PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Salary Cap for 2008 not looking so rosey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big deal. Brady's 2006 cap number accounted for 13.8% of the team's adjusted cap number.The Pats did not extend Brady then. Why should they be forced to do so in 2008???

I also say on the page - "Please note that these figures do NOT include any escalators or incentives that players may reach" but somehow that very important detail continues to be ignored. Please note that none of us know what players may/will suffer injuries during the 2007 season that may affect their availability for the 2008 season.

I didn't say anything about extending Brady but.. 2008 is a lot different than 2006, not so subtle differences:
- in 2006 Brady had 4 years left on his contract, in 2008 he will have only 2 which is in the general range of when the Patriots extend / redo their star players contracts
- in 2008 the Patriots will have about 10% of their cap free (12/116), in 2006 (may numbers may be off) they had over 25% free
- in 2006 only one starting spot was available (WR, and they assumed Branch would fill the opening)
- a lot more holes to fill in 2008 4 out the 5 CBs will be gone, at least 1 starting WR will be gone, an ILB will be gone

The sky is not falling and I can't wait for the 2007 season to begin, just pointing out that there is a cost to all of the acquisitions.

- in 2006 Brady had 4 years left on his contract, in 2008 he will have only 2 which is in the general range of when the Patriots extend / redo their star players contracts

Good point.

- in 2008 the Patriots will have about 10% of their cap free (12/116),

No one can not know in May, 2007 how much cap space that the Patriots will have free. Hence, my disclaimer on the bottom of the page. I will be moving my disclaimer to the top of the page and make it more pronounced.

- a lot more holes to fill in 2008 4 out the 5 CBs will be gone, at least 1 starting WR will be gone, an ILB will be gone
Teams lose players each and every year. This presumes that the Pats do not reach any extensions with their cornerbacks.

just pointing out that there is a cost to all of the acquisitions.
I am just pointing that there is no way to know the approximate cost now.

Good point.

Actually, it is not a good point. Brady would have 3 seasons (2008/2009/2010) left on his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News