PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Kaczur has "significant" back injury

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't Fred Smerlas or some such do the depth chart on the site? I don't think it's a "Patriots" depth chart...

the staff at Patriots Football Weekly does the chart...owned by the Patriots

I brought this up as a possibility last week. Both Vollmer and LeVoir are too tall to play LG. Besides, with Kaczur out, we need Light, Vollmer and LeVoir to be our tackles,

We have Connolly, Ohrnberger, Bussey, the vet we just signed and any vets that we we are yet to sign. I wouldn't be surprised to set two vets make the squad.

What about Vollmer at LG and Levoir at RT? Not awesome, but LeVoir is solid.

I brought this up as a possibility last week. Both Vollmer and LeVoir are too tall to play LG. Besides, with Kaczur out, we need Light, Vollmer and LeVoir to be our tackles,

We have Connolly, Ohrnberger, Bussey, the vet we just signed and any vets that we we are yet to sign. I wouldn't be surprised to set two vets make the squad.

Plus Wendell and Larsen, all getting snaps this past week (minus new guy here) according to smy.

Ryan Wendell, Dan Connolly, Rich Ohrnberger, George Bussey, and Ted Larsen got snaps at guard

Last edited:
Is Nick's oxy dealer still in jail? Get this man some painkillers!

**** yeah. Take a seat Kaczur. Bum.

That's because you didn't bother to read what you just posted, and probably didn't bother to read what Rosenthal wrote, either.
Dude, seriously. It's just a poorly written sentence.

"Third-stringer Dan Connolly is up next" can easily be interpreted as either labeling Connolly a third-stringer in general, given the tone of the article, or a third-stringer at left guard.

This is especially true if you don't know anything about the Patriots. If I read this article as a layman, I would come away believing that Connolly is a last resort option at any oline position, because Rosenthal introduces him to the reader as just that: a third stringer--without ever talking about his history as our top interior backup.

Dude, seriously. It's just a poorly written sentence.

"Third-stringer Dan Connolly is up next" can easily be interpreted as either labeling Connolly a third-stringer in general, given the tone of the article, or a third-stringer at left guard.

This is especially true if you don't know anything about the Patriots. If I read this article as a layman, I would come away believing that Connolly is a last resort option at any oline position, because Rosenthal introduces him to the reader as just that: a third stringer--without ever talking about his history as our top interior backup.

Dude, seriously.... when did reading become a lost art in this country? Here's the breakdown of Joker's posts. Follow the bolded portions....

that blurb by Rosenthal is hasty and uninformed as far as I can tell...if Kaczur is starting at LG, that makes HIM number 1 on the depth chart, which makes Connolly number two, not third on the depth chart. Seems it's more of the same PFT bullcrap, trying to incite a controversy using rehashed, out of date and misinformed opinion.

you misunderstand...it's not homerism, it's REALITY, as of RIGHT NOW...Mankins is NOT with this team, have you missed that? Of course he'd be #1 if he were but the FACT is ,right now Kaczur is #1 and Connolly is #2.

I did...he listed Mankins as the #1 at LG...then he listed Kaczur #2 and Connolly # 3...a cursory glance at the Patriots depth chart as of TODAY, Aug 6, 2010 lists Mankins as the #1 and Connolly as #2 at LG. Maybe PFT should take it up with BB and the Patriots staff...

New England Patriots Unofficial Depth Chart

A PFT writer is more accurate than the Patriots roster depth chart? How exactly does THAT work?

Left Guard 70 Logan Mankins 63 Dan Connolly 69 Ryan Wendell

Right Tackle 77 Nick Kaczur 64 Mark LeVoir 76 Sebastian Vollmer
74 Thomas Welch

Depth Chart: Last Updated August 6, 2010

think I'll stick with the local team affiliated data rather than the PFT crap stirrers data

After claiming that Mankins wasn't on the chart and Kaczur was #1, he cites his source, ignoring the fact that the very source he's pointing to has Mankins at #1 and doesn't even have Kaczur at #2.

Dude, seriously.... when did reading become a lost art in this country? Here's the breakdown of Joker's posts. Follow the bolded portions....

After claiming that Mankins wasn't on the chart and Kaczur was #1, he cites his source, ignoring the fact that the very source he's pointing to has Mankins at #1 and doesn't even have Kaczur at #2.

yeah,I DID get that wrong...I thought there is no way a player can be #1 at his position and not be in camp,not want to be in camp and seemingly separated from the team for good. That still doesn't change the FACT that Connolly is the listed backup, not third string as "reported". YOU backed the author of that piece and his statement..what he said was wrong. Go ahead and slice it up any way you want to keep your perfect record intact, I will still have little respect for the work at that site

yeah,I DID get that wrong...I thought there is no way a player can be #1 at his position and not be in camp,not want to be in camp and seemingly separated from the team for good. That still doesn't change the FACT that Connolly is the listed backup, not third string as "reported". YOU backed the author of that piece and his statement..what he said was wrong. Go ahead and slice it up any way you want to keep your perfect record intact, I will still have little respect for the work at that site

You were wrong. According to your own "proof", you were wrong. Despite that, and despite you already knowing that Kaczur was ahead of Connolly at LG, you're acting as if the site that blew that is still correct when it obviously wasn't, since it didn't even have Kaczur at the position.

The FACT is that Mankins has been this team's starting LG, and would be today if the Patriots had worked out a contract with him. The FACT is that Kaczur was slid into the LG spot, seemingly as the second choice behind Mankins to this point in training camp, and is now out for some period of time. The FACT is that it's only now, after those two choices have both become unavailable, that Connolly is looking at being the starting LG in camp. That makes him 3rd string, no matter how you try pretending it doesn't.

I don't care if you respect PFT. That site's the National Enquirer of football, and I've criticized it many times. However, Rosenthal got it right this time, and you got it wrong, notwithstanding your attempt at trying to cut a fine point about Mankins and the depth chart.

Last edited:
I did...he listed Mankins as the #1 at LG...then he listed Kaczur #2 and Connolly # 3...a cursory glance at the Patriots depth chart as of TODAY, Aug 6, 2010 lists Mankins as the #1 and Connolly as #2 at LG. Maybe PFT should take it up with BB and the Patriots staff...

New England Patriots Unofficial Depth Chart

Who even cares what the unofficial depth chart says (and it's definitely not helping your case anyways). Of course Mankins is the #1 option at LG, we all know that. I suppose you're kinda right in the most technical sense, but in any practical sense Kaczur was option #2, and I don't see why anyone would even try to argue otherwise. And now we're down to option #3. Are you comfortable with Connolly as a starting guard? I'm definitely not, considering how unimpressive he was last season.

If there was ever a time for Ohrenberger to start justify being a 4th round pick...

Last edited:
No, I'm definitely NOT comfortable with Connolly staring at LG. I WAS hoping Kaczur would move into the spot and I'm on record here weeks ago in the O line thread. What Deus is harping about is I had the temerity to argue with one of his links. Look, he wins...what I don't know..I mean, for chrissakes,m you could argue the same damn thing with the same logic about Seymour last season, and Law, and Milloy, and Branch...and..well, why bother with this nit picky exercise in futility. Mankins AIN'T here and it looks like he's not going to be...you can dress this pig up anyway you want and it STILL comes out, Connelly is now starting left guard. You can call him 2nd string or 3rd string all season for all I care.

Can Brace block?

I can see a LOT of 2-tight end formations this year, along with a healthy dose of running the ball.

Of course, if Mankins comes back, that might change some.

I guess we'll all have to wait and see. Whatever happens, it's going to be interesting to watch, that's for sure.

From his twitter account:

Best wishes to Nick and hope he has quick recovery. From football standpoint, this isn't as much of a loss. Kaczur has been pretty awful past few years and on most plays where Brady gets pancaked...it is because he got beat out of his jock....light was pretty bad last year again as well.....I am guessing the mankind negotiations just got a little closer?

