PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Salary Cap for 2008 not looking so rosey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although we won't have a lot of cap space, I think we have a lot of maneurvability. As stated, Faulk, Colvin, Harrison, and a few others can be renegotiated or cut outright to give us a lot of cap space.

Jarvis Green's cap number jumps almost a million dollars next year. I wouldn't be suprised if we move him if Kareem Brown pans out as a solid back up. I don't know if a $3 million cap hit for a back up even a guy like Green is worth it.

I don't think we are in a lot of cap trouble next offseason, but we clearly won't have the cap flexibility we had this year.

Worrying already about 2008 without the 2007 season even being played yet. = STUPID POST/THREAD

Ok, I'm through worring about 2008. Now I'm going to start on 2009 and when I finish that, 2010.

But, I think 2011 is a little too far away to worry about right now.

I don't think the Patriots will be tight against the cap. The only guys who will need to be resigned are Bruschi (who could retire and won't command the same paycheck) and maybe Wilson. Asante needs to get an extension and Moss could always as well. Half the potential free agents may be cut by the end of training camp. The free agents for next year are...

Mike Wright, DL (RFA)
Tedy Bruschi, LB
Reche Caldwell, WR
Jabar Gaffney, WR
Randall Gay, CB
Tory James, CB
Atrell Hawkins, S
Larry Izzo, LB
Randy Moss, WR
Gene Mruczkowski, C
Mel Mitchell, S
Lonie Paxton, LS
Chad Scott, CB
Eugene Wilson, S
Billy Yates, G

The team will probably still have $10-12M to manuever next offseason, minus 2-3 for draft picks. So you're still looking at a potential 8M or so, maybe 5 of that to pick up a decent free agent or two. And they can always restructure a few contracts to open more space.

I don't think they'll have any problems with the cap next year.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm through worring about 2008. Now I'm going to start on 2009 and when I finish that, 2010.

But, I think 2011 is a little too far away to worry about right now.

I am waiting for the thread similar somewhat to this one that asks what our chances are in drafting Tom Brady Jr. in the 2028 draft :rolleyes:

That seems like plenty of money to me. Draft picks don't take up that much space and they can always rework some contracts to create some wiggle room.
You need about $5 million for draft CAP space. Mysteriously (Like this was not a game plan), with the draft as weak as it was, the Pats only take one day one pick and swap into next year with two healthy picks in 2008. With Merriweather and the Jags (good rock band name) of this draft, no way they spend all $5m.

The second day draft choices would have to use a bowling ball bag for a athletic supporter if they try holding out. I can here the conversation now. At least their agents' cell phone minutes won't take a hit.

"Hello, Mr. Belichick?, This is Melvin Finkelstein of Finkelstein and Ali El'Akbar Sports Marketing. Our client was drafted by your Club for his very fine college resume. Although he was never seen or heard of on a national TV game, we can't believe he lasted that long. We would like to discuss the possibility of getting our client the financial package that we believe he is deserving and to our concern, somewhat over your original offer........Hello!, Hello! Mr. Belichick? I can't hear you...Was that giggling? I seemed to have lost you after that loud click. Ah, come-on Mr. Belichick?.... Hello?"

Perhaps one or two second day choices make it (can't see anyone else new beating anyone we have). We are not going to sign Moss, Stallworth and Washington in 2008. Gaffney and Caldwell's contracts are done. You'll have Welker and Jackson (maybe) and I see only two or three of the five at the most, if some don't get cut this year. That is a bunch of CAP dough saved.
With the CAP increase, we should be healthy, not as good as this year but not too bad.
DW Toys

I am waiting for the thread similar somewhat to this one that asks what our chances are in drafting Tom Brady Jr. in the 2028 draft :rolleyes:

Ask our agent in waiting here, Mr. "signbabybrady"...for the terms and conditions of the deal he has alredy struck.

Quick, somebody get on the phone to Patriots Headquarters, and see if anyone there has thought about the implications of all of this on 2008!! Is anyone there planning ahead for the salary cap? Maybe they need to hire someone to get after that!

I think we need to fire Belichick and Pioli because according to the original post they screwed the cap space for next year and beyond and we should simply make the right choice and hire DaBruinz to manage all of the team and its financial matters.

In 2008 and beyond we are DOOMED!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
If Na'Polian can do it in Indy, our FO can do it. Quit worrying.

Quick, somebody get on the phone to Patriots Headquarters, and see if anyone there has thought about the implications of all of this on 2008!! Is anyone there planning ahead for the salary cap? Maybe they need to hire someone to get after that!

No kiddin'... And request that the new genius call me when we are over the cap with 39 players signed pending restructures and extensions 'cause then I'd have to gear up to worrying about how we will ever afford to sign our 5 or possibly 6 day one picks 14-15 months from now. :eek:

I had just read the thread where they mentioned that Brady adjusted his contract and such and took a look at the futures page that Miguel has set up and I am a bit frightened.

Going into 2008, the Pats currently have 39 players signed and only 13.4 million in free cap space. Now, I do understand that Stallworth's cap hit and Washington's cap hit are fake. That does free up another 12 million. However, that doesn't include Asante and it doesn't include this year's picks.

