PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RUMOR: Revis "to hit the market?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
da75448d524d1291b007e48837076642.jpg

How don't i have these jobs? Any one of us could have said this weeks ago...

If it were a salary it could be. It was paid last year as a bonus so it was spread over the 2 years of last year's contract, 5 last year and 5 this year. The 20M is new money so this year's cap hit is 25M. If cut, it's just 5M frorm last year.

If extended it's 5M + prorated new contract. Miguel sometimes chimes in as he's an expert but I'm pretty sure that's it.
Damn that's unfortunate, hopefully they resign Revis, McCourty will be gone then imo.

If it were a salary it could be. It was paid last year as a bonus so it was spread over the 2 years of last year's contract, 5 last year and 5 this year. The 20M is new money so this year's cap hit is 25M. If cut, it's just 5M frorm last year.

If extended it's 5M + prorated new contract. Miguel sometimes chimes in as he's an expert but I'm pretty sure that's it.

You've got it right. If Revis is still on the team next year, whether or not it's "dead money" versus a "live charge" to Revis is inconsequential. That $5 gets added to the 2015 salary cap regardless (even if he's cut).

For example, suppose the Pats sign him to a 5 year, $80M extension. Structured like this:
Signing bonus: $12.5M
2015 salary: $7.5M
2016 salary: $12.5M
2017 salary: $12.5M
2018 option bonus: $10M
2018 salary: $12.5M
2019 salary: $12.5M

Then his new money salary cap hits look like this:
2015: $10M
2016: $15M
2017: $15M
2018: $20M
2019: $20M

And then the $5M existing salary cap charge for his signing bonus last year gets added to the 2015 cap charge (for a total charge of $15M associated with Revis). The above is true regardless of whether that contract is signed right now before he is cut, or if he is cut and then that same contract (dollars and structure) is agreed to thereafter.

The Pats will not decline to pick up the option until 5 seconds before they have to. They are not giving anyone a head start on Revis.

According to Gasper, the Jets plan to pay Revis like a QB. Are they really going to pay him $20 million a year? That is stupid money.

According to Gasper, the Jets plan to pay Revis like a QB. Are they really going to pay him $20 million a year? That is stupid money.
That's outrageous IMO. Don't care how good Revis is, a contract like that at 30 is a no thanks. Hopefully he doesn't get enticed by that...somehow.

I agree, McCourty can be replaced by Harmon+whoever is signed with the extra cap space. Revis is irreplaceable just because a guy like him comes around once a decade

jason cole essentially said the patriots will know by Sunday if they are going to re-sign revis. if not, t hey will cut him because they will not pick up that option.

i dont know where strngplyr got what he wrote. the didnt say they were going to cut him like the poster implies, its a mischaracterization of what was said

I don't read/watch B/R videos, I got the popup on my phone, posted what it said, obviously we all knew we were declining the option, but the popup said we'll know if he's hitting the market by Monday, which almost semi hinted that they're actively working on a new deal if they're declining the option AND unsure he's hitting the market.

Probably should be a thread of its own, but there are way too many Revis threads already.

Who were you more anxious about re-signing, Moss in '08 or Revis this year?

The Pats will not decline to pick up the option until 5 seconds before they have to. They are not giving anyone a head start on Revis.

They will because the option isn't due to be picked up until April 1st and barring a few other moves instead we are still over the cap, which I believe we need to be under before March 10th.

I can't imagine we're waiting until April to hear about Revis unless a Mayo restructure/paycut or Amendola paycut/cut is announced in the next 3 days.

Question.

How many good players are worth losing just to bring back this one player?

I'm not sure that I understand the question. The 2015 cap hit for Revis on a new contract can be as little as $5M, putting us $10M UNDER the cap after we signed Revis to a 4-5 year deal. If we cut Revis, we could free up only $5M of additional 2015 cap room.

The only scenario where we need to ask who must be cut to keep Revis would be if the patriots picked up the option and were over $4M over the cap. IMHO, to do this in order to have Revis for only one year would be very, very short-sighted.

All this talk that the Jets make more sense for Revis doesn't make sense to me. Yes, if it about money, then they might be better because I believe that Woody Johnson is prepared to pay stupid money for him.

But this whole "The Jets will build the team around Revis and Revis has a chance to bring a Super Bowl to the Jets" doesn't make sense. When has a team ever built a Super Bowl champ around a LCB? What has this Jets' team shown that they can put together a Super Bowl winner? Who is playing QB on the Jets?

Yes, if Revis was able to bring a Lombardi to the Jets, his legacy would be greater than if the Pats win the next two Super Bowls. But right now, which is more likely? Revis winning another Super Bowl or two with the Patriots or the Jets winning a Super Bowl before he retires? If he is concerned with his legacy over money, the safer bet is the Patriots.

They will because the option isn't due to be picked up until April 1st and barring a few other moves instead we are still over the cap, which I believe we need to be under before March 10th.

I can't imagine we're waiting until April to hear about Revis unless a Mayo restructure/paycut or Amendola paycut/cut is announced in the next 3 days.

They need to make their decision on the option within the next several days, don't they?

Where does anything about April come in? I thought it was due on 3/10 coinciding with the start of free agency. Is this incorrect?

Edit: never mind. They do need to make their decision in the next few days, although you are correct about when it is actually payed out in April.

I will collapse with a sigh of relief if I see that news on Sunday.
That was kind of misleading, Cole said expect the Pats to make a decision on him by Sunday.

If the cut Revis the Pats lose $5m in cap space.

????????

There are ZERO dollars lost in cap space by cutting Revis. The patriots would gain $20M of cap space. The $5M associated with last year's contract will hit the 2015 cap no matter what the patriot's choose to do.

No they don't pay the option until April, but they have to pick up by the first day of the NFL year.

If dmac is gone then could they afford a player on the d line? Would be nice.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back