No, I'm definitely NOT comfortable with Connolly staring at LG. I WAS hoping Kaczur would move into the spot and I'm on record here weeks ago in the O line thread. What Deus is harping about is I had the temerity to argue with one of his links. Look, he wins...what I don't know..I mean, for chrissakes,m you could argue the same damn thing with the same logic about Seymour last season, and Law, and Milloy, and Branch...and..well, why bother with this nit picky exercise in futility. Mankins AIN'T here and it looks like he's not going to be...you can dress this pig up anyway you want and it STILL comes out, Connelly is now starting left guard. You can call him 2nd string or 3rd string all season for all I care.

I definitely get what you're saying, though I think the distinction with Mankins vs. Seymour or Milloy is that in the latter cases the Pats chose to cut/trade the guy. Because it was their choice to move on, it's not unexpected and, more importantly, it's planned. They could have had him, and they chose not to.

Either way though, I can see where you're coming from, and the real issue is that as of right now Connolly is a starting guard :eek:

Last edited:
The Patriots aren't planning to let him leave via FA, so his only option, at the moment, if he wants to reach it, is to sign his tender. Perhaps they might be able to work out a trade, but even that seems unlikely at the moment (although it's interesting that the Pats have drafted three interior linemen in the last two drafts. . . .).

If he doesn't, then he'll likely just go through this again next year, etc.

The rules of the uncapped year make this holdout (and that of Vincent Jackson, Marcus Mcneil, and Merriman in SD) different than what we've seen in the past.

Mankins most likely doesn't need to play another day for the Pats to become a free agent. Only the special provisions of the uncapped year made him a RFA. In any other year he had enough service time to be an unrestricted FA. I haven't seen anyone predicting that they will raise the service time requirement to 6 years under the next CBA. He doesn't need the 2010 season to count to his service time the way a holdout normally does.

The Pats could franchise him before the next season (be it 2011 or whenever the CBA is settled) but then he is at looking at a lot more in $ than the 1.5m he is set to earn this year.

The question is does he risk injury and the X million he can get as a FA the next NFL season for 1.5m this year. Without knowing his personal finances I don't know how anyone could predict that.

Last edited:
The rules of the uncapped year make this holdout (and that of Vincent Jackson, Marcus Mcneil, and Merriman in SD) different than what we've seen in the past.

Mankins most likely doesn't need to play another day for the Pats to become a free agent. Only the special provisions of the uncapped year made him a RFA. In any other year he had enough service time to be an unrestricted FA. I haven't seen anyone predicting that they will raise the service time requirement to 6 years under the next CBA. He doesn't need the 2010 season to count to his service time the way a holdout normally does.

The Pats could franchise him before the next season (be it 2011 or whenever the CBA is settled) but then he is at looking at a lot more in $ than the 1.5m he is set to earn this year.

The question is does he risk injury and the X million he can get as a FA the next NFL season for 1.5m this year. Without knowing his personal finances I don't know how anyone could predict that.

Very good points, and spot on. Because offensive linemen are considered one group for franchise tag purposes, I really doubt that Mankins would get tagged, since that would leave the Pats basically paying a guard top-5 left tackle money. In 2009, the franchise tag for offensive linemen was $8.45 million.

Re: Kaczur has "Significant" back injury--Reiss

I hope he gets well soon, but Kaczur just inst that good to begin with.

Agreed. He's pretty awful.

I look at it this way. This is going to give another player an opportunity to prove he can play, and he will...as the Pats will come out smelling lilke a rose with the current adversity. They always manage to take care of business, one way or another.

Its a shame Kaczur may be out for an extended period of time, but the Pats will do what they have to do to be successful. Of that, I have no doubt.

Chin up.
Every cloud has a silver lining.
All things happen for the good.
Troubles are often the tools by which God fashions us for better things.
Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.
Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.
In every NEGATIVE there is always a POSITIVE.

Anions
BOOM
Lawyered

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft