PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Samuel won't report to minicamp; vows to holdout until week 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very disturbing. This wouldn't be that big of a deal, except for the fact that we'll undoubtably be ravaged by injuries in the secondary again this year (like most others) and there will be one less quality depth guy.

Paging Earthwind Moreland. Earthwind Moreland please pick up the white courtesy phone.....

I think the saddest thing is that the Globe story says that the last real contract discussions between Asante and the team happened last month, as in just before rookie mini-camp, the death of Marquise Hill and the memorial service for Marquise Hill. I mean the team obviously should have taken that time to slap another million down on the table for Asante. :rolleyes:

Gets 0 sympathy from me, he had one very good season, now there is 7.79 million on the table.. play this year like you did last year and he will be rewarded handsomely, the Pats will probably cut their losses soon and move on.

if he doesnt report you can look at it this way, samuel came to camp and blew his knee out, we move on, or you can look at it we lost samuel and graham in free agency and we sign everyone we did , ill take that, we are really not that bad, gay, possibly wilson, and i think james is servicable, scott has never embarresd himself either merrweather can play corner to, what the patriots cant do is to give him a crazy contract and then he goes back playing like his first 3 years, this is make or break year if he plays at a high level hell deserve the money, but i think its a big gamble after one above average year especially the crazy money hes talking, let him sit

My thoughts exactly ! End the madness here, unfortunately the media here wont stop talking about this until we are all standing on a bridge somewhere!!!! Here we go ...........................

On the good side:

IF he sits out 10 weeks, he would be here for the playoffs healthy and fresh, plus someone else gets experience. Kind of a new method of shadow rostering.

Then play the game again next year with the probable exception of a lessor value trade...

1. The guy is a jerk for not going to Marquise Hill's funeral with the team.Thta should not have been about money.

2. NO team will trade a first round draft pick for this guy. A second is the best they will get.

3. He is a goo/very good CB certainly NOT a great CB and shold not be paid like that.

4. Patriots need to hold firm on this one after the Branch situation.

5. Let him hold out...and refranchise him again next year.

Well, if he gets traded, our secondary will suffer early on, probably show some promise around December but ultimately will fail us in the playoffs.

Yawn. Much like Branch a year ago, this is a non-story until late in training camp.

All Asante said is exactly what he has to say in this situation. If he says that he's going to sign the one year tender and play the full season, then he loses the little negotiating leverage he has.

The likely outcome is the same today as it was yesterday - the Pats and Samuel come to a verbal agreement during camp that he will sign and play under the tender and they will not franchise him the next year.

Samuel is way overrated. Look at his year. It wasn't nearly as great as his 10 INTs sugguests. First, he started the year as our #2 CB. Hobbs covered Lee Evans, Javon Walker (except for that 80 yard TD pass that Samuel and I think it was Chad Scott gave up), and Coles. It wasn't until Hobbs broke his wrist did Samuel move into the left CB spot. I wouldn't be surprised if Hobbs won that spot back outright even if Samuel shows up to camp.

Second, Samuel gave up a lot of big plays. Even against Chicago where he got three INTs, he gave up just as many big plays to Berrian. Why do you think Grossman kept throwing it in his direction eventhough he got a couple of INTs. As I stated he gave up the back breaking TD pass in the Broncos game. There were other games he gave up big plays.

Third, the guy was considered average at best as late as midseason last year. Anyone who talked about him getting franchised around November of last year were ridiculed. More people thought the franchise tag was better suited to be used on Daniel Graham. Somewhere in late December he went from an average player to a shutdown CB. I don't think you can trust a player who has an abnormally great career year in a contract year.

I don't want to trade for Briggs. He is a 4-3, Cover 2 LB. I think he would do horribly transitioning to our defense. The Cover 2 is based on small fast LBs. Our defense is built on bigger, stronger, and smarter LBs. I feel Belichick would rather find a smaller DE and convert him to a LB than get a Cover 2 LB and plug him into our system. I can't see Briggs being nearly as good in our defense as he was in Chicago. But I would take a first rounder for Briggs in a hearbeat.
I have to TOTALLY agree here...it was a great HALF of a season and post season...but to make out like he started early playing great is a change of history. As was said, the franchise tag was talked about MORE for Graham than him.

Last edited:
My question has to do with the Patriots pulling the franchise tag....What if anything is the difference (besides the timing of it all) between them pulling that tag in preseason or during the first 10 games?? Is there any difference salary cap wise or in any other financial way to the team? Granted that at that point As would be a free agent, but if they are OK without him would they do that? I would think they would trade first and get value but in eitehr case..Asante sitting out OR trading him..what would happen to the money that is now bundled with the franchise tag??
I know if he held out he could not be fined..and he is NOT paid for those weeks...What happens to that money?? Part of his franchise money not paid because he is not playing? Does that count toward the cap?? Are there other actions they could take if he reported in week 10?? (and I am assuming by reporting he would HAVE to sign the franchise tag..no??) Could they place him on IR or some other reserve list?? A non football injury related list?
Just curious about that.
It seems that theis whole franchise tag deal is really NOT doing what it is supposed to..players will just sit out and demand more...which in his case is a real stretch.

I REALLY hope they let him sit until week 10. Samuel is a moron for leaving 8 million dollars on the table. Enough is enough with these holdouts. I see no reason to do anything with him. Let him twiddle his thumbs for all that time. Then franchise him again next year. But if he holds out does his money count against the cap? That would be the only reason in my mind to trade him. Otherwise don't make a move.

Re: poor samuel, he feels mistreated..wont report

Not every player, of course. I don't think you were under that impression at all. I think you are just trying to be a jerk. (And succeeding.)

Players that want to play for a winning team and have a shot at the SB want to come here. Players who care more about money than football go to loser teams.

The Pats aren't the only team to lose money-first players, nor are they the only team to hold the line at spending outrageous money for great but not outstanding players. Add to the list the Colts, Steelers, and Eagles. Compare the winning record of these teams plus the Pats over the last 5-6 years to the rest of the league.

Of course the tune changes now to fit your song! Seriously, I thought everyone wanted to play for the Pats. I was told by many Pats fans that the organization has some sort of magic hold on players, weird.

Re: poor samuel, he feels mistreated..wont report

I'd take Detroit's #2 in 2008 and 2009 in a second.

If I was Millen I would see this as a way out for all the people who will be wondering and joking about which WR Millen would draft in the 1st round....but despite that having all those round 1s would be a cap nightmare, especially if they are high picks......

2 years ago the Pats blinked and signed Seymour long term to keep out of a holdout (especially at that position). Im sure that had something to do with Branch's agents thinking, but the Pats didnt want to set a president (or however you spell it) so they didnt blink for Branch, but they did trade him so in essence brnach got what he wanted (more money).....now Im sure that has something to do with Samuel who never has really shown a strong desire to stay in NE...just to get paid..so he is thinking they will just trade him, but I dont see the Pats blinking at all with this one....they are gonna have to go the distance with Samuel, which will only hurt him since there are already whispers of a one season contract year performance. So in short I see no trade for Samuel on principal and the need to stop with setting presidences for following years, especially with 2 of the 3 starting D-lineman contracts expiring soon.

I REALLY hope they let him sit until week 10. Samuel is a moron for leaving 8 million dollars on the table. Enough is enough with these holdouts. I see no reason to do anything with him. Let him twiddle his thumbs for all that time. Then franchise him again next year. But if he holds out does his money count against the cap? That would be the only reason in my mind to trade him. Otherwise don't make a move.

I think if he doesnt sign that tag then the money is free for the pats to do with what they want...as said before he is technically a free agent right now, but it would be costly for others to go after him....

I think the saddest thing is that the Globe story says that the last real contract discussions between Asante and the team happened last month, as in just before rookie mini-camp, the death of Marquise Hill and the memorial service for Marquise Hill. I mean the team obviously should have taken that time to slap another million down on the table for Asante. :rolleyes:

Asante wants 3 MILLION MORE! not 1.....ridiculous

Well, if he gets traded, our secondary will suffer early on, probably show some promise around December but ultimately will fail us in the playoffs.

This might sound stupid but even with him gone....the secondary will not be terrible, certainly better than the colts secondary, and I think with the weapons we have now we can score enough points to negate other clubs now being able to look to the left side of the field...hell, with thomas QBs might not have enough time to look at the whole field.

Is this a case of a rookie agent trying to make a name for himself, and giving his client bad advise to further his own cause? It just doesn't make any sense to hold out and not take the 7+money for this year, and look for the big contract next year.
Perhaps the bottom line is that they've determined that last years performance was the best that AS could do.

After blaming the agent last year giving Branch bad advice then finding out it was Branch all along I'm done blaming agents. These are grown men, if Asante wants to sit out that's his choice, trade him or get what you can after week ten out of him.

If they do trade him, I will say this. They need to get a starting caliber cornerbcak out of the deal, not just a draft pick. An idea would be to trade him and our first round pick (not San Fransisco's) for Carlos Rogers and the Redskin's first round pick.

Apparently the Redskins are trying to unload Shawn Springs because he is always injured and has a fat contract, which is why I wnat nothing to do with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News