PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Public appology broke down Mankins deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Adam Schefter: Mankins almost resigned two weeks ago, but a public appology ended

Been with the Pats throughout this Mankins deal. I have to side with Mankins if this is true if the deal is about to be struck and apology to Kraft made there is no need to take it further. A leak to the media that he apologized would've accomplished addressing the public in a way. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

What do you suppose this Shefter story is, if not exactly that?

Last edited:
Re: Adam Schefter: Mankins almost resigned two weeks ago, but a public appology ended

Kraft should have sucked this one up, jeez.

It's not like anyone would take this seriously coming from Mankins and agent.

My lord, this is football for heaven's sake.

Is Kraft really so defensive that he thinks the public will question his integrity now?

The Pats could have even said that Mankins personally apologized to Kraft.

Makes me think that Belichick is probably shaking his head at the whole thing.

No, he apologized privately to Kraft but refused to do so publicly.

Screw Mankins. He insulted Kraft publicly, he should be man enough to apologize publicly. Hopefully Connolly keeps looking great and Mankins only has his pride to blame if the holdout impacts his career.

I would like to get Mankins signed but first off if its true and we were going to make him say sorry in public that was wrong, what ever was said to Bob Kraft behind closed doors was more than sufficent.

My other point is I dont want to sign him to a deal the same as Evens, you cant pay a guard that much, we are not talking about a left tackle here as good as he is thats a lot of money to tie up in a interior linemen and there will be a cap agin and that type of contract would eventually catch up to us.

I'll go on record here as believing that this is all coming from Mankins' agent. Kraft and the Patriot's front office rarely, if ever, comment on ongoing negotiations. I can't believe for one minute that this information, even if true, came from anyone in Kraft's office, of the Patriot's staff.

This is, IMHO. a stupid move by Mankins' agent that will likely backfire on him and Mankins both. I have said all along that I truly believe that Mankins is being poorly served by his agent, and this, to my mind, confirms that statement.

Mankins' agent is simply trying to stir up the pot, and by going to the press with this story has likely set up his client for a bad situation, and possibly no football for a year or more.

If I'm BB here I'm wicked pissed at my owner for not maning up and geting me the best player just over a perceived insult from a redneck. Again, assuming that the report is true.

Last edited:

I guess what the content of the public apology would be. Mankins did go public so he should say something in public in the form of an apology.

But if he's being asked to apologize for something that he never said or believes to be true, then I can understand if he does not want to say it.

If they are that close then they should be able to work out a public statement that satisfies both.

I just saw this too. Pisses me off. Both sides were so close to a deal and then we let apologies get in the way and Mankins lets his pride get in the way. Both sides are off base. Oh well, looks like he sits out this year.

Huh? We don't know exactly how all this went down, so it's all pure speculation. But no player with any ounce of self-respect is going to issue a PUBLIC apology to the team for something he said in the midst of a contract dispute.

A private apology to Kraft, along with Mankins' goofball agent stating something along the lines of "we had some communication issues that resulted in an unfortunate misunderstanding" should have been more than enough.

Not what I wanted to see before the game, ugh...

All I can think of is the Godfather quote "It's not personal, it's business".

I'm a little pissed at the organization for this. They made it personal. I thought they were more professional than that.

But overall,very petty by both sides indeed.

This has to be good news. It means Mankins is sorry, and he is available for negotiations.

I just saw this too. Pisses me off. Both sides were so close to a deal and then we let apologies get in the way and Mankins lets his pride get in the way. Both sides are off base. Oh well, looks like he sits out this year.

Wrong. The Pats are completely on base and handling this EXACTLY as they should and Mankins is AWOL again.

There is nowhere to go without a public apology, period. If Mankins gets away with insulting his organization than that will quickly become the league standard negotiating ploy of last resort.

Not going to happen.

If I'm BB here I'm wicked pissed at my owner for not maning up and geting me the best player just over a perceived insult from a redneck. Again, assuming that the report is true.

So you know FOR SURE that Kraft insisted on a public issued apology?

Mankins PUBLICLY smeared the owner of the New England Patriots. He needs to PUBLICLY apologize for that smear.
If Logie is incapable of such an act then he's not quite the "man of principle" his friends have been spinning.
Enjoy the game Logie. ;)

I'll go on record here as believing that this is all coming from Mankins' agent.

Any room for me on that record? Couldn'tagree more.

=================================================

Gee, he said he was sorry. Now you want your own personal apology?

I don't blame you for being pissed about the situation.

What should Mankins do to make this right.
Apologize publicly to the Krafts because he insulted their integrity publicly. Keep it all private or make it all public. You don't get to question someone's integrity publicly then not apologize publicly. Sorry you redneck aggie punk (Mankins, not Gunnails).

I used to work as a middleman between bondtraders in NYC. The motto was simple...customer was always right no matter what. We would eat big losses just because the customer told us too...often times in order to protect their asses from their bosses. Seems crazy right, but you go to bat for a customer, especially when it involves them maintaining their livelyhood, and you eventually own them and all their business.
My point, Mankins should give his boss what he wants...and more. Hell, apologize today, tomorrow, and every day...link yourself with Kraft this way and I'm telling you, Kraft will embrace him, maybe for a lifetime. Everyone feels good when they are directly involved in a "salvation"....and the "saviors" want to follow through.

So you know FOR SURE that Kraft insisted on a public issued apology?

Reading is fundamental.
Read my last sentence which I had also previously stated.

If it is as said then yes, Kraft is the one being petty here. I'm sorely disappointed if it's true.

well .he did call out kraft publicly so...everyone has an ego

I'm not arguing that Mankins isn't childish. I'm saying that Kraft has to be the grownup here and get it done. You just signed Brady to a huge contract. You're going to let a public apology prevent you from best utilizing your valuable asset? Foolhardy.

Mr. Kraft is not going to set a precedent that would be foolhardy to his business and that of every owner in the league. Not going to happen. Never was going to happen. Never will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes