PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Veteran QB for next season (Flacco?)

varjao

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
The Pats will draft a QB this is almost a sure thing, maybe 2, 1st round and 4th or 5th.

Assuming they get one of the tops guys, even if he wins the training camp battle and starts, they will need a veteran to provide among other things, some mentorship.

Hoyer is gone (thank God) and I think it would be a good thing to make better choices here too, to have a decent backup in place, the guy might need to start 5 or 6 games, who knows.

Flacco is playing well in Cleveland, has tons of experience and a ring, and is a pocket passer, I believe the Pats will keep preferring pocket passers, at least I hope so, that's the way to win.

I don't see whole lot of names in this tier available, **** Chase Daniel's of life, bring a guy who used to be a starter and had a moment in the league.

I used to hate Joe Flacco from his Baltimore days but I think I'd rather have him than Andy Dalton, I'm not remembering any more names from this category of QBs. JimmyG would be too expensive.

Obs: Is Hoyer really gone, ************ if BB stays, I could see that, hope not.

Jimmy is the guy if they go that route. Still young ish and experienced in the system. He won't be expensive at this point due to the injury history and he only looked OK this year. But due to that injury history, the rookie will need to be ready to be called upon. Probably worth hanging onto Zappe also. At that point, maybe just start Zappe.

I thought at one time AJ McCarron was being looked at...he may be a decent stop gap as well. Even when out of the league he was playing....XFL yea I know I know...

See how Zappe looks. If he's good, start him next year and bring a rookie in for competition. Bring Grier back also, along with another vet if you want to create real competition.

If not, sign a F/A vet short term (Minshew, Flacco, Brissett) and use him as the bridge to the next guy, who you'd better take high in the draft. Take one, then bring another late round pick and/or UDFA QB in for good measure.

WTF please after all the Jump Ball Joe jokes we made.
Let's at lease grab some G-League basketball players for him.

The Pats will draft a QB this is almost a sure thing, maybe 2, 1st round and 4th or 5th.

Assuming they get one of the tops guys, even if he wins the training camp battle and starts, they will need a veteran to provide among other things, some mentorship.

Hoyer is gone (thank God) and I think it would be a good thing to make better choices here too, to have a decent backup in place, the guy might need to start 5 or 6 games, who knows.

Flacco is playing well in Cleveland, has tons of experience and a ring, and is a pocket passer, I believe the Pats will keep preferring pocket passers, at least I hope so, that's the way to win.

I don't see whole lot of names in this tier available, **** Chase Daniel's of life, bring a guy who used to be a starter and had a moment in the league.

I used to hate Joe Flacco from his Baltimore days but I think I'd rather have him than Andy Dalton, I'm not remembering any more names from this category of QBs. JimmyG would be too expensive.

Obs: Is Hoyer really gone, ************ if BB stays, I could see that, hope not.
Season 3 Whatever GIF by The Office

When he was with the Jets he was a great mentor to Zach Wilson and played liked Zach Wilson when called upon.

So basically we need someone to be a punching bag for a year while our newly drafted rookie learns...

Cam Newton?

In what sounds like an unlikely event given the reporting, if Belichick is still around I wonder if they make a play for Baker Mayfield? It seems pretty clear based on reporting that BB liked him in the 2018 draft before it was clear he’d be taken #1 overall. I wonder if he could fit out offensive scheme and provide competition for Zappe and any rookie they bring in?

In what sounds like an unlikely event given the reporting, if Belichick is still around I wonder if they make a play for Baker Mayfield? It seems pretty clear based on reporting that BB liked him in the 2018 draft before it was clear he’d be taken #1 overall. I wonder if he could fit out offensive scheme and provide competition for Zappe and any rookie they bring in?
Mayfield will cost significantly more than vet minimum which automatically disqualifies him from a BB built QB room.
Tv Drama GIF by Van der Valk

Here's 3 options for new QB plan:
- Go all out for Cousins + keep Zappe #2 +/or draft lower round with upside.
- Sign someone like Jimmy G, Browning, Dobbs as a middling investment + draft 2nd level QB (Penix, Nix, Mcarthy)
- Spin the dial and Draft top #1 (Williams, Daniels, Maye) + sign a Flacco/Dalton type vet bridge

Jimmy is the guy if they go that route. Still young ish and experienced in the system. He won't be expensive at this point due to the injury history and he only looked OK this year. But due to that injury history, the rookie will need to be ready to be called upon. Probably worth hanging onto Zappe also. At that point, maybe just start Zappe.
the only way i'd want Jimmy is if he's paid 100% via per game bonuses.. the dude legitimately can't last a season in the nfl

WTF please after all the Jump Ball Joe jokes we made.
Let's at lease grab some G-League basketball players for him.
No Jump Ball Joe. Cousins/Tannehill/Mayfield, and I freakin' hate Mayfield.

the only way i'd want Jimmy is if he's paid 100% via per game bonuses.. the dude legitimately can't last a season in the nfl
I think if it's Bill, he probably inks him to an incentive-heavy deal, usually his MO. So it might be "2 years, up to $20 million" but really only $5M guaranteed ($4M signing bonus plus year one salary) with a $1M base salary year one (guaranteed) and a $5M salary year two (non guaranteed) and then per-game incentives each season that make up the remaining $10M. So that would be something like a $300,000 bonus per game he actually starts each game for 2 years. So if he plays the full year in year one then you paid him $10M, if he only starts half the games then you only pay him $7.5M. If he gets hurt early in year one and washes out then you can cut him and only eat slightly more than the $5M signing bonus plus first year salary.

Of course if the rookie overtakes him for year two then Jimmy misses out on his chance to earn $5M, you might have to make a contract adjustment to give him a little cash as recompense in that situation.

I think if it's Bill, he probably inks him to an incentive-heavy deal, usually his MO. So it might be "2 years, up to $20 million" but really only $5M guaranteed ($4M signing bonus plus year one salary) with a $1M base salary year one (guaranteed) and a $5M salary year two (non guaranteed) and then per-game incentives each season that make up the remaining $10M. So that would be something like a $300,000 bonus per game he actually starts each game for 2 years. So if he plays the full year in year one then you paid him $10M, if he only starts half the games then you only pay him $7.5M. If he gets hurt early in year one and washes out then you can cut him and only eat slightly more than the $5M signing bonus plus first year salary.

Of course if the rookie overtakes him for year two then Jimmy misses out on his chance to earn $5M, you might have to make a contract adjustment to give him a little cash as recompense in that situation.
I think you would be hard pressed to get a starter to sign for $10 million regardless of terms.

I'd expect whatever vet they bring in, if the intention is them starting, the minimum dollar value is going to be in the 15-20 million range

not a lot of guys are going to take the baker mayfield prove it deals.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back