PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RUMOR: Revis "to hit the market?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to agree with you. It makes no sense to cut him, carry that 5 million dollar cap hit, and then turn around and re-sign him to some huge deal (thus eating up more cap space). The Pats would be better off picking up the 20 million, spend the year trying to extend him, get another season out of him (could he really complain about playing for 20 million?), and then get the 3rd round comp pick if he leaves after next year.

But remember,t eh Pats have to spend a ton of cash. A huge deal with Revis with up front Bonus (to spread the hit) would help accomplish that, right?

But remember,t eh Pats have to spend a ton of cash. A huge deal with Revis with up front Bonus (to spread the hit) would help accomplish that, right?

But they still have to stay under the salary cap. So taking a 5 million dollar dead money hit and then trying to sign him to a contract, which will require oodles of cap space in the first year (pro-rated portion of signing bonus, et al) just wouldn't work.

As of today, (again according to Miguel) the Pats are about 5 million over the cap. If they cut Revis, they would be 15 million under (lose the 20 million salary, keep the 5 million cap charge from the pro-rated portion of his signing bonus). True they could structure the contract that the first year's salary is really low and off-set that with a huge signing bonus that you can spread out over the life of the contract, but it make no sense.

If I was running the Pats, I would pick up the 20 million option, if you can't come to a deal before Tuesday. If they cut him, I highly doubt they re-sign him after that.

Question - and I might be crazy - is it actually possible the McCourty/Big Vince twists and turns this week are a way of heading towards being under the cap to actually consider keeping Revis at the crazy numbers ?

They'd still have some way to go to get under. And it seems uncharacteristic for BB to keep a guy at that number...

But they still have to stay under the salary cap. So taking a 5 million dollar dead money hit and then trying to sign him to a contract, which will require oodles of cap space in the first year (pro-rated portion of signing bonus, et al) just wouldn't work.

As of today, (again according to Miguel) the Pats are about 5 million over the cap. If they cut Revis, they would be 15 million under (lose the 20 million salary, keep the 5 million cap charge from the pro-rated portion of his signing bonus). True they could structure the contract that the first year's salary is really low and off-set that with a huge signing bonus that you can spread out over the life of the contract, but it make no sense.

If I was running the Pats, I would pick up the 20 million option, if you can't come to a deal before Tuesday. If they cut him, I highly doubt they re-sign him after that.

They cant pick up the option without making some more moves right now to clear another few million to afford the option, right?

Giving him a big signing bonus relieves a lot of the excess cash and can lower this year's cap hit.

@MadDogRadio
.@AdamSchefter tells @AdamSchein he expects #Jets will attempt to pay Darrelle Revis "anything he wants", and says it'll come down to NE/NYJ

Retweeted by Andy Hart

Hey Rog, where you at on those tampering charges filed by the Pats over a month and a half ago.

Seriously, it's like the Jets are just flaunting it in new Englands face with how bad they're tampering right now through the media.

It's the absolute definition of tampering.. the owner blatantly states his desire for him in a PRESS CONFERENCE and now are leaking out reports to the media that they'll pay Revis whatever he wants, which Revis and his agent can use to drive his price up when negotiating with the Pats.

This is complete ******** if they're not punished for tampering, a year after they were already warned not to do it..

It's unbelievable.. if Goodell does nothing, the nfl front office is in bed with the NY teams and showing favorism, allowing them to do whatever the #&%× they want without consequence while they punish the Pats severely for everything to the letter

Just got an update on TeamStream from Bleacher Report (take it for what it's worth), Jason Cole says Pats will decline the option, more info by Monday.

Very vague.

Just got an update on TeamStream from Bleacher Report (take it for what it's worth), Jason Cole says Pats will decline the option, more info by Monday.

Very vague.

where do you see this. I watched his latest video and he said nothing of the sort

Very vague.

Were there people who actually thought that option was ever gonna be picked up?

jason cole essentially said the patriots will know by Sunday if they are going to re-sign revis. if not, t hey will cut him because they will not pick up that option.

i dont know where strngplyr got what he wrote. the didnt say they were going to cut him like the poster implies, its a mischaracterization of what was said

It better get done by Sunday, Revis would be an ass to make us waste 5 million in cap space to cut and resign him just so he can get serenaded by the Jets. That 5 mil could cost us McCourty or a very good player. Everyone is already tampering, Revis knows what's out there get it done or dont. If they cut him he's gone because they have all the info right now to get a deal done and save 5 mil in dead cap.

da75448d524d1291b007e48837076642.jpg

thats so misleading regarding what was actually stated in the article/video....wow...the article actually states patriots "confident" of signing revis

The 5 million will hit the books no matter what. Even if there is an extension, it hits the books.
It would be funny if they wait until Monday to cut him so he can't get a jump start on FA. He can't even discuss it over the weekend without it being tampering.

The 5 million will hit the books no matter what. Even if there is an extension, it hits the books.
It would be funny if they wait until Monday to cut him so he can't get a jump start on FA. He can't even discuss it over the weekend without it being tampering.
It doesn't matter if it is part of a new extension, but if theres 5 million dead cap and a new contract because they had to cut Revis first then its a complete waste of basically enough cap to resign McCourty (year 1 hit)

It doesn't matter if it is part of a new extension, but if theres 5 million dead cap and a new contract because they had to cut Revis first then its a complete waste of basically enough cap to resign McCourty (year 1 hit)
Cut and re-sign vs. just an extension, the treatment of the 5M is the same.

Cut and re-sign vs. just an extension, the treatment of the 5M is the same.
How does that work exactly? Can't the 5 million be part of the extension?

Not if they cut him it becomes deal money. Good thing we won the Super Bowl because it looks like we really screwed ourselves with the cap I have never seen it so bad in Belichick's tenure.

If it were a salary it could be. It was paid last year as a bonus so it was spread over the 2 years of last year's contract, 5 last year and 5 this year. The 20M is new money so this year's cap hit is 25M. If cut, it's just 5M frorm last year.

If extended it's 5M + prorated new contract. Miguel sometimes chimes in as he's an expert but I'm pretty sure that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back