PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seattle OC on The Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Official League Shill talked to the Seahawks offensive coordinator about The Play:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/08/19/darrell-bevell-seattle-seahawks-super-bowl-play-call

The part I found most interesting was this:

One coach and the other quarterback had the same problem with the call: trying to beat a physical, huge cornerback in what was sure to be a bang-bang physical play at the goal line.

Bingo. It's not like they didn't know who they were dealing with. Also, even another big CB probably gives enough ground that Butler can't get around and defeat the pick.

Totally turned a safe play into a fail because they picked on the beast of all CBs and should have known.

That doesn't contradict my view. Football is a team game.

That doesn't make my statement untrue. It's a safe play with an average, or even bigger than average CB.

That doesn't make my statement untrue. It's a safe play with an average, or even bigger than average CB.

Butler mad a great play, but with a normal cornerback, he would have needed to make a supernatural play.

The best and funniest part is how Butler knocked him on his ass

We can't expect him to have fought for the ball, because he didn't see Malcolm coming, and the speed of Malcolm beating him to the ball knocked him on his ass

It's the super bowl. How can you not give ultimate effort?

That's why that int is so special, it required bad judgment, expecting a successful pick on badass Browner, weak execution, Lockette assuming he just needed an average effort to go to Disneyland, then on top of that the play of a lifetime, that would not have been physically possible without parts 1 and 2.

Without Browner, there is no play.

I would agree if Butler simply broke up the pass play but intercepting the ball while knocking the receiver on his ass is another level.

How about this? Carroll says BB knows we like torun this play. Make a big move to the left until you get the back CB to commit and we'll pretend to run the pick play. When you see him commit, waltz into the 1/2 of the end zone that's empty.:D

Wouldn't that have sucked?

I would agree if Butler simply broke up the pass play but intercepting the ball while knocking the receiver on his ass is another level.

I didn't say it wasn't. Butler made theplay of a lifetime, but it wouldn't have been physically possible without Browner, that's just a fact. It was a 1 yard pass with a [should have been]screen behind it.

If i parked a truck there, that doesn't mean the truck made a great play, but he's not going through or around the truck before the receiver can catch a one yard pass.

I thought Belichick baited Carol into it. He preaches situational football and knew that if they ended up in a situation like that he should force them to throw by scheme and allowing the clock to run. I would bet that they knew it would be one of three or four options and knew pretty much what it would be when Seattle lined up. That doesn't man it wasn't brilliantly executed defense because it was, buy imo Belichick baited the Hawks into it.

It's amazing how one play will become part of a Players/Coach Legacy and shade the rest of their accomplishments. Some are lucky some are not.

Butlers interception - Great for Butler, Horrible for Wilson, Carol and Bevell.
Sanchez and the Butt fumble
Bill's wide right. Norwood's missed field goal.
Bill Buckner - (although that thankfully has faded over the last few years)
Welker and the non-catch
David Tyree's helmet catch

Had the Seahawks gone on to win, the defining play would have been Kearse's catch.

I think they should have ran it at least once before passing it but, in reality the chance of getting picked on that fade route was very very low.

Was there enough time between Browner blowing up the pick and the throw for Wilson to assess and throw it away?

Was there enough time between Browner blowing up the pick and the throw for Wilson to assess and throw it away?

No. That criticism is undeserved. In fact, waiting to see if Lockette was open would have been a worse play since, by then, it would have been too late to make a throw. The only real criticism of Wilson is that he could have put the ball lower, making an int a near impossibility. With that little distance, even if Lockette were falling as he caught it, he still would have crossed the GL.

You wouldn't be disagreeing if the Patriots were on the other end of it. You only like it because it ended up going swimmingly for New England. Nothing wrong with that, either. That's why I love the play. But, looking at it critically, it was one of the worst play calls of all time. FFS, the best defense that coaches can come up with there is "if it was a pass, it should have been a fade"... meaning that, even if it wasn't a run, it was still a bad call to draw up a quick slant into traffic there.

You're right on the money here Kontra! However, if you're going to pass, you don't go over the middle.

But a pass play was the right call on second down and time for 2 more plays (at least).

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back