Nor does it include the 5 1st day picks that the Pats are likely to have next year.

13.4 million to sign 15 players, 8 practice squadders, and cover people on IR isn't that much...

Now, ways that the Pats can free up a LOT of money? Cut Rosey Colvin and his 7.3 million contract. Or negotiate an extension. Negotiate an extension for Seymour, lowering his cap hits. Cut or re-negotiate Kevin Faulk's contract. Cut or Negotiate an extension for Harrison if he doesn't retire.

2008, almost certainly, looks to be a re-tooling year. Regardless of what happens this year.

Things that are not mentioned.
1.) tenders to the ERFAs and RFAs
2.) escalators to Wilfork/Watson/Hill/Warren
3.) the likelihood that the Pats will use the phony LTBE move to move some of the 2007 cap space into the 2008 cap year.
4.) the likelihood that the 32 NFL teams will underspend this year which will cause an increase in the 2008/2009/2010/2011 caps.

So what are the odds that we pay both Stallworth AND Washington the big roster bonus, AND we give Moss a new big contract?

If all three pay so well that we cannot afford to let even one go, then we will have the best set of wide receivers in this and all alternate universes from here to infinity.

Does this mean I can drive to alternate universes in my Infinity?

If you're looking to make a FA splash next year, on par with Adalius Thomas, Donte Stallworth, Kelly Washington, Wes Welker, Randy Moss and Tory James, that's not likely to happen.

But realize what has made this type of a huge offseason possible: last year, the team had reserved cap space to sign Ty Law and Deon Branch, and that cap space wasn't consumed. Most of it was pushed into 2008 using LTBE incentives, etc.

This is a one-time hurrah, blowing the wad of spare cash the the FO has been carefully hording for the future... meaning now. It's a luxury that the team has earned by playing with Caldwell and Scott, instead of Branch and Law. And now, that is paying dividends.

The cap situation for next year isn't bad, compared with historics. It's bad compared with 2007 offseason, which will be remembered as one of the most remarkable in franchise history. 2008 will certainly not replicate it.

The only other thing I want to say is, whoever proposed the idea of cutting Colvin next year... wtf are you thinking? Shame on you. Replacing him is not a matter of finding a FA or taking a guy in the 2nd round who looks promising. He's part of Belichick's core team, and will not be cast aside casually, especially to save cap space. He's one of the guys that we're saving cap space for.

I think you're just overreacting. The Pats will be fine. enjoy the ride.

If Colvin plays good again cant we just try to re negotiate that contract so it isnt so much.

Colvin's contract is a bargain by 2007 cap standards. He signed a 6 year $25M with just $6M in signing bonus. He averages $3M per less than Thomas. His caps are creeping up only because he did simple restructures twice to help the team out with cap. See, talk like cutting Colvin because of his contract is the price players pay for doing nothing more than agree to getting paid in a lump sum before the season rather than in 17 increments in season. Sometimes that results in a team cutting a veteran even though the players actual salary in a given year isn't an overpayment. Colvin's salary this year is $4.6M. Next year it's $5.5M. But seeing as he's only 30 this fall, and he's a pretty reasonable guy who loves being part of the core here, we should be able to extend him another 2-3 years at still reasonable numbers and lower his 2008 and 2009 cap hits appreciably.

This this draft will hurt us as well, it looks like more than 1/2 the players drafted will be cut. And most of those who do make it will be on the practice squad. We can't sign a ton of veteran FAs every year, but lets enjoy this year and let BB and SP (or whoever else is in charge) worry about it in 2008.

I had just read the thread where they mentioned that Brady adjusted his contract and such and took a look at the futures page that Miguel has set up and I am a bit frightened.

Going into 2008, the Pats currently have 39 players signed and only 13.4 million in free cap space. Now, I do understand that Stallworth's cap hit and Washington's cap hit are fake. That does free up another 12 million. However, that doesn't include Asante and it doesn't include this year's picks.

Nor does it include the 5 1st day picks that the Pats are likely to have next year.

13.4 million to sign 15 players, 8 practice squadders, and cover people on IR isn't that much...

Now, ways that the Pats can free up a LOT of money? Cut Rosey Colvin and his 7.3 million contract. Or negotiate an extension. Negotiate an extension for Seymour, lowering his cap hits. Cut or re-negotiate Kevin Faulk's contract. Cut or Negotiate an extension for Harrison if he doesn't retire.

2008, almost certainly, looks to be a re-tooling year. Regardless of what happens this year.

Worrying already about 2008 without the 2007 season even being played yet. = STUPID POST/THREAD

Not nearly as stupid as speculating whether or not a WR who isn't even on the team is going to get cut in training camp. And, if you stop and think about it, you'd understand that the 2007 signing have a direct impact on 2008.

If Stallworth and Washington's contract's have fake years (they do), than 13.4M isn't an accurate figure. Also, with the cap increase they'll probably gain 5M in cap space.

Actually, I was going by MIGUEL'S numbers. And, I am pretty certain that 13.4 million is as accurate as Miguel can get, all things considered. And he's usually within 1% of the actual number.

And they aren't FAKE years, they are OPTION years that may or may not be picked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back