PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: James Sanders re-signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Reiss: Sanders Signs

Are you suggesting that sanders took less money for a backup contract ? and thanks for once again reminding us how dumb the FO is.

i have no idea how much money took, if they signed him as a starter, or if they signed him as a backup. but as a starter, hes less than the league average, meaning if there are 32 Safeties, hes not in the top 16. hence, less than league average. maybe there is talent in there, but he hasnt shown signs of being a very good player in my opinion. he knows the patriots dont have great depth at safety and by staying, he has a good chance to continue to start.

I am glad he is back in either capacity, starter or back up. He knows the system and a capable player if another player is brought in either via FA or the draft and needs time to fit in. A no-lose situation here. You either have a good starter or a quality back up.

Re: Reiss: James Sanders Signs

I count five, more than plenty, given that DeVree looked OK and has some game experience.

Baker and Watson as "starters"
Thomas, DeVree and Listorti competing

I don't agree with the need of a TE. We don't use them that much and with already 4 on the board we don't really need one.
Long Snapper a definite need though :D
Very good news this.

Good move. Very solid player. Not spectacular but worth having.

i have no idea how much money took, if they signed him as a starter, or if they signed him as a backup. but as a starter, hes less than the league average, meaning if there are 32 Safeties, hes not in the top 16. hence, less than league average. maybe there is talent in there, but he hasnt shown signs of being a very good player in my opinion. he knows the patriots dont have great depth at safety and by staying, he has a good chance to continue to start.
64 safeties as two are usually on the field

He could be one of the top 32. but either way he is young and knows what he is doing in our secondary. He and Merriweather are a pretty good pairing and only getting better. I would love to add a dominant guy better than Sanders but I would be OK if all we did was add Rodney back and had that trio again.

Last edited:

64 safeties as two are usually on the field

He could be one of the top 32.

yah i know. im saying the position he plays, hes not top 50%

This is an excellent signing. I believe that Evans said last week that the two of them would be back once the Cassel deal was completed.

Yes, we could use an upgrade, but that is true for lots of positions. I could see us going with Meriweather, Sanders, Sanders and Spann as our safeties. However, Harrison and Williams are still our there, as well as other free agents; and then there is the draft.

There are 64 starting safeties in the league, and my guess is that James Sanders is indeed in the top 32.

I count five, more than plenty, given that DeVree looked OK and has some game experience.

Baker and Watson as "starters"
Thomas, DeVree and Listorti competing

I guess I am just not that thrilled with any of them. I still cringe everytime the ball goes Watson's way.

yah i know. im saying the position he plays, hes not top 50%

who cares where he stands against the league anyway he knows what he is doing here and I am ok with him as starter sure I'ld take someone better and he'ld be great depth but as I added to my post Merriweather and Sanders are a good pairing that are only getting better.

i hope you guys dont perceive what im saying to mean i didnt want him on the team, i never said that. all i am saying is we need some upgrade there if possible

What is the buzz on Tank Williams recovery? He seems to be a forgotten entity at safety ....

Williams is a UFA. So, he's not in the picture at this time.

There are 64 starting safeties in the league, and my guess is that James Sanders is indeed in the top 32.

I guess Billdog should come up with the 32 better than him :D

Last edited:

I guess I am just not that thrilled with any of them. I still cringe everytime the ball goes Watson's way.

Why do you cringe? or are you one of those people who looks at the less than 50% of the passes his way were completed and ignore that only 4of them were drops and that many of them were actually either over-thrown, under-thrown, or thrown away? Not to mention the ones that the defense actually made a play on..

3 yr deal and took less to stay here :D no numbers yet

Solid player, glad he was resigned. I would love a big time safety, ala Ed Reid, as a starter and have sanders being a sub, but, i doubt that will happen this year (who knows.. been a CRAZY offseason so far :D)

Somewhere, in a dark and isolated room, DW Toys is kicking a kitten.

Why do you cringe? or are you one of those people who looks at the less than 50% of the passes his way were completed and ignore that only 4of them were drops and that many of them were actually either over-thrown, under-thrown, or thrown away? Not to mention the ones that the defense actually made a play on..

So according to football outsiders here are the catch percentages of the Patriot's starting receivers:

Faulk 78%
Welker 75%
Gafney 58%
Moss 55%
Watson 47%

I don't know, Watson seems to have alot more over/under thrown passes to him more then any other Patriots reciever, especially when you consider that your TE is typically your short to intermediate type reciever.

Maybe its just anecdotal but a lot of bad things seem to happen when the ball goes Watson's way. Drops, tipped balls for interceptions and fumbles. This guy has just not lived up to the hype.

