PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Samuel won't report to minicamp; vows to holdout until week 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized it has been four years since we have gone into training camp with out a holdout. First Watson, then Seymour, then Branch, and now Samuel. It is getting really tiring.

Last edited:
It seems like just about every year we have a contract situation while not exactly alike with the each one they all amount to the player wanting more money that BBioli want to pay in one way or an other. I guess I'm getting immune to it because I feel like whatever happens
happens. I don't really care whether they work out a deal or he ends up with another team. As long as it comes out well for the team, it's likely to hapopen every year. So either get used to it or get ulcers -:) It's part of my not getting attached to players anymore. What anyone may
feel about of he should feel it's enough money or not doesn't really matter. It's what he thinks that matters, like it or not.

Truthseeker - To my knowledge, no player who has held out into the season has been able to come in and be successful. Most have gotten hurt because they are not in game shape. So, if you know of a player who has been successful during the season, after holding out, please let everyone know.

I don't think many hold out because it truly is a lose lose situation. Most end up reaching an accommodation with their employer which can involve either a trade or an agreement not to be tagged again. I read somewhere there have not been all that many tagged players in recent years, usually just a couple a season, because of cap constraints. Things have changed, at least temporarily, on that front. Which is why teams are franchise tagging non franchise caliber players. But what would be the difference in a player coming off PUP for example, or returning from a prior season ending injury in September without benefit of a full camp?

Seems folks often have grandiose expectations for them and are prepared to award a mulligan if they can't immediately light it up. Should we just be writing them off? Javon Walker anyone? And he was transitioning to a new team to boot. And Bob Sanders says hi - without even practicticing game weeks he can ruin an opponents best laid playoff plans almost at will...

I don't see the difference - except since they weren't injured they might just come back quicker than a guy who missed camp due to injury.

The real problem with the week 10 scenario is a team can get hung up on waiting for the returning starter, or the team management can feel compelled to cut off it's nose to spite it's face to teach somebody some sort of lesson.

I think the leverage Asante obviously feels is he believes Bill isn't about that, and that he will avoid the distraction by decisively moving on - as he did with Deion or supposedly did (though not in writing supposedly promising not to franchise him again) with Adam. Remember, this is still the guy who ignored the trade for the future value mantra and ended up unceremoniously cutting one of his core (and all time favorite not to mention pro bowl) players on the eve of a season and told his team to move on. As the stunned player yet moved on to a new big contract even in a cap strapped era. Bill doesn't always need to get value for a player beyond the value of getting him on the field or out of the equation.

In the end, probably in mid August, he will do with Asante what he thinks is best for THIS team.

From the AP, more quotes of note...
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1004965
"I don’t think we’re looking at him coming back or not coming back," fullback Heath Evans said. "If the focus from the team is on that, it’s just going to cause you to stumble in some way. So the focus is on the guys that are here."
-----
Ellis Hobbs, the other starting cornerback, agreed.

"You’ve just got to block it out, man," he said. "It has nothing to do with me. It has nothing to do with my teammates. That’s between the club, the organization and Asante."

Re: poor samuel, he feels mistreated..wont report

Actually, there's a noticeable trend that you can see... Players without rings want to come here. Players with rings want to leave and pursue greener pastures elsewhere.

Trade him for Champ Bailey then... I already know the answer to that one though.

It seems like just about every year we have a contract situation while not exactly alike with the each one they all amount to the player wanting more money that BBioli want to pay in one way or an other. I guess I'm getting immune to it because I feel like whatever happens
happens. I don't really care whether they work out a deal or he ends up with another team. As long as it comes out well for the team, it's likely to hapopen every year. So either get used to it or get ulcers -:) It's part of my not getting attached to players anymore. What anyone may
feel about of he should feel it's enough money or not doesn't really matter. It's what he thinks that matters, like it or not.

Yeah, it's getting to be a regular yearly thing.

As long as someone steps up big time... or the front office picks up someone that will replace the player before him; it will be OK...

I forgot who posted it but someone said we should trade him to Dallas for T Newman that would be awesome. back to reality though I don't think Pats will pay him big money because we can't pay every player on the team big money and I do not think the defensive philosophy requires standout corners it emphasizes linebackers and D lineman. I say keep the money for resigning warren who will probably make the probowl this year. We won a superbowl without Ty Law, I just think BB can coach up decent corners and they will excell with the front seven we have generating pressure on opposing qbs

I really don't like players like this as much. I prefer players that are Franchise players, and will stay on a team.(i.e. Brady, Brown, Favre, Manning) I am not too fond of manning, but at least he is a Franchise player, and doesn't want to leave Indy. I really respect those type of players.

And I don't know why you persist in insulting his work ethic, which BB lauds, or Belioli's intelligence since they wouldn't offer a $6M per long term deal (which likely includes a double digit signing/option bonus and guarantees at minimum) or a $7.8M guaranteed 2007 salary to a guy they feel only gives his all in contract seasons.

1. Asante Samuel has NEVER performed well in a non-contract year. He has been outspoken about wanting his money and playing extra hard during last season when each additional interception mean extra money in his eyes. If you don't like people saying that Asante plays harder when he is in a contract year, get over it, because he does.

2. I have never cast aspersions on BB's intelligence. Whenever something goes wrong and BB appears to be at fault, it is axiomatically actually the fault of somebody else. Pioli gets nearly the same treatment except for his office's screw up with the Punter's waiver.

3. BB is offering Asante $7.8M to play one additional contract year. He is offering substantially less as part of a long term deal which (according to Asante) offers very little money in the form of guarantees. It cetrtainly _looks_ like BB doubts Asante's commitment during non-contract years.

Outside of trading him, do the pats just have to accept him back on week10? Is there any option to deactivate him for the year where they could still franchise him the next year because he does not get the year of service?

I understand where Assante is coming from and it is his option to use all the tools available to maximize his salary, but I think it is time for the Pats to set an example. He is a good player and we certainly need him, but we can't go through these holdouts year after year.

1. Asante Samuel has NEVER performed well in a non-contract year. He has been outspoken about wanting his money and playing extra hard during last season when each additional interception mean extra money in his eyes. If you don't like people saying that Asante plays harder when he is in a contract year, get over it, because he does.

2. I have never cast aspersions on BB's intelligence. Whenever something goes wrong and BB appears to be at fault, it is axiomatically actually the fault of somebody else. Pioli gets nearly the same treatment except for his office's screw up with the Punter's waiver.

3. BB is offering Asante $7.8M to play one additional contract year. He is offering substantially less as part of a long term deal which (according to Asante) offers very little money in the form of guarantees. It cetrtainly _looks_ like BB doubts Asante's commitment during non-contract years.

Lets just say that the deal was an average of 6 million per year for Samuel. That is a 23% decreas for one year in exchange for 4 other years in which Samuel would get another 24 million.

As for what Asante says the deal offers, players lie. We've seen it from Law. We saw if from McGinest. They say only what is in their best interest.

If the Pats offered Samuel a 10 million signing bonus, that means his pay would be 10 million this year, and 4 million each of the next 5. Ahhh.. poor baby...

Samuel should STFU and if he wants more money, write it into the contract as LTBE incentives. And make sure they go into effect each year. That way his contract may start smaller than he likes, but he gets more money if he performs. Imagince that. Incentive based pay....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes