" to comment on injuries and such, but this is starting to get ridiculous. And yes, my stomach turns every time I think of Brady being out another year.

Also, when Donovan McNabb, Carson Palmer, Philip Rivers, Terrell Davis, Jerry Rice, Braylon Edwards, Rod Woodson, Shawn Merriman, Jamal Anderson, Edgerrin James, and Daunte Culpepper tore thier ACL's, I never heard a word about them never being able to play again. Why must the media keep doing these BS stories about Tom...is the disdain for the Patriots organization THAT bad that tearing down thier best player this often is necessary?

Yeah, I totally agree. Every couple of weeks there is another "OMG Brady is done!!!!!!!" media report. I know it's not the "Patriot Way" to comment on injuries and such, but this is starting to get ridiculous. And yes, my stomach turns every time I think of Brady being out another year.

Also, when Donovan McNabb, Carson Palmer, Philip Rivers, Terrell Davis, Jerry Rice, Braylon Edwards, Rod Woodson, Shawn Merriman, Jamal Anderson, Edgerrin James, and Daunte Culpepper tore thier ACL's, I never heard a word about them never being able to play again. Why must the media keep doing these BS stories about Tom...is the disdain for the Patriots organization THAT bad that tearing down thier best player this often is necessary?

From the over blown and completely unprofessional outcome from Spygate....this doesn't surprise me in the least.....

We have been the media's black sheep for a few years now....

So any news on the health of Brady... will be destroyed and blown out of proportion.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back