PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Public appology broke down Mankins deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
THIS is why you will never get with 1,000 miles of an NFL front office job (but, neither will I).

Mankins is under contract for another year. Why cut him and get nothing? He's a tradeable commodity. What you suggest is business suicide.

I am not suggesting it really. I am just pointing out how crazy the idea is.

He's under contract?

No, the team holds his rights. He's not under contract.

Business-wise he is their property. He cannot go to another team right now without the Patriots consent. You're right - - my verbiage ('under contract" was wrong - - as I mentioned I will never be within 1,000 miles of a FO job either).

However, the point still stands that the Patriots (or any other 1% competent business organization) would never let fly someone who is a valuable commodity for free.

Last edited:
This thread has grown beyond my control. The dream is collapsing.

probably been said 100 times on this thread, but, both sides know this is a business. I don't buy the requiring a public apology by the Patriots. It just doesn't seem to be their MO.

This is pretty much it. Basically, IF Kraft required a public apology from Mankins after a man-to-man apology, then he's essentially on Mankins' level and is no better than the holdout. However, as you said, given the Pats' history, I don't really see how this could be true. Schefter is extremely successful in his scoops, but I would need to say see more in this case.

EDIT: Nevermind. Just read the other thread.

Last edited:
Just saw on ESPN.com, Robert Kraft says no deal was ever in place...apology or not.

There are objective facts and then there is hype and hysteria.

Fact1: The Mankins camp and the Pats Front Office ARE talking.

Fact2: The Mankins camp had implicitly accepted the basic terms of the latest Pats offer, even if they never admitted it, to the Pats.

Fact3: Belichick has a budget for the Team as a whole,and is part of his CAP planning. He approved the offer that they extended to Mankins.

Fact4: Mankins made the personal phone call to Robert Kraft and extended a personal and private apology.

Fact5: Kraft accepted the apology and thought a public recognition that an apology was offered should be made public.

Fact6: When Mankins didn't initiate it, Kraft made the first move, went on the radio and made it public, so Logan wouldn't have to do it, so publicly. All he need do, is merely confirm it in the inevitable press question in the signing press conference.

Speculation1: A deal has essentially been agreed to; and Mankins will rejoin the Patriots at some point.

Speculation2: Judging from Connolly's play and background coming from a very small school, the Pats may have a replacement starting G or two, with Kaczur, for older Stephen Neal.

Comments?

Last edited:
At this point, I'd rather the season just move on without him. Is he a great LG? Yep. Is he irreplaceable? Nope.

There are objective facts and then there is hype and hysteria.

Fact1: The Mankins camp and the Pats Front Office WERE talking.

Fact2: Belichick has a budget for the Team as a whole,and is part of his CAP planning. He approved the offer that they extended to Mankins. Kraft generally blesses those offers.

Fact3: Mankins made the personal phone call to Robert Kraft and extended a personal and private apology, and as Kraft suggested agreed he would make that known publicly once he signed a deal to remain here or be traded (although both agreed his remaining was again/still their preference).

Speculation1: When Logan and his agent arrived at Floyd Reese office to talk terms, after already talking to Robert Kraft by phone - shortly after reviewing tape from the first two weeks of pre season OL play, they were stunned to see the off had not risen to the level they anticipated...

Speculation 2: Frank Bauer again allowed or encouraged his client to become so mad he couldn't see (or think) straight. Then he fabricated another scenario loosly related to the truth to explain why it's not his clients fault he can't get a deal here and leaked it to Schefter on the eve of opening day.

Comments?

Fixed that for you...

Speculation 2: Judging from Connolly's play and background coming from a very small school, the Pats may have a replacement starting G or two, with Kaczur, for older Stephen Neal.

Comments?

I'd wait until the results of next week's game before hoping that Connolly can be a starting-calibre replacement for Mankin$. And who knows when, if ever, Kaczur will return; and if he does, in what condition will he be found.

No Pats deal with Logan Mankins

"New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft stressed Monday that the team never had a deal in place with offensive lineman Logan Mankins, apology or no apology."

<SNIP>

"We made an offer that would allow him to be paid very well, like a Pro Bowl guard," Kraft told WEEI. "I'm not sure his people felt it was appropriate. I know it was comparable with [Jets lineman] Nick Mangold's salary [seven years, $55 million].

Not sure if this had been reported anywhere (It's ESPN for those who wish to boycott). One would assume that changes things substantially given Kraft's penchant for being tight lipped. Looks like Bauer is the one supplying Mankins with exceptionally bad advice.

Piss him off Logan and get your arse back in a Pats uniform.

Last edited:
from where I sit, this is history...ancient Mankins history

from where I sit, this is history...ancient Mankins history

Agreed. Also wish we could remove Mankins' face from the top of the page. That is one fugly dude.

Agreed. Also wish we could remove Mankins' face from the top of the page. That is one fugly dude.

That my dear Sir, is something that has been irritating me for the last two days. Why look at the photo of someone not with the team??

I'm going to check with the mods right away.

Mods: Not sure how to reach you and I don't want to report my own post. :) Any chance we could remove Mr. Mankins picture from our site and instead have someone who is currently on the team please? Thanks!

Last edited:
That my dear Sir, is something that has been irritating me for the last two days. Why look at the photo of someone not with the team??

I'm going to check with the mods right away.

Mods: Not sure how to reach you and I don't want to report my own post. :) Any chance we could remove Mr. Mankins picture from our site and instead have someone who is currently on the team please? Thanks!

Only Ian controls that.

I'm with you, though. Perhaps someone should tell Mr. Mankins about a wonderful new invention called a toothbrush! I see that pic and I can hear the dueling banjoes song playing in my head.

Last edited:
Only Ian controls that.

I'm with you, though. Perhaps someone should tell Mr. Mankins about a wonderful new invention called a toothbrush! I see that pic and I can hear the dueling banjoes song playing in my head.

Thanks! I will PM Ian.

If guards were so replaceable, they wouldn't regularly be getting $40+M deals.

If they weren't so replacable, the Patriots wouldn't have won a SB with Joe Andruzzi, who they picked up on waivers. ;)

BTW, just cuz some teams give players large contracts, it doesn't mean it's a good idea. I would think that Patriots fans, of all people, would understand that first hand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back