PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Public appology broke down Mankins deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Adam Schefter: Mankins almost resigned two weeks ago, but a public appology ended

(As a side note, I work in the business world, and ALOT of business decisions are made from personal feelings, right or wrong. )

Point taken although I believe if it's detrimental to future business deals then the line between personal and business becomes blurred.

*Again, this is if Schefter's report is accurate.

But since it comes down to he said, they said, the only way we're going to find out is if someone from the Pats talks about it.

But since it comes down to he said, they said, the only way we're going to find out is if someone from the Pats talks about it.

Given Schefter's track record, I'll trust that his report is accurate.

Is there any evidence that this is true? How do we know the agent isn't putting out this crap to the media to stir things up? Up to last week, I heard that the Pats were not even speaking to them.

It's sad, but I don't trust any Patriots news that doesn't come from Reiss anymore. Everybody bends the facts to fit the story these days.

Weird time to be arguing about this, and also kind of moot if it was "leaked" by Mankins' agent but,

1. after seeing Jahri Evans and the Saints' other guard pulverize Minnesota's defense, allowing a no-name RB to basically win the game for them on the ground, and

2. seeing that the only way the Pats are going to win squat this year is by giving Brady time in the pocket,

I would say that near-Jahari Evans money should probably by coughed up for a guard of Mankins' caliber. Just makes good business sense, emotional finger pointing and biatching aside.

Well, even then, it'll only be really 'verified' if both sides agree to the story. We've seen that same thing with the reports about the contract offer. Most of this affair has unfolded only through unsubstantiated reports and single sided comments. It could all be true, it could all be false.

Jonathan did just comment that while Schefter is a great reporter he isn't aware of exactly what was reported. What he could say is a few weeks ago Logan did call Robert and apologize for what he said because as Jonathan reiterated Robert never talked contract with Logan. He said that they have floated a number of contract proposals to Logan and his representative and none of them have met with their approval. He said that his tender remains on the table and he's a great player and they'd love to have him here. So in the end it could be that after apoligizing in private the numbers were still really not where they wanted them to be and hence this story breaks today... Maybe they asked if what they needed to do to get Evans money was apoligize in public, and someone suggested that might be at least what it took to get there...

Logan's such a fraud. He already said he would never play another down here months ago. Turns out for all his principles all he ever wanted was the money. How un unique...

The private apology should have been enough. Kraft was foolish in wanting this to go public. To be honest, that pretty much goes against the "Patriot Way". I thought New England didn't air their dirty laundry to the media and the public. I guess it's different when someone calls the owner a liar. If the guard play sucks today, Kraft will have just shot himself and the team in the foot.

What???

First you blame the Patriots for being "foolish in wanting this to go public." and not airing "their dirty laundry to the media and the public." How did the Patriots FO make this "go public"????

Then you take up for of the ONLY side that made this public in the first place! And state "I guess it's different when someone calls the owner a liar".

Kontra, you couldn't have gotten the situation more backwards if you tried.

Mankins and his agent have been constantly chirping to the press. mankins made the slander in the press which is the subject of the apology. Wait til you see who fed Schefter this nugget today. You think it was the Patriots???? LOL.

If Schefter is correct, this was an act of stupidity on the part of the Patriots organization.

Being the king of objectivity that you love to claim......You can't bash one side, and absolve the other.

Both sides are having a problem being professional. You really shouldn't be allowed to bash an owner publicly, and scoff when your asked to rebuke that statement after the owner, you know, took care of you. Like many have pointed out, and I now agree with, that shows personal accountability.

You might disagree with how the organization went about this, and I do, but Mankins deserves at least half of the blame pie for how unproffesionally he's handled this as well.

Weird time to be arguing about this, and also kind of moot if it was "leaked" by Mankins' agent but,

1. after seeing Jahri Evans and the Saints' other guard pulverize Minnesota's defense, allowing a no-name RB to basically win the game for them on the ground, and

2. seeing that the only way the Pats are going to win squat this year is by giving Brady time in the pocket,

I would say that near-Jahari Evans money should probably by coughed up for a guard of Mankins' caliber. Just makes good business sense, emotional finger pointing and biatching aside.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Mankins on the oline during superbowl XLII you know, the one that Brady spent much of on his butt?

Since when have the Patriots ever cared about something being public? They've been the "behind closed doors" type of team since Belichick has been here. With that in mind, why should the apology have been public? Mankins apologized to his face like a man. That should have been enough. ESPECIALLY with the amount of money they just invested into the franchise quarterback.

The slander was public!!!!

You think they would not have gone legal on the Herald if the herald issued a PRIVATE apology for the SB 42 libel???????

Honestly, you are missing the vital point of the issue.

Good for Kraft, he's not like that spineless major dad guy who coaches the Vikings.

Jonathan did just comment that while Schefter is a great reporter he isn't aware of exactly what was reported. What he could say is a few weeks ago Logan did call Robert and apologize for what he said because as Jonathan reiterated Robert never talked contract with Logan. He said that they have floated a number of contract proposals to Logan and his representative and none of them have met with their approval. He said that his tender remains on the table and he's a great player and they'd love to have him here. So in the end it could be that after apoligizing in private the numbers were still really not where they wanted them to be and hence this story breaks today... Maybe they asked if what they needed to do to get Evans money was apoligize in public, and someone suggested that might be at least what it took to get there...

Logan's such a fraud. He already said he would never play another down here months ago. Turns out for all his principles all he ever wanted was the money. How un unique...
Glad you reported this...as I hoped one would...IT looks MORE like all of this is from Mankin's an dhis agent..stirring the pot..causing MORE trouble....I agree a tOTAL fraud...time for him to go..leave..NEVER return!! He said he was NEVER playing another down here..so WHY is he calling Kraft?? Where's the big man's principles??? Probably buried up his backside...

What you saying is that a public statement by a player should disqualify him from being sought after as a player, after proving himself on the field for four seasons.

If the public statement is the reason that the patriots have not tried to sign Mankins recently, then shame on the organization for failing to act like the business folks that they are.

Personally, I think that the organization simply doesn't want to pay a guard to kind of guaranteed money that Mankins wants, or anywhere close to that amount. FOr all the bluster, no one knows how much guaranteed money Mankins was offered.

The slander was public!!!!

You think they would not have gone legal on the Herald if the herald issued a PRIVATE apology for the SB 42 libel???????

Honestly, you are missing the vital point of the issue.

Good for Kraft, he's not like that spineless major dad guy who coaches the Vikings.

What???

First you blame the Patriots for being "foolish in wanting this to go public." and not airing "their dirty laundry to the media and the public." How did the Patriots FO make this "go public"????

When you ask for a public apology, that would be the very definition of "going public". I'm not sure what you're confused about here.

Then you take up for of the ONLY side that made this public in the first place! And state "I guess it's different when someone calls the owner a liar".

The big selling point over the years when it comes to our relationship with the media is that, while players can go public with their disgust, the team did not. The big selling point has been that the team has always been better than that. It's been praised time and time again on this website. With that in mind, why would Kraft want to get down to Mankins' level? Aren't we, as an organization, supposed to be better than that?

Kontra, you couldn't have gotten the situation more backwards if you tried.

Mankins and his agent have been constantly chirping to the press. mankins made the slander in the press which is the subject of the apology. Wait til you see who fed Schefter this nugget today. You think it was the Patriots???? LOL.

The person that fed Schefter the nugget is pretty irrelevant. The part I'm not understanding is why a team that has generally ignored the media when it comes to their closed doors discussion would suddenly want one of their holdouts (not to mention, their Top 5 guard who is also in his prime) to go in front of the media and feed the ****storm. That just doesn't seem to be the "Patriot Way".

But, then again, I guess the Patriot Way is only good when it comes to the team ignoring the public barrage of guys like Deion Branch and Logan Mankins, but it doesn't apply when it comes to the team's owner... right?

Last edited:
Glad you reported this...as I hoped one would...IT looks MORE like all of this is from Mankin's an dhis agent..stirring the pot..causing MORE trouble....I agree a tOTAL fraud...time for him to go..leave..NEVER return!! He said he was NEVER playing another down here..so WHY is he calling Kraft?? Where's the big man's principles??? Probably buried up his backside...

Do ya think Deus and Kontra will understand your and Mo's posts?

Being the king of objectivity that you love to claim......You can't bash one side, and absolve the other.

Both sides are having a problem being professional. You really shouldn't be allowed to bash an owner publicly, and scoff when your asked to rebuke that statement after the owner, you know, took care of you. Like many have pointed out, and I now agree with, that shows personal accountability.

You might disagree with how the organization went about this, and I do, but Mankins deserves at least half of the blame pie for how unproffesionally he's handled this as well.

I've repeatedly noted that we don't know what's happened, and I've been clear about my positions from the beginning. People here like to forget about words like "if" in the posts of others, and they like to pretend that unrelated things are forever intertwined.

The Patriots being stupid for not bringing Mankins in over a 2nd apology, if Schefter's story is accurate, is a separate issue from who's right or wrong in the apology department.

Do ya think Deus and Kontra will understand your and Mo's posts?

Mo's posts are easy to understand. You just take whatever the Patriots public relations department memo would be on the issue, and you've got Mo's position.

When you ask for a public apology, that would be the very definition of "going public". I'm not sure what you're confused about here?
?

Mankins had ALREADY made it public by calling the owner a liar in the press!

What do you not understand about that?????

You actually believe that Kraft wanting him to CLOSE THE BOOK on his slander in the same place that HE OPENED it is "going public"???

You must think that the whole incident began at the meeting where they discussed the apology. Incredible.

Re: Adam Schefter: Mankins almost resigned two weeks ago, but a public appology ended

Are you really comparing the compensation levels of a HOF QB still in his prime to a top 5 guard?

And to many people, they think the apology is stupid, and either Mankins is stupid for not saying it or Kraft is stupid for wanting it. But this is about more than upgrading the guard spot on the 2010 Patriots. This has to do with their entire business, how they deal with long-term contracts, and who they choose to reward. By publicly rewarding someone who slagged them, they set an ugly precedent in the future for these types of situations.

Most fans think about today only, but Kraft and company are thinking big picture here. I have no problem with the request since Mankins and his agent went out of their way to rip on the organization every opportunity they had. I have no problem with wanting someone to apologize before I fork out $50+ million to them, especially if not doing so will make my life down the road even more complicated.

Do I think that Brady is 3X (or more) as valuable to the Pats as Mankins is? Yes in a heartbeat. Do I think that making Brady in effect bigger than the team by giving him the contract they did while ignoring Moss and pinching pennies with Mankins could to some degree be interpreted as going against the "Patriot Way?" Yes.

Look, I agree that a business owner might hesitate in giving a key employee a big payday after said employee has publicly ripped him in frustration over a raise. But I think that the "big picture" you're saying that Kraft is looking at here has as much to do with the impending league-wide labor situation as anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back