PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Robert Kraft defends Roger Goodell: "The way he has handled this situation is excellent"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This situation is far too messy. Kraft should remain quiet on this one and let Goodell leave quietly and without fanfare.

You're right, but they are going to do just the opposite and Kraft speaking out is a message to the other owners to get in line and stand by Goodell.

Roger doesn't like looking at tapes. He destroyed the SpyGate tapes and ignored the Rice tape. Kraft, likely appreciative of the Goodell's videophobia past and present, has provided a little "return the favor" cover from the "outrage of the day" critics.
(Written partially in jest.....but ........haven't read about any other owner daring to speak up for Rog............................. ..........I see black helicopters overhead....near the grassy knoll)

Goodell and the league is going to take a huge hit no matter what. An owner throwing Goodell under the bus will only worsen the situation.

I don't think there is anything they can do to not take a big hit here. I think all they can do is minimize the damage.

I understand that. The part I disagree with is your statement that "defending Goodell is what is best for the league".

Keeping quiet and letting things ride out is one thing. I certainly wouldn't expect the owner's to throw Goodell under the bus, certainly not at this point, and only as a last resort if things became too hot for them. But publicly defending the boob who admitted that he screwed things up in the first place is just fanning the flames.

You're right, but they are going to do just the opposite and Kraft speaking out is a message to the other owners to get in line and stand by Goodell.

I think this is very insightful. Kraft speaking out publicly sends a message to the owners. Unfortunately, it also sends a message to the public.

Goodell and the league is going to take a huge hit no matter what. An owner throwing Goodell under the bus will only worsen the situation.

I don't think there is anything they can do to not take a big hit here. I think all they can do is minimize the damage.
The owners, individually, should be saying NOTHING at this point. Anything any of them says about this fiasco either way potentially can make matters worse for all involved. Goodell is their mouthpiece and needs either to call a press conference and clear the air OR resign.

I wonder if his statement would have been the same if Myra was alive? Bob Kraft has done a lot for the Pats but standing behind a spineless commissioner who tried to cover up an assault on a woman is shameful. There is more to life than money and I hope a few of the owners have the stones to try and get rid of Goodell. Unfortunately our owner won't be one of them.

Perhaps so. Given the sensitivity of the matter along with the ineptitude that the league (Goodell) employed in handling such a matter, I can't imagine it would be in the best interest of any team owner to defend the league on this mater.

This is clearly a no win situation for any team owner. Best they remain quiet and let things die off without much additional incident.

I agree that you have to stand aside and let Goodell take the hit. Even if he's the fall guy, that's what he's been paid to do as some have expressed.

Goodell's silence on this so far is only adding to the issue and as someone said, this will come back and bite the league when they try and expand into Europe or even renew the yearly game contract. London has media too and this is juicy.

It hurts the league and they are panicking right now... don't think they aren't. They have a PR nightmare on their hands because it's not just NFL folks involved, this is national and this is worldwide now. This is the biggest sports organization in the US. The lawyers are scrambling.

To the public, you have what looks like a bunch of men, covering up for a violent man, committing a violent crime, in the name of making money. Whether that is reality nor not, something like that has little effort finding a means to gain traction.

I understand that. The part I disagree with is your statement that "defending Goodell is what is best for the league".

Keeping quiet and letting things ride out is one thing. I certainly wouldn't expect the owner's to throw Goodell under the bus, certainly not at this point, and only as a last resort if things became too hot for them. But publicly defending the boob who admitted that he screwed things up in the first place is just fanning the flames.

It seems to me this is going to either be a result of individual incompetence (ie., the commish) or NFL (the owners) policy and endorsement. This issue was handled badly, and that is unavoidable now as you cannot turn back the clock and take a mulligan. By endorsing the response of the commissioner you endorse the mishandling and adopt the position. The Commissioner gets paid a ton of money, so axe him rather than eating this PR disaster. Not smart to step into this national debacle by backing Rog. He should either weather the storm or burn for the mistakes. That's why he is there.

Goodell is the fall guy. This is why he makes the big bucks. Did Kraft get sentimental and forget this? Goodell takes it on the chin here so that Bob Kraft doesn't have to stand up in favor of hiding domestic violence and victim blaming. That is the whole point of Goodell's worthless existence! I just can't see any reason for this beyond cronyism.

They are panicking right now... don't think they aren't. They have a PR nightmare on their hands because it's not just NFL folks involved, this is national and this is worldwide now. This is the biggest sports organization in the US. The lawyers are scrambling.

To the public, you have what looks like a bunch of men, covering up for a violent man, committing a violent crime, in the name of making money. Whether that is reality nor not, something like that has little effort finding a means to gain traction.

The video is a smoking gun, and the league got burned. The alternatives for the league right now are (1) they knowingly covered up a violent crime in the name of making money, (2) they failed to do due diligence to obtain the evidence before passing judgment, and compounded it with a slap on the wrist that was egregious even at the time. Either way the league comes out looking inept or worse. The best thing the owners could do right now is keep quiet and hope the public furor dies down, and let the Commissioner take the heat. All other options are worse.

I am saying that is what he thinks is right for the league. It doesn't mean it will be the right thing for the league.

1) The league has covered up for many violent men in the past.

2) Minor drug offenses have always been treated more seriously than wife-beating (or even murder).

3) Kraft is the spokesman for the owners and will (& should) always speak out on a controversial issues.

4) Blame Kraft for the decisions. Goodell is NOT incompetent. He does his job of serving the owners and the financial integrity of the game.

5) My BOTTOM LINE, is that the public will look and see a violent player on indefinite suspension for beating his wife. The fact that the initial suspension was only two weeks is worth lots of articles on the sports page.

6) The league is changing its priorities. Wife wearing is now starting to become more serious than minor drug offenses. Player safety is a #2 priority. This are good steps for the NFL. IMHO, Kraft and the public supports the NFL and its product.

One thing that is getting a bit lost in all of this is the victim blaming. To me, that might be the worst thing they did.

Without the facts, the NFL implied that this was Janal's fault in order to back up the light sentence. They broadcast that message to everyone. She was their 'fall guy'. How can Kraft want to commend this in good conscience?

Horrible decision by Bob to make this statement at this point in time.
Kraft supported the decision to indefinitely suspend Rice. And it is horrible that Kraft supported this decision?

I am saying that is what he thinks is right for the league. It doesn't mean it will be the right thing for the league.

Watergate wasn't about the bugging. It was about the coverup.

Kraft supported the decision to indefinitely suspend Rice. And it is horrible that Kraft supported this decision?

Kraft is saying that Goodell has handled this situation "excellent". You agree with that?

Kraft should have supported the decision a few Months ago. Now the NFL is in cover up mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe