PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Public appology broke down Mankins deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
"the first thing we do"... "is kill all the agents"

So Mankins crossed the line in impugning Kraft and the organization. In negotiating he/his agent recognized this and provided the requested apology privately. Mankins must feel that he didn't cross the line enough for a public apology - hmmm another half pregnant moment!

An honorable person does not question degree.

EXACTLY!

His diss was public, then the apology should be public.

That's basic.

Even John Tomase knows that one.

So Mankiins is lower than Tomase.
You got it....BUT I am sure the truth is NOT as Bauer has said in the press through AS......As others have pointed oput..NO ONE was talking about poor Logan...OTHERS were in the press..POOR Logan being not talked about....so one leaks a false story that infuriates teh fan base and then 1----THEY are talking about poor Logan again and 2---They are attacking Kraft!!! What a ploy!!! ANd how many are falling for this BS?????????

You got it....BUT I am sure the truth is NOT as Bauer has said in the press through AS......As others have pointed oput..NO ONE was talking about poor Logan...OTHERS were in the press..POOR Logan being not talked about....so one leaks a false story that infuriates teh fan base and then 1----THEY are talking about poor Logan again and 2---They are attacking Kraft!!! What a ploy!!! ANd how many are falling for this BS?????????

Either way. Whether it's true or just a false story floated by his agent - - either way Mankins comes off looking like a slug lower than John Tomase.

Re: Adam Schefter: Mankins almost resigned two weeks ago, but a public appology ended

Mankins had no problem attacking Kraft publicly. If he hadn't done that, I'm sure that a public apology would not be required. If he mans up, good for him, if not, then that sucks and hopefully he's ready to watch football from his couch this year. Sounds like Mankins and his agent are desperate to remain relevant, and I propose that we not help them. After all, we have 53 players on the roster, and 45 of em are taking the field today. Screw anyone who isn't here.

Last edited:
You slander someone in public, you apologize in public. He may be strong and big, but he ain't acting like a real man.

Mankins is now officially "Boykins".

If Schefter is correct, this was an act of stupidity on the part of the Patriots organization.

If Schefter is correct, this was an act of stupidity on the part of the Patriots organization.

I agree, if so.

You just invested nearly $100M in a QB and now you won't protect and utilize that once in a lifetime asset because of a public affront? Not good business.

I agree, if so.

You just invested nearly $100M in a QB and now you won't protect and utilize that once in a lifetime asset because of a public affront? Not good business.

Exactly. The team that's supposed to be all business and no emotion just let emotion leave their franchise QB with less protection than he could have had.*

*Again, this is if Schefter's report is accurate.

Last edited:
Re: Adam Schefter: Mankins almost resigned two weeks ago, but a public appology ended

While it is about 'business', any defamatory comments made by Mankins could have affected both public and player views on how Kraft does business.

Keep in mind that there are only 32 owners in this league but there are many more LG and prospective left guards who are dying to play for an NFL team. In other words, players come and go. Owners only change hands once in a blue moon.

If we look at it in the 'real world' do you think an employee can get away with insulting an owner of a company? No. They'll just fire his ***** and hire someone else.

I understand. I see how it would set a bad precedent as well. He did insult the owner publicly, and if he is as honorable as everybody seems to say he is, he SHOULD apologize publicly as well.

He did not seem very disrespected when we shocked allot of people by spending a 1st round pick on him, and most pundits thought they were crazy. Maybe a little perspective would be nice for Logan as well.

(As a side note, I work in the business world, and ALOT of business decisions are made from personal feelings, right or wrong. )

Not surprised you feel so. Situational principles...

The private apology should have been enough. Kraft was foolish in wanting this to go public. To be honest, that pretty much goes against the "Patriot Way". I thought New England didn't air their dirty laundry to the media and the public. I guess it's different when someone calls the owner a liar. If the guard play sucks today, Kraft will have just shot himself and the team in the foot.

EXACTLY!

His diss was public, then the apology should be public. If you slander someone in public, a "Gee, I'm sorry" behind closed doors doesn't do it.

That's basic.

Mankins made two mistakes, he burned bridges AND he took it personally. In any negotiation you can't let the things said get in the way of future dealings. This is especially true when it involves getting an eight figure payday.
If he let his pride get in the way of the deal, it's on Mankins. After all, he was the one who called his boss a liar publicly. If it had stayed behind closed doors, he'd likely be playing today with a deal done. Instead think of the opportunity costs. He will likely lose $5-6 million if he reports for week 10 and if there's a lockout next year, he risks losing another $7 million.....

Last edited:
Is there any evidence that this is true? How do we know the agent isn't putting out this crap to the media to stir things up? Up to last week, I heard that the Pats were not even speaking to them.

Who's to say that he would of maybe not apologized, but something along those lines in his first locker room interview upon coming back to the team? I dunno. It's a loss not having him on the team.

What did Mankins say that Kraft wants an apology for? I don't remember anything specific, I just thought it was the usual "I can't feed my family on less than $10M a year" nonsense. Did he say something about Kraft personally?

EXACTLY!

His diss was public, then the apology should be public. If you slander someone in public, a "Gee, I'm sorry" behind closed doors doesn't do it.

That's basic.

Even John Tomase knows that one.

So Mankins is lower than Tomase.

Since when have the Patriots ever cared about something being public? They've been the "behind closed doors" type of team since Belichick has been here. With that in mind, why should the apology have been public? Mankins apologized to his face like a man. That should have been enough. ESPECIALLY with the amount of money they just invested into the franchise quarterback.

Last edited:

After seeing the Pats give Brady 19M per vs. Mankins' 7M when they are both part of an 11 man working unit and Brady has already made about 100 times as much as Mankins over the course of their careers, I'm actually a little surprised that Mankins even agreed to privately apologize to Kraft.

Are you really comparing the compensation levels of a HOF QB still in his prime to a top 5 guard?

And to many people, they think the apology is stupid, and either Mankins is stupid for not saying it or Kraft is stupid for wanting it. But this is about more than upgrading the guard spot on the 2010 Patriots. This has to do with their entire business, how they deal with long-term contracts, and who they choose to reward. By publicly rewarding someone who slagged them, they set an ugly precedent in the future for these types of situations.

Most fans think about today only, but Kraft and company are thinking big picture here. I have no problem with the request since Mankins and his agent went out of their way to rip on the organization every opportunity they had. I have no problem with wanting someone to apologize before I fork out $50+ million to them, especially if not doing so will make my life down the road even more complicated.

Is there an ignore function at this website? There are certain people I want to put on that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back