PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Public appology broke down Mankins deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong. The Pats are completely on base and handling this EXACTLY as they should and Mankins is AWOL again.

There is nowhere to go without a public apology, period. If Mankins gets away with insulting his organization than that will quickly become the league standard negotiating ploy of last resort.

Not going to happen.

only thing different they couldve done was to mention the public apologiy before negotiating. not sure why they insisted after the work was done.

For those who think that shouldn't matter, Troy was talking about that his AM and he said he never talked personally to Kraft although his support for retaining him was communicated via others. Said you can say anything to Bill, he doesn't care - he gets the player mentality. Not so most any owner, definitely Kraft - who passionately cares about how the franchise that his family stands behind is perceived. And neither Fauria (who is more a financial compromise guy) and Troy said that outlier deals like Evans can't be solely held up for match, period.

Fauria and Troy believe the report, they don't believe Logan will acquiesse. They are both befuddled by why this matters so much to each side. Thing is if Logan can admit he was wr..wr..wrong - and btw I have a feeling he just did make that public admission backhandedly assuming Bauer was probably the source of this report since I doubt anyone here would drop that little nugget on opening day - and they were approaching his demands even as he did, what kind of knucklehead can't be accoutable because his principles or is that ego won't allow it??

He still doesn't get it. In order to get the big bucks here you have to be a core, all in, team first leader. Those guys have to be not just talented but accountable.

I gotta agree with Kraft here. Mankins was the one who made this public and brought this out into the open. He called into question not only Kraft, but the whole Patriots organization. How would that reflect on the Pats with future free agents think the Pats negotiate in good faith or lie? Who knows what the whole story is, but if the Pats wanted Mankins to openly say Im sorry, maybe that a bit much. I cant see how Mankins saying something along the lines of "mistakes were made, and maybe I could have handled this differently". Would that have killed him?

What a bunch of lemmings here...PLAYING you like a fiddle...WHO do you think leaked this??? WHY do you think it is out there an HOUR before the game?? FROM the Logan mouthpiece..OF COURSE!!! AND That my friends is why...1---I do not believe the report,,it is Mankin's TRASH agent talking to Shecter ...to cause trouble and 2---WHy do you think it was done now here?? TO CAUSE trouble...!! Mankins and his mouthpiece can go to HELL!!! THAT agent has been the cause of this...and he and Logan can go *** steers for all I care. I am sick of Mankins..his agent and BOTH can just go HOME for good!!! Logan airport?? Logan's run?? Logan who??

Last edited:
Re: Adam Schefter: Mankins almost resigned two weeks ago, but a public appology ended

Mr. Kraft is not going to set a precedent that would be foolhardy to his business and that of every owner in the league. Not going to happen. Never was going to happen. Never will happen.

I don't see any serious business precedent here. Players are emotional and immature and mouth off. Owners are supposed to be unemotional and business focused. Remember that BB tried time and again to sign Ty Law again after Law had called BB a liar in public. Kraft would only make himself look better were there to be a simple signing ceremony with video of Mankins and he smiling and shaking hands.

Re: Adam Schefter: Mankins almost resigned two weeks ago, but a public appology ended

All I can think of is the Godfather quote "It's not personal, it's business".

I'm a little pissed at the organization for this. They made it personal. I thought they were more professional than that.

But overall,very petty by both sides indeed.

After seeing the Pats give Brady 19M per vs. Mankins' 7M when they are both part of an 11 man working unit and Brady has already made about 100 times as much as Mankins over the course of their careers, I'm actually a little surprised that Mankins even agreed to privately apologize to Kraft.

Last edited:
If this is true then its on kraft, they could have signed the deal and say in the press release that mankins and kraft talked and mankins apologized

Last edited:

I don't see any serious business precedent here. Players are emotional and immature and mouth off. Owners are supposed to be unemotional and business focused. Remember that BB tried time and again to sign Ty Law again after Law had called BB a liar in public. Kraft would only make himself look better were there to be a simple signing ceremony with video of Mankins and he smiling and shaking hands.
And...the lemmings are believing ALL of this hook line and sinker...LOL..there's some swamp land in maine?? You wish to buy some?? Everyone is making decisions about Kraft BECAUSE of a report from Mankin's agent..leaked through AS...what a low creature HE is!!! Just take a few steps back..and HEAR what really happened...!!! It will come out in time..I hear Mankin's and his agent snickering in the background...

I think this is a compelling argument, 'though I'm generally on the side of Kraft. I agree in principle with Kraft, but I'd like him to have just shrugged his shoulders and let it go.

