PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss on BB future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly..."salary" and compensation are not the same thing. Just ask any CEO with a $500K salary and $50 mil in options.

We have no clue what BB and SP earn, but it is ABSOLUTELY INCONCEIVABLE to me that the Krafts would be stingy with them. These owners are much, much too smart for that.

Kraft ain't stingy! That we know.

I remember Scott Pioli being quoted before that he felt it was as big of a challenge to maintain a Super Bowl contender over the years as it is to build one from scratch. Maybe more so.

My guess is that both he and Belichick will ride this puppy until the thing falls apart or they get tired of football and need a break (ala Bill Cowher). Belichick probably looks at Parcells and sees that he never actually duplicated the success he had with the Giants and wonders if Parcells didn't bolt from the Giants whether they could had gotten one or two more championships.

Also, he probably remembers his Cleveland days where the owner totally threw him under the bus and figures he has it good with Kraft.

I don't get why people think coaches like Belichick long for going to another and creating a championship. Some coaches may like that challenge, but Belichick might like the challenge of remaining on top more. You didn't see Bill Gates leave Microsoft and start up a new company when his software dominated the PC market. Some guys can just see challenges and accomplishments in building on your success than seeking new challenges.

Don't forget if he wins three weeks from now, he will in position to go after a new challenge - the most Super Bowl wins by a head coach. I think he will be tied with Noll, but he probably wants sole possession.

IMHO, RK, BB and the Pats (throw Tom Brady in the mix as well) are the "NFL perfect storm" per se'. Rarely, especially in this day of mega egos, salary caps, free agency, and other issues, can a "perfect" situation like we have here come together. It is like a lining up of the cosmos. Even if we don't win the SB this year, does anyone doubt, that we will be contending for quite a number of years to come? I think not. I believe all parties involved afore mentioned will do what it takes to keep this sotrm brewing as long as they can.

EZ76

BB has the example of his own father to follow as well, who, once settled, remained a respected scout for Navy for his entire career.

No way to know whether this is total compensation or just salary, I've heard BB and Pioli basically have their own incentive bonus systems by which they have done well (no idea how true this is though).

Also, if that is just the top ten of all the coaches in the league, that's not bad at all, even if he's not #1 BB surely isn't being cheated.

I assume that one way or another BB makes more than any other coach. Kraft knows what he has and is relieved there's no salary cap for coaches.

Just occurred to me that the way the Patriots keep BB/SP's pay figures hush-hush could relate to how they handle player contracts.

Suppose you're a team that -- because of the nature of the salary cap -- avoids big-splash big contracts. Thump your chest and demand to be "the highest-paid XX in the league" and it's bye bye. Then how can the coach/GM possibly demand to be the highest paid? Yet at the same time, coach salaries aren't capped and give you a lot of bang for your buck. Even a "huge" coaching contract doesn't compare to a lot of player contracts.

So what I'd do is try to keep the coaching compensation numbers out of the media. And maybe structure contracts where a lot of the dollars are in arcane bonuses. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST