PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Samuel won't report to minicamp; vows to holdout until week 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's the same thing, just reporting what i heard. They were more comparing when seymore was holding out he still showed up for the pats golf tourney (like yesterday) For the record they are on air now admitting it was a mistake....they thought they saw him and they didn't

I don't know why Samuel showing up to a charity golf tournament has anything to do with anything. Usually these guys make commitments to be at these things months before the event. So Samuel probably didn't know he would be as upset with his situation when he agreed to it.

Also, that tournament was for charity. Samuel would have to be a cold hearted bastard to avoid a charity event just because he is pissed off he isn't getting what he wanted for a contract. Deion Branch showed up for a charity event in the middle of all his problems too.

Asante's within his rights to take this approach - he'd be stupid not to... but the Pats shoud make an example and make clear they won't be trading him or otherwise giving into any "demands" he makes.

As far as agreements not to franchise next year, both sides should refrain from public posturing on that issue. If there's to be an understanding it shouldn't be public notice or the result of threats.

But if Asante really does refuse to report until week 10 the Pats should publically declare that he will be franchised next year - and the year after if the same thing keeps happening.

It's tough love but the only way we will dissuade players from playing this game in the future. As the players know its a business but this is a game of "chicken" and the Organization can't be the one to back down.

Last edited:
Is this a case of a rookie agent trying to make a name for himself, and giving his client bad advise to further his own cause? It just doesn't make any sense to hold out and not take the 7+money for this year, and look for the big contract next year.
Perhaps the bottom line is that they've determined that last years performance was the best that AS could do.
BINGO!! When players do this to me its a BIG RED FLAG that says.."This is the best I can do and I am going to grab it all with that year"...Shame on any stupid team paying him the big bucks..they will be quite disappointed..

This is a laughable threat. Asante is all about the cash. There is no way he walks away from $5M.

Asante should never have gotten his "get paid" tatoo.

Its possible to believe that Lance Briggs would throw away millions of dollars out of principle.

It is impossible to believe that Asante will ever do anything other than maximize his take home pay. Unfortunately for Asante, that means reporting to camp during week one.

Fortunately for Asante, he's not actually good enough for the Patriots to care. The Patriots will do the math, and figure out that Asante is worth more to the team as trade bait, than on the field.

That's what so many said about Branch - he'll never hold out, we have all the leverage, who needs him anyway...

If Asante were crap then Belioli would be idiots for not only franchising him (and apparently with no intention of trading him or they would have shopped him pre draft) but for offering him a long term deal at $6M per...

I doubt the Pat's would wait for him until week 10 because of the distraction factor and because they tend to favor moving on. That said, championships are generally won in December and January, not September and October. And DB's drop like rocks here in the early going. In hindsight Deion would have look pretty damn fine coming in off the bench last November and likely represented far better value than a first round pick in a draft where we deferred or traded away most of our day one picks because in the 2007 draft they didn't represent good value.

Holding out until week 10 is code for if I don't get a long term deal I like I better get something like a promise I will not be franchised in back to back seasons. Couldn't do it for Deion because he wasn't there yet and was holding out while under contract. This is different, and this is how you get a franchise tagged player into camp if you a. need him, b. can't trade him for value that exceeds your current need for him, c. want to take a year to continue mutually evaluating each other contract demand/performance wise or d. realize he's gone one way or another going forward and the best you can hope for from the tag is one additional season of service albeit at a premium. In a season in which you have already invested a lot to insure you don't come up one play or one stop or one minute short of an eminently achievable goal.

There is little they can do about this as both the player and the team are well within their rights to do this dance under the CBA. Attempting to somehow punish him for exercising his rights would do nothing but sour relations with the other 52 who are likely a leaning a little more towards a management whose judgement in these matters the core leaders clearly respect because of both the astronomical demands they see a "very good" player making for the second off season in a row - demands they know do less to fuel their next deal with this team so much as make their ability to get any deal here going forward more difficult and make it far more likely they end up reluctantly moving on even if they planned to be far more reasonable in hopes of remaining here. And because of their excitement at the caliber of roster they have seen proactively assembled in this off season.

Deion had to go because he would not talk deal even after they basically told him they were ready to cave. And because they totally misjudged his resolve and the emotional upheaval his continued absence would cause. And because they developed real issues with his novice agent. Asante is not in the same position, albeit he plays a more highly coveted position league wide. He is well liked, but has always been somewhat of a loner and not nearly as gregarious or ever present as our grinning WR was. And his agent is a veteran they have worked well with in the past and have a functional relationship with.

And as for those who dream of trades including potential upgrades at the position, that's like baseball fans who always want to trade their junk for another teams treasure. If we do trade him and a player is involved, any draft compensation will be reduced accordingly. Unless we're swapping our problem for someone elses, in which case their might be none.

My bet is they do the one year deal with the no tag provision a week or so into camp. Though if for some reason he refuses, then they openly shop him at a time when other teams realize, due to injury or poor performance, that they have a dire need for a corner. What we get for him then depends on the number of teams with dire need, because you need at least two to fuel both his market and trade his value.

I don't know why Samuel showing up to a charity golf tournament has anything to do with anything. Usually these guys make commitments to be at these things months before the event. So Samuel probably didn't know he would be as upset with his situation when he agreed to it.

Also, that tournament was for charity. Samuel would have to be a cold hearted bastard to avoid a charity event just because he is pissed off he isn't getting what he wanted for a contract. Deion Branch showed up for a charity event in the middle of all his problems too.
Maybe Deion showed up at some charity event..but he was not at the golf tournament last year..which was the reason many saw him as the cold hearted person he was...Why was that particular event important? beacuse the team raises enough money from that event for the year's budget. So it is very important for the team. Deion wasn't there but MAY have been ayt some other event.

Does anyone think that Asante whining that getting paid 8 million for one year is "unfair" seem ridicolous particularly considering a few days ago they buried a teammate, a 24 year old kid. Jeezus H. Have some f**king perspective on life Asante before you start throwing yourself a pity-party.

He, Ty Law and Deion Branch should have their own Bill Cosby hosted TV show, "Disgruntled-Pats players say the darndest things."

Last edited:
7.79 mil is sweet, but also didn't BLY get 5 years for 33 mil? so why not tender Samuel 3 years for 22 mil? more than Bly and close to clements money? JMO...
They tried some short offers like that to Deion too. It's a great solution, we get the player for a few more years and he gets to be a UFA again while still in his prime - much like the deal Seymour took.

I'm not even thinking about this now. I'm so excited about mini camp and all the new players. Asante should get his ass into camp but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Asante's within his rights to take this approach - he'd be stupid not to... but the Pats shoud make an example and make clear they won't be trading him or otherwise giving into any "demands" he makes.

As far as agreements not to franchise next year, both sides should refrain from public posturing on that issue. If there's to be an understanding it shouldn't be public notice or the result of threats.

But if Asante really does refuse to report until week 10 the Pats should publically declare that he will be franchised next year - and the year after if the same thing keeps happening.

It's tough love but the only way we will dissuade players from playing this game in the future. As the players know its a business but this is a game of "chicken" and the Organization can't be the one to back down.
I agree the Pats have to take a hard stand on this..but I am wondering what would happen if they dumped him..cut the tag at some point. If he hasn't signed the tag..refused to play..by a few weeks into the season and the backfield is strong..Granted the bar now starts at the Franchise tag and only goes upward in negotiations..but without the bar would AS get the amount he wants?? Or might he get a rude awakening..with a much lower contract offered???

Why in the hell are we worried about Asante Samuel on the 5th

of June? At least wait until July 15th to get upset. I can't

believe that he and his agent will flush 5 million dollars down the

toilet to prove a point. The trouble is that the media counts noses

at mini-camp and contacts Asante and his agent to stir things up.

This situation will resolve itself (good or bad) in the late hours of

the night on July 14th. Even then, the odds are Asante will show up for

the start of the season. Talking about forfeiting millions of dollars is different

than actually doing it.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to figure out what is so bad about Samuel coming back in week 10 and being up to snuff for the playoffs. I don't think the Patriots need Samuel to make it into the playoffs and it's unclear how critical he would be in order to get one of the top 2 seeds. But I think there's a significant advantage of having a top corner come in at week 10 and strengthen the team. Is this so crazy a way to view it?

Seymour's situation was totally different.

It is completely different. Seymour was under contract to the Patriots and staged a hold out in violation of his contract.

Asante Samuel is not under contract and is not holding out.

Aaaaaa-hooooooooollllllllle!

It is indeed a crazy way to look at it. Samuel would come to the team in week 10, having not even practiced with the team all year. It is very unlikely that he would be in game shape. His workouts will have been limited. He certainly wouldn't want to risk injury while not being under contract. I would think that it would be unlikely that the team would even make him active.

I'm still trying to figure out what is so bad about Samuel coming back in week 10 and being up to snuff for the playoffs. I don't think the Patriots need Samuel to make it into the playoffs and it's unclear how critical he would be in order to get one of the top 2 seeds. But I think there's a significant advantage of having a top corner come in at week 10 and strengthen the team. Is this so crazy a way to view it?

Am I crazy or is Asante holding out until week 10 pretty much the best possible scenario for the Pats?

I mean, we have a bunch of young secondary players that we need to get a look at anyway (esp. Meriweather), including a few that will be free-agents next year (Wilson, Gay).

These guys now have 9 weeks to show us what they got. And if one of them can't cut it or gets hurt we have a safety blanket in Asante coming back just in time to get ready for the playoffs.

And we only need to pay him ~$3.5M!

Why is it that people think that a player can miss all of training camp and 10 weeks of a season (roughly 17 weeks worth of practices and games) and then just show up and be effective? I don't know of a single player who has held out into the season and either not gotten injured or not played up to par. Is Samuel such a fantastic talent that he doesn't need the 17 weeks of practice and experience to be effective?

Sorry, I don't buy it. I think that if Asante holds out and comes back in week 10, that he won't be game ready and he will be WORSE than anyone on the field at the time and that he'd be really lucky to be game ready by the time the play-offs rolled around.

Why in the hell are we worried about Asante Samuel on the 5th of June? At least wait until July 15th to get upset.

My question is this, can ANYTHING really happen after July 15th? My understanding is that NO other contract other than the actual existing franchise tender can be signed after that deadline. This means that even offering not to franchise him again in 08 would have to be finalized before that deadline since it is technically a different contract.

So does that mean once we pass the July 15th deadline, this issue is officially done? Would a trade at that point even be possible under the CBA after that date? I'm sure you could trade him, but I mean, could the new team offer him a long term deal at that point under the CBA or would he still be locked into the tender offer to the Pats until the end of the year? And if that's the case, no trade could happen because Assante still wouldn't get his long term deal from the new team.

This is important because a big part of Assante's only leverage is how much a "distraction" he can be to the team. Branch clearly leveraged that more than anything else to at least work a trade. But in mid July, how much of a distraction can you really be? And if he waits until after that, won't it be too late for the Pats to even TRY to do anything for him if they wanted to?

If the July 15 date really is the end, then all he can do is sit out for spite after that point passes.

Anyone know what possible options he would have as far as getting traded and then immediately reworking a deal with his new team?

My question is this, can ANYTHING really happen after July 15th? My understanding is that NO other contract other than the actual existing franchise tender can be signed after that deadline. This means that even offering not to franchise him again in 08 would have to be finalized before that deadline since it is technically a different contract.

This is not entirely true. After July 15th, only a ONE YEAR DEAL can be signed by Asante with the team that Franchised him. He can still sign a long term deal with another team, though. Also, what you said about agreeing to not franchise Samuel is an incorrect assumption.

So does that mean once we pass the July 15th deadline, this issue is officially done? Would a trade at that point even be possible under the CBA after that date? I'm sure you could trade him, but I mean, could the new team offer him a long term deal at that point under the CBA or would he still be locked into the tender offer to the Pats until the end of the year? And if that's the case, no trade could happen because Assante still wouldn't get his long term deal from the new team.

Asante can sign a long term deal with another team after July 15th. Just not with the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes