PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Samuel won't report to minicamp; vows to holdout until week 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ultimately it won't be terrible, it just won't be good enough unless we plan on winning the SB with offense.

Maybe not, but you certainly can't know that. The Patriots won the Superbowl after losing both their starting cornerbacks for gods sake. As long as the safety position is stable (particularly Harrison), I think we could deal with it. If not, then we would be in trouble.

But hopefully the Patriots will know better how to deal with this after the Branch situation last year.

Last edited:
But hopefully the Patriots will know better how to deal with this after the Branch situation last year.

Though we have disagreed on taking this stuff becoming personal (IMO, it is just the money), I agree with you on this. The Pats aren't dumb, and they left themselves in much better position to cover for a Samuel holdout than they did with Branch last year.

The Pats have options to cover for Samuel. By drafting Meriweather, who has good coverage skills, they have another cover player plus have the option of sliding Eugene Wilson down to CB. Additionally, Randall Gay is back and they signed a veteran option in Tory James. Plus having a healthy Rodney Harrison provides leadership that makes everyone back there better.

That isn't bad insurance. Samuel is a very good player, but the Pats can still win without him. They are much better prepared to handle a holdout in this circumstance, and Samuel might find the Pats more willing to take a hardline stance on this one.

Last edited:
Where is Earthwind these days?

At this point I think it stands exactly where the Patriots months ago (probably after the very first exchange of contract numbers) expected it would.

winfield seems unhappy in Minnesota. Trade straight up?

I really can't get all worked up about this. Asante is making a big mistake talking threats to the press - just STFU.

Having said that, I'm very confident that he will show the week or two before the first game. He's not stupid, although taking to the press right now is kinda dumb, and will not lose $450,000 per game. That's $4,500,000 for 10 games that he'll never get back.

What a d-bag! Why can't the Pats offer him the 8-mill this year and he plays under the tag, with a promise that they will release him next season. Wouldn't that be a win-win. Why the heck in today's day and age is compromise never an option. Politics, real estate, laws, contracts, taxes you name it there is never any middle ground anymore.

Always something with this team nowadays. This will be a big hit since he knows and can play very well in the defensive system.

Ticked me off.

Let him rot.

He'll be back week 10, so we'll have him fresh for the playoffs. No biggie. Also remember his future will be riding on his performance for those last (hopefully) 9-10 weeks.

Why can't the Pats offer him the 8-mill this year and he plays under the tag, with a promise that they will release him next season. Wouldn't that be a win-win.
The Patriots wouldn't do that for Branch, I assume they won't do it for Samuel either.

How much is Ty Law getting paid this year? Maybe trade him to KC for Law and a second round draft pick???

He'll be back week 10, so we'll have him fresh for the playoffs. No biggie. Also remember his future will be riding on his performance for those last (hopefully) 9-10 weeks.
If we could deal with the distraction that's a viable option. While I'm OK with getting Meriweather for Branch, getting Branch back Week 11 wouldn't have been so bad.

The added bonus to this is if Samuel sits out 10 games, that's $5.6M (or thereabouts) that can be moved via NLTBE bonuses to others into next year. We would get Samuel for the end of the regular season and playoffs, likely add to our 2008 cap available money and still be able to franchise and trade Samuel in 10 months if we choose.

i dont think he is worth all the $$ he wants now, one good season is not enough for me, and the pats it looks like. i say trade him and get another pick.

Re: Samuel won't report to minicamp; feels mistreated

Sounds awfully familiar, right, Deion?

Not even close. Branch was under contract, and broke it. Asante is under no obligation to participate in mini camp, games, or any event for the Patriots. He is a free agent. He's not doing anything wrong or against the spirit of the rules.

Terrence Newman for Assante Samuel done deal with smiles on the pats end. No joke I love assante but Newman is the next champ bailey that is an easy trade. I love assante but if he is wanting champ money then sianara nice knowing you. When he sucks for some other team with mediocre D-line we will be laughing all the way to the bank. Secondary is overrated in NFL.

Unfortunately...SO DOES DALLAS. So that deal is never going to happen.

What a d-bag! Why can't the Pats offer him the 8-mill this year and he plays under the tag, with a promise that they will release him next season. Wouldn't that be a win-win. Why the heck in today's day and age is compromise never an option.

Do you have any knowledge that the Patriots have made him that offer?

Doing exaclty that is very likely to be the resolution to this issue but there is so no motivation for the Pats to do it at this point and by all accounts I have read they haven't.

As I said in another thread, what seems to be lost here is the fact that any trade scenerio is really in Samuel's control. RIght now, he is technically still a FA. As was mentioned in an earlier post, if there are teams that want to play him as much as he demands, show the Pats the deal and let the negotiations begin. HOWEVER there hasn't been a SINGLE reported offer to Samuel or his agents.

BTW- IF he is serious about sitting out a year, it would rank among the most stupid acts by an athlete in history. He would never recover the $8MM he lost, plus he'd lose much of his marketability. Do you really think there is a team out there who would invest 60-80MM in a player who had one great year, hasn't played in close to 2 years...AND has proven that if he isn't happy with you, he'll withhold services???? I DON'T THINK SO.

No, the Pats have all the leverage here. I think this is a desperate shot in the dark by a guy who is using all his bullets. I don't blame him, but it isn't going to change the situation. He is NOT going to get a Clements like deal from the Pats, NOR is going to get it from anyone else. All that is left is a vain attempt to "shoot" his way out of town like Branch did.

Like others have said. As of now the Pats should just treat him like a guy with an injury that might make him available in week 10 or perhaps never, and FORGET ABOUT IT AND MOVE ON and not comment on it again.

The Pats have made him 2 very fair offers in long and short term deals. They may not be the best offers he could have gotten, but they aren't for chump change either. The ball is in HIS court, let him do what he wants.

BTW- a trade for Winfield is an interesting thought. Winfield's contract is in the Dre Bly level, and I think the big issue for him is about Minnesota's changes to win a superbowl. I bet he'd LOVE to come here, however I have no idea about he skill level at this point. It might be worth looking into. Given their respective ages, I might be willing to give them Samuel for Winfield and a #2 next year.

Last edited:
Seymour's situation was totally different. Seymour did everything under the radar and he wasn't looking to break the bank before he came to camp. He just wanted at least a token of the Patriots' appreciation for what he did. By all accounts, the Patriots have given Samuel an attractive package, but just not close to Nate Clements range.

I don't think it's the same thing, just reporting what i heard. They were more comparing when seymore was holding out he still showed up for the pats golf tourney (like yesterday) For the record they are on air now admitting it was a mistake....they thought they saw him and they didn't

I wonder if anyone at all even has enough money to cover what Asante wants anymore....most are just looking to pick up the scraps that other teams don't want anymore at bargain basement prices....

The Pats aren't negotiating about Asante about their own money. They always spend to the cap, as do all the other teams. Rather, they're negotiating about money that would otherwise go to his teammates.

Given that, I wish he'd lose the whiny attitude.

What's more, I'm sure his teammates don't 100% appreciate the attitude either. There are VERY few guys on the team who are paid as much as the Pats offered Samuel. And they all took a very different approach to negotiations than he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes