Kraft named to Goodell's "Chairman's Committee"

Status
Not open for further replies.
is anyone surprised?

has anything changed?

NOPE

this is a non-story and I could have predicted it

there's a reason Menino stomped him

I agree with people saying Kraft sided with the other 31 and Goodell over Brady and Patriots fans. And I disagree that this is some attempt to simply oust him as possible revenge. That's just wishful thinking as others have said; nothing's going to happen to Roger at this point.

That said, that doesn't mean that Kraft and the other owners aren't doing this to prevent Goodell from embarrassing them on future issues. Below is an article from almost 1 year ago today:
Owners Reconsidering Roger Goodell's Power

Highlights:
"There probably needs to be a rethinking so that the league office and the commissioner aren't put in a spotlight in a way that detracts from the league's image and the game, even if the league office is doing the right thing, or the wrong thing, or whatever you think," [Jonathan] Kraft said to 98.5 The Sports Hub prior to the preseason game against the New Orleans Saints. "It probably needs to be rethought for the modern era that we're in and the different things that are coming up that I don't think people anticipated and how the public wants to see them treated."

"At the end of the day, our league consumes the country's consciousness for big periods of the year and what we're doing at the league level," Kraft continued. "And what the players are doing and coaches are doing should be the focus of how the public views us that vast majority of the time. I'm talking about all the things that have been talked about over the last year. I think it's a general big-picture issue that needs to be addressed, but I don't have any answers for you today."

At least one team owner- well, heir to the San Francisco 49ers empire and current team CEO- has quietly made his opinion known. In MMQB, Peter King highlights the fact that Jed York retweeted Schefter's original announcement of Kraft's thoughts.

What we're seeing is the end result of what Jonathan Kraft talked about. It's NOT an effort to try to oust Goodell. It IS an effort to try to prevent him from messing up in the future, and it gives them a vehicle by which to oust him should they ever reach that point (i.e. a report from the Exec Committee going out to the other 32 explicitly stating all the areas Goodell messed up with a recommendation and a rationale behind it; rather than haphazardly needing to make phone calls and have secret meetings to gather info).

And yeah, I still think Goodell probably thinks its good too because he thinks he can work the 5 key powerbrokers (besides Jerruh) so as to get the others to toe the line.

Last edited:
I'm curious about the political intent behind this. Could be:

- An attempt by Goodell to consolidate his power, by gathering the "most influential" owners together and pounding them into agreement so that the remaining 27 fall in line.

- An attempt by the 5 "most influential" owners to watch over Goodell to prevent him from screwing things up more than usual, as a curtailment on his power.

Possible that Goodell's intent is the former and the owners' intent is the latter. Note that MLB has a similar Executive Council whose official role is to "advise the Commissioner". It was the Executive Council (Bud Selig as Chairman) that ran the show for 6 years when Fay Vincent was ousted until Selig was officially named Commissioner.

Agreed about the curiosity of Goodell's intent. On its face this would seem an odd move by Goodell. While Kraft has certainly played some level of 'kiss kiss' with Goodell, there is also no doubt Kraft has acted/made statements that owners rarely do and ultimately pissed off team Goodell too. You don't reward even moderate levels of defiance in an exclusive club like this.

I think it is likely this is Rog's way of consolidating power by bringing Bob to one of the inner circles. Just because Goodell is dumb doesn't mean he is stupid. He can add up the number of his backers, then minus the number of owner's who may be holding a grudge, and then recognize he'll likely and eventually piss off some more of the backers. By returning some 'kiss kiss' he paves the road for potentially getting backing if/when needed.
This probably is a backroom, cesspool, corrupt, ivory tower elitist textbook move 101 to assure power. It just is what it is....

Is McNair really considered one of the most influential owners?

Is McNair really considered one of the most influential owners?

HOU is a top 10 TV market and McNair has always sided with the owners and Goody on league matters.

The PatsFans conspirators are on the case!

You hardcore Kraft conspiracy theorists need a God damn theme song or something. :cool:

Kraft and Goodell are joined at the hip. Everyone should know by now that what Bob DOES is what matters, not what he SAYS.

I agree with people saying Kraft sided with the other 31 and Goodell over Brady and Patriots fans. And I disagree that this is some attempt to simply oust him as possible revenge. That's just wishful thinking as others have said; nothing's going to happen to Roger at this point.

That said, that doesn't mean that Kraft and the other owners aren't doing this to prevent Goodell from embarrassing them on future issues. Below is an article from almost 1 year ago today:
Owners Reconsidering Roger Goodell's Power

Highlights:

What we're seeing is the end result of what Jonathan Kraft talked about. It's NOT an effort to try to oust Goodell. It IS an effort to try to prevent him from messing up in the future, and it gives them a vehicle by which to oust him should they ever reach that point (i.e. a report from the Exec Committee going out to the other 32 explicitly stating all the areas Goodell messed up with a recommendation and a rationale behind it; rather than haphazardly needing to make phone calls and have secret meetings to gather info).

And yeah, I still think Goodell probably thinks its good too because he thinks he can work the 5 key powerbrokers (besides Jerruh) so as to get the others to toe the line.

I doubt that the other owners would allow a smaller set of owners power over them. Let's say there's an issue with a Redskin's player, do you think that Snyder will for one moment let Mara have a say on the punishment. The whole reason, in theory, why there is a commissioner is so that each franchise knows that it will be treated fairly and that there will be no favoritism shown. This group will have ZERO impact on how RG handles discipline issues.

I doubt that the other owners would allow a smaller set of owners power over them. Let's say there's an issue with a Redskin's player, do you think that Snyder will for one moment let Mara have a say on the punishment. The whole reason, in theory, why there is a commissioner is so that each franchise knows that it will be treated fairly and that there will be no favoritism shown. This group will have ZERO impact on how RG handles discipline issues.

There are a number of owners who are ambivalent and indifferent in league matters. What they do care about is the $$$. As long as the checks are rolling in, they don't care.

For example, Paul Allen, owner of the Seahawks never attends owners meetings are rarely talks to Goody.

This is kind of like the old days of the Soviet Union when pundits would pore over pictures of the dais in Red Square on May Day to try to assess the relative power of each member of the Politburo based on where he was standing.

One thing I'm pretty sure about is that Goodell didn't decide to create this group on his own and then send out an email to the five containing words to the effect that "You guys are now on my Chairman's Committee. Meetings are at 9:00. Continental Breakfast at 8:30."

The only interesting question is whether the Committee was foisted on him because these Owners want to limit Goodell's autonomy after a series of embarrassments or whether Goodell was either told or was savvy enough to figure out that he was in trouble and so "suggested" the Committee himself and asked them if they thought it was a good idea.

If it's the former, then it's a signal to him that he's on his way out and, at the very least, shouldn't expect his contract to be renewed. If it's the latter, it's a smart play and probably buys him time to convince them to keep him around when his contract is up.

Either way, it's pretty clear that he's not going to be doing anything significant without conferring with these five owners.

Last edited:
Kraft played both sides in this like a fiddle while still backing the league over Brady. This shouldn't surprise anyone. Now he gets an even better seat in the Big Boy's Club.
Which will account for exactly zippo next time some team files a bogus complaint against the patriots.

It is amazing how perceptive fans are and what can be read into this innocuous move, not sure if there is a hidden meaning or any meaning at all to this..

Everything done by the NFL is not done because of a very minor equipment violation..

It could be the opposite, that Kraft was chosen to help keep watch and control the megalomaniac commissioner as he is out of control.. many assumptions are made about what happens behind the scenes of the NFL...

Last edited:
That old saw: "Keep your friends close, keep your enemies even closer" comes to mind. I would like to think this is so. BK is, if nothing else, a shrewd businessman and I would suspect, now has a 'handle' on the evil goings-on at Park Ave. Although if I were him I would hire a full-time espionage person to do nothing else but monitor and spy on that corrupt and evil pack of scum.

This Old House..krafty sold brady down the river to stay in good standing with his boys. i would trade kraft for a tennis raquet.

I can easily see this happening and trust me, I'm no troll.

FC is however, his bonfides are well established. He's a Jets fan who has been trolling this forum for years.

FC is however, his bonfides are well established. He's a Jets fan who has been trolling this forum for years.

Troll is a step up for a Jets fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye