PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Thoughts on Asante

Wasn't Tebucky tagged as a safety,which has one of the lowest tender's.I believe it's below TE's,isn't
it???

You have to look at it in context though as well. Tebucky was tagged when we were flat out up against the cap and his $3M tag represented 4% of it back then. Asante has been tagged when we are relatively cap flush but his $7.8M tag represents 4.5% of it.

When we tagged Tebucky we didn't yet know we could sign Rodney Harrison or draft Eugene Wilson, though we probably feared we might well end up cutting Lawyer Milloy. Had we as fans known at the time Tebucky was tagged we'd be starting an aging veteran FA his former team thought was done at SS along side a rookie who played CB in college 6 months earlier at FS, I bet most wouldn't have given us an icebergs chance in hell in of winning 19 games that season.

If we trade Asante this season, at least we still have Rodney and Eugene and Ellis and potentially Gay pending the draft. So there is nothing that different this year that would in any way negate the concept of tagging a player at more than you think he's worth with no intention of paying him that money short or long term and the very real potential to trade him under the presumption you could replace him between the roster, FA and the draft.

I see pats1 answered your question about what percentage of the cap the Colts top 3 are taking this season. (Although Freeney's hit will increase once the exclusive top five is calculated later this month, probably to $10.5M or so.)

But the thing to keep in mind when looking at one of these cap snapshots is Polian has restructured and heavily amortized Manning and Harrison's deals while the Pat's have not restructured or heavily amortized Brady's and Seymour's. I prefer for that reason to evaluate deals in terms of AAV. Manning's deal averages $14M (although it has yet to count against the cap for more than $8M+) and Harrison's $9M. Add that to Freeney's $10.5M tag and if not for creative cap bookeeping those deals would be accounting for 30% of cap payroll. Because of creative bookeeping they count for less this season, but will count for more one of these days...

By comparison in AAV Brady, Seymour and Asante would account for aruond 26%, while in actuality they are counting for just over 22%. Although with a little creative bookeeping of our own, simply converting Brady's 2007 salary to signing bonus, we could give Tom a cap hit lower than Mannings - which would place our top 3 well below their top 3 by every measure, as they truly are by several million. ;)

Wasn't Tebucky tagged as a safety,which has one of the lowest tender's.I believe it's below TE's,isn't
it???

* So what? The point was that I don't think BBioli thought he was worth it and they only tagged him to keep a hook in him and not let him walk away for free. I said whatever the tag was, no?

Fixed along with the links to the Dolphins and Colts cap pages

Just one (OK, two) more: :D

-On the transactions page, a 2006 heading should be added below the January 3rd transactions (Quadtrine Hill), and a 2007 heading above the latest transaction.

-On the transactions page, there should be a transaction for January 23, 2007 listing the signing of Brian Barthelmes, Danny Baugher, Sean Bubin, Quadtrine Hill, Matt Kranchick, Tom Malone, and Santonio Thomas to futures contracts.

-There should also be a transaction on 4/5 for Britt

But the thing to keep in mind when looking at one of these cap snapshots is Polian has restructured and heavily amortized Manning and Harrison's deals while the Pat's have not restructured or heavily amortized Brady's and Seymour's.

Huh??? Seymour's deal was restructured last year and then extended. Most of his 2007 and 2008 cap hits is from the amortization of his signing bonuses.
His 6.7 million cap in 2007 consists of 6 million in amortization. Ditto for his 2008 6.8 million cap hit.If that is not heavily amortized, I really do not know what is.

Hundreds of Asante posts and not one that I have seen mentions the coaching change between 05 and 06 and how #22 may have benefitted.

Count me as one who thought Mangini did a subpar job in 05 comparative to the magic of the previous few seasons. Pees and O-t-i-s made a tremendous difference on the 06 defense, and Asante reaped the rewards of being coached and schemed up.

-

I have no hard feelings toward Asante Samuel for doing what he has every right to do, and quite frankly would be stupid not to do. What that would be asking him to do equates to John Doe sitting in his job, knowing that there are other companies that think he is real good at that job, that would like to hire him, and may give him a large raise, and me telling him he is a bad guy to pursue those opportunities or to tell his current employer that someone else is willing to pay him more to do the same thing and he doesnt like that they wont.

I used to work with a guy who went through that. He applied for another position within the company. The job he held (he was a contract administrator) wasn't all that hot, but the higher ups put a lot of pressure on the guy. He told me he couldn't wait for Fridays, and that Sunday evenings began to to fill him with dread.

After the application was submitted, he was called into the office of his immediate superior on a Friday afternoon 10 minutes before quitting time. There were other wheels in the office with his boss.

The subjected him to a litany of "After all we've done for you, this is how you thank us!" type blather for over an hour, after which time he relented and agreed to withdraw the application.

I've lost track of the guy, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't work there any more.

Quite really, I don't think BB would pull something like that with Samuel.

At least, I hope not!

I haven't posted here too much lately. Lots of shootin' from the hip lately. That said, and to adress Andy's original comments:

First, I agree with Andy that Asante is as good as advertised. Yeah, he cheated up a bit and took a few extra gambles this year, in his contract year. Of course he did, you would too, in order to enhance your bargaining position within the company. The thing is, he didn't abandon his responsibilities within the scheme to do it, as PFiVa has pointed out with supporting stats. In previous seasons, Asante seemed to be around the ball a lot. I cant remember how many times I said to the Mrs., "man, if only he would start to catch these balls..." This year he started to catch those balls. So yeah, he is as good as advertised.

Second, I also agree with Andy about BB/SP always doing what is best for the team. This is where I must tread a divergent path with Andy and many others who have opined previously. Contrary to what Asante thinks, or what you or I would think, or even what many organizations would think, it is my belief that this isn't as simple as Asante has made it out to be. Its not about just how good Asante is, and how much/little BB/SP want to or can afford to pay him under this year's cap. This is all about percent of cap compared to what the value placed on the position is. Granted, Asante will quickly attain full value on any board that the team has on the position. In fact, I venture to say that he has seen offers that exceed it already. No, this is more about the teams philosophy about value vs. availability.

The team has several young players about to hit their first free agency. ALL of them are going to think just like Asante, and Branch and Givens before him. You or I would too. The team cant keep them all, or it will be in the same cap hell it was in before BB/SP came in. So they have to analyse which players are the least replaceable in their system, and weight the contracts to those players more heavily. It is apparent now that the brain trust places a lower value/availability on WR's than other teams in the league. With that position, its almost a "they're just like buses, another will be along in ten minutes." Time will tell what the braintrust thinks about corner. The fact that the team tagged Asante speaks volumes about what they think of his talent. Now if they can fit a long term deal that reflects their thoughts about the cap now and in two years, one will get done. If not, my thought is he plays this season under the tag.

Here I again merge thoughts with Andy. No way he sits out at the cost of upwards of half a million dollars a game. No way a draft choice replaces his value to this system this year. (however, if the full compensation was offered by the right team before the draft, perhaps the team considers the possibility of a 6 year deal with a rook of impact as an acceptable compromise?). So I say, unless a Detroit or Washington offers full value compensation, #22 will be playing in a Pats uni this season.

This was really a great thread to read. THere were IMHO more well thought out posts by more people than any recent thread I've read here lately. That is probably WHY I changed my position about 3 times during my readings. ;). At any rate here are my 2 Cents

1. The more I think on it, the more I believe that Samuel IS the real deal.

Last year wasn't a fluke, but merely the natural progression that we have seen from his kid over the past 4 years INTO an elite CB. He tackles well. I think he lead all CBs with tackles last season. He makes the big play. I think the point that his increase in interception has more to do with his new found ability to catch the ball, than his being around the ball, is an important distinction. He is simply a good cover corner, who NOW can make the big play.

BTW- we hope that Hobbs can make the leap from JUST defending the pass to taking away the ball this season.

2. We are all trying to speculate on the resolution of this impass WITHOUT knowing the 2 most important facts. WHAT are the Pats offering, and WHAT does Assante want. Well since no one knows for sure, I feel no guilt in speculating as well. ;) From all the rumors, we can reasonably guess that the Pats are offering something in the neighborhood of $6MM/yr with about $10-12MM Guaranteed. We are speculating that Samuel wants something in the neighborhood of $7+MM/yr with $18=20MM guaranteed. That is a pretty good gap, BUT not one that is insurmountable if BOTH parties are willing to compromise. A lot will depend on just how hard headed Samuel is in holding out for the last possible dollar.

To further complicate the issue, we have to try and guess what OTHER teams are adding to the equation. Just what ARE those offers that Assante is alluding to.

3. The other aspect of this that would be hard for us to figure out is exactly what the impact of any signing of Samuel would mean to the rest of the squad. Early I posted a hypothetical that the Pats would be able to sign only 2 of Warren, Wilfolk, and Samuel. Well the more money that the Pats give Samuel the MORE likely that this hypothetical will have to come to pass. Because as we should all know. The first rule of capology, is that for every dollar you give one player; there is one less dollar for everybody else.

So regardless of what our opinions are of whether Assante is worth what he is asking, the Pats FO HAS to deal with not only the initial dollars, but the ramifications of the size of the contract on the rest of the roster.

For example the dollars that weren't spent on Branch and Law, allowed the signings of Thomas, Welker, and Stallworth. The signing of Samuel to a max contract might preclude us being able to keep all three of those players mentioned, as well a raise expectations of the rest of the roster

4. I fully agree that Samuel has the right, or even the obligation to stimulate negotiations that weren't going his way. There will NEVER be a better time for a FA of his ability to be on the market. Its not about how much he is worth. In this market place, which is talent poor, and money rich, its about how much he can get.

The only thing I would complain about is that while he should be allowed to say or do anything that might enhance his position, he shouldn't be offended if the FO uses information that enhances THEIR position.

5.My only complaint with all the players is that they and their media minions try so desperately to portray the Franchise tag as something near to slavery, when it jusy ISN'T. The only difference between the amount of money that Samuel is likely to earn by being franchised this year and next, and what he would earn if he got a LT contract of his liking, is that under the franchise tag he would be required to EARN that money with his play. With the LT deal he gets his money regardless.

6. As to what will happen over the next few weeks? I think that there is a less than 30% chance that someone will come up with a trade scenerio that will satisfy the Pats. The most likely scenerio is that Samuel will sign his tender a few day before the last exhibition game and will play out the year. Like I, and others have said in the past, leaving $5MM on the table just for pride is not a good business decision. Besides doing it that would would only hurt the team he has to eventually play for.

7. IF there does happen to be a trade, I have to disagree with Andy about how big the loss would be. Granted I would agree that any CB that was picked would NOT be as good as Assante in his first year. HOWEVER I have seen this team defense do very well WITHOUT a shut down CB (2004), and with LESS talent that is likely to be available next season. If the right trade came along I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to pull the trigger.

BTW- An example of the "right Trade" would be a first round pick this year 15 or above, a sencond next year and a 3rd the year after.

8. As long as the Samuel camp doesn't get acrimonious, I don't think that this will have any impact on the team in general. Walter Jones was franchised 3 years in a row, and it never hurt the Seahawks lockerroom. I personally believed that Jones just used the franchise tag as an excuse to miss most of training camp.

9. I take offense to those who felt AJ's original post was too long. ;)

Last edited:
shirtsleeve said:
First, I agree with Andy that Asante is as good as advertised. Yeah, he cheated up a bit and took a few extra gambles this year, in his contract year.

This is why I wish there were "negative" stats somewhere on D players like TD's given up, completions to passes thrown to his man, missed tackles and the like. I'm not saying they'd all be bad, I'd just like to know.

shirtsleeve said:
The team has several young players about to hit their first free agency. ALL of them are going to think just like Asante, and Branch and Givens before him. You or I would too.

Some will some won't and resign. Some want every cent theycan get and some will take less to stay. I don't think they all think they same or will do the same thing.

shirtsleeve said:
The team has several young players about to hit their first free agency. ALL of them are going to think just like Asante, and Branch and Givens before him. You or I would too.
Do NOT include Branch in there...he never made it to free agency...you can include Graham and Vinatieri, but Branch is NOT in that category.

This is why I wish there were "negative" stats somewhere on D players like TD's given up, completions to passes thrown to his man, missed tackles and the like. I'm not saying they'd all be bad, I'd just like to know.

You can fnd what your lookng for in Scott Pioli's office, in a file marked "negotation"

Do NOT include Branch in there...he never made it to free agency...you can include Graham and Vinatieri, but Branch is NOT in that category.

Ok, that was a quote from me. So I will address that....with a....yeah, he never made free agency. The point was former Pats looking for a payday. And we need not stop with AV or Graham, either. The league is littered with them. The emphasis was on the point that anyone in a situation to demand more money probably would. Its human nature like Andy said.

Some will some won't and resign. Some want every cent theycan get and some will take less to stay. I don't think they all think they same or will do the same thing.

One would hope so, but if you were Big Vince, or Warren, and staying cost you millions of dollars, would you? I know that working conditions matter, and would sway my opinion if the deals were close, and other sources of revenue (ie: Vinitraitor) were in play. But I would fight my current employer like hell, or go to the competition if they would offer 50% more than my current employer. I dont know anyone who wouldn't.

Last edited:
One would hope so, but if you were Big Vince, or Warren, and staying cost you millions of dollars, would you? I know that working conditions matter, and would sway my opinion if the deals were close, and other sources of revenue (ie: Vinitraitor) were in play. But I would fight my current employer like hell, or go to the competition if they would offer 50% more than my current employer. I dont know anyone who wouldn't.

The Patriots have some players who could have gotten more elsewhere. A Thomas probably could have from te 49er's. Brady could have gone to the end of his deal, probably have been franchised and be in Samuel's position, and many think he took less than he could have gotten. Bruschi probably did his last deal. They are all individuals who do things for their own reasons, IMO. But many will just want whatever they can get, wherever they can get it.

But I would fight my current employer like hell, or go to the competition if they would offer 50% more than my current employer. I dont know anyone who wouldn't.
Don't get caught up in that comparison...firstly, how much really differ when you are earning that much a year?? I think that has as much to do with how it is structured and other details as much as the actual amount and more importantly, if teh competition was paying that much more, it would have MORE impact on your lifestyle than the difference in salary for multi millionaires.

Don't get caught up in that comparison...firstly, how much really differ when you are earning that much a year?? I think that has as much to do with how it is structured and other details as much as the actual amount and more importantly, if teh competition was paying that much more, it would have MORE impact on your lifestyle than the difference in salary for multi millionaires.

Ahhh....getting hung up in the minutia, and not considering the point. It was done to illustrate the point, not to be dissected word by word, verbatum and literally. The point is that many of us scoff at or think less of players who try to maximize their earnings. The comparison is to draw attention to and to focus thoughts on what the average person would do in similar situations. This alternative approach would then lead the reader to appreciate the viewpoint of the player involved (whether the reader agreed or not). In my initial post, I also tried to shed some light on what I consider to be the view point of the team, from a management perspective. Both are important to understand if one wishes to grasp the confrontation between Asante and the Patriots. The theme of my original post is to stand back, look at this thing objectively, and see what potential outcomes were likely. Without voicing an opinion of culpability.

A lot to read through but not a whole lot of new information. Samuel's pay me or trade me tactic is right out of player negotiation 101. One of the next steps in the manual is to say "I never will play for team X again..."

Samuel's ranking among the league's CBs is a topic of much debate, I see him as a young player who has gotten better each year, knows the system and has performed well in big pressure games.

I think they could "afford" to sign him for about $44, $10M upfront but don't think they will. He may have outplayed his value to the team. I think they stick with the Franchise offer and that is the way it stays until after the season. He misses all of training camp and comes in when the games start in September.

The leverage that Samuel holds is that the CB unit without him is among the worst in the league. Our starters would be Hobbs and either Chad Scott or Randall Gay, pretty scary. Even if a CB is drafted high it is very unlikely they would be anything more than a 3rd or 4th option in year 1.

The team can win with solid but not spectacular play from the corners but there would be a higher margin of error if they had a proven playmaker.

No, not true. In my lifetime I had several opportunities to work for more money at different jobs, and to change jobs within the company I worked for. Some I took, most I did not.

Anyone who goes to the highest bidder is a fool, in my opinion. There are many, many factors which contribute to amking life better for you and me, and money is not the be-all and end-all.

Earning $100K rather than #75K would not make a big enough change in the way I live to cause me to leave a place if I didn't think I would be happier elsewhere.

I cannot see that $25 mil over five years gave David Givens any better a life than $20 mil over five years. When you have that much money, that every conceivable need is met, you have to go for what situation will make life more enjoyable for you, not to rack up dollars like points in a video game.

Some people believe that whoever dies with the most money wins, but I disagree with you that everyone believes that.

What is important is that on my deathbed, will I regret taking that job in CT rather than staying in NH (I will not), or whether Givens (or AV or whoever) regrets leaving the Pats for a few dollars (only they know).

I have quite a few regrets in my life, but not one is about not going after every buck I could get my hands on. More money does not equal more respect or a happier life.

No, not true. In my lifetime I had several opportunities to work for more money at different jobs, and to change jobs within the company I worked for. Some I took, most I did not.

Anyone who goes to the highest bidder is a fool, in my opinion. There are many, many factors which contribute to amking life better for you and me, and money is not the be-all and end-all.

Earning $100K rather than #75K would not make a big enough change in the way I live to cause me to leave a place if I didn't think I would be happier elsewhere.

I cannot see that $25 mil over five years gave David Givens any better a life than $20 mil over five years. When you have that much money, that every conceivable need is met, you have to go for what situation will make life more enjoyable for you, not to rack up dollars like points in a video game.

Some people believe that whoever dies with the most money wins, but I disagree with you that everyone believes that.

What is important is that on my deathbed, will I regret taking that job in CT rather than staying in NH (I will not), or whether Givens (or AV or whoever) regrets leaving the Pats for a few dollars (only they know).

I have quite a few regrets in my life, but not one is about not going after every buck I could get my hands on. More money does not equal more respect or a happier life.
I agree totally...and when you get to be talking mega millions...the lifestyle issue does not matter as much..

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back