Infuriating foolishness.

i'm surprised so many people believe this. with how much the media makes up crap or pushes ridiculous stories (Brady was going to sit out week 1 if he wasn't paid), why should we believe this.

i chalk this up to Mankin's side being upset that the Patriots are happy to start the season without him and the world has moved on, and they want to remind everybody that they're still waiting by the phone. no one in the media has been talking about Mankins (putting no pressure on the Patriots) and this gets him discussed again.

it seems like a desperate move from a player/agent that overplayed their hand and find themselves left out.

This stretches believability. For $57M, it is hard to believe a public apology was a deal-breaker for either side.

Book them on Dr. Phil and let them hug it out. For crying out loud, play some football.

I'll go on record here as believing that this is all coming from Mankins' agent. Kraft and the Patriot's front office rarely, if ever, comment on ongoing negotiations. I can't believe for one minute that this information, even if true, came from anyone in Kraft's office, of the Patriot's staff.

This is, IMHO. a stupid move by Mankins' agent that will likely backfire on him and Mankins both. I have said all along that I truly believe that Mankins is being poorly served by his agent, and this, to my mind, confirms that statement.

Mankins' agent is simply trying to stir up the pot, and by going to the press with this story has likely set up his client for a bad situation, and possibly no football for a year or more.
TOTALLY agree...who KNOWs what the truth is..but an hour before the first game you leak a poisonous story to get a reaction!! WHat a snake this piece of trash is.....If you THINK the PATS will react and do anything MORE..be prepared to NEVER set foot in Foxboro again...TO me THIS is a game breaker!!!

This is the second time he's refused seven mil. He wants to be a core player? BS. He can't be un-accountable AND a core player. Personally, I suspect he really doesn't want to come back ......... otherwise the negotiations don't regress and people don't turn down seven mil. Let him play closer to his ranch.

Trade the *****.

All I can think of is the Godfather quote "It's not personal, it's business".

I'm a little pissed at the organization for this. They made it personal. I thought they were more professional than that.

But overall,very petty by both sides indeed.

While it is about 'business', any defamatory comments made by Mankins could have affected both public and player views on how Kraft does business.

Keep in mind that there are only 32 owners in this league but there are many more LG and prospective left guards who are dying to play for an NFL team. In other words, players come and go. Owners only change hands once in a blue moon.

If we look at it in the 'real world' do you think an employee can get away with insulting an owner of a company? No. They'll just fire his ***** and hire someone else.

No easy to trade him. You need to find a team willing to spend $7+ million for a guard, then get him to agree to that team and SIGN a Pats contract (he has none now) and THEN trade him.

This is just dumb on both sides if this is true, If I were Mankins I would of just said whatever sucked it up and taken my 50 + million dollar contract. I don't think Kraft needed a public apology. They could of just leaked that Mankins apologized to him.

For those who think that shouldn't matter, Troy was talking about that his AM and he said he never talked personally to Kraft although his support for retaining him was communicated via others. Said you can say anything to Bill, he doesn't care - he gets the player mentality. Not so most any owner, definitely Kraft - who passionately cares about how the franchise that his family stands behind is perceived. And neither Fauria (who is more a financial compromise guy) and Troy said that outlier deals like Evans can't be solely held up for match, period.

Fauria and Troy believe the report, they don't believe Logan will acquiesse. They are both befuddled by why this matters so much to each side. Thing is if Logan can admit he was wr..wr..wrong - and btw I have a feeling he just did make that public admission backhandedly assuming Bauer was probably the source of this report since I doubt anyone here would drop that little nugget on opening day - and they were approaching his demands even as he did, what kind of knucklehead can't be accoutable because his principles or is that ego won't allow it??

He still doesn't get it. In order to get the big bucks here you have to be accountable...NOT happening here...

Last edited:
No easy to trade him. You need to find a team willing to spend $7+ million for a guard, then get him to agree to that team and SIGN a Pats contract (he has none now) and THEN trade him.

The alternative is a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2012 (assuming we haven't signed anyone that year to offset). I'll take a low third for him in 2011.

Screw Mankins. He insulted Kraft publicly, he should be man enough to apologize publicly. Hopefully Connolly keeps looking great and Mankins only has his pride to blame if the holdout impacts his career.

EXACTLY!

His diss was public, then the apology should be public. If you slander someone in public, a "Gee, I'm sorry" behind closed doors doesn't do it.

That's basic.

Even John Tomase knows that one.

So Mankins is lower than Tomase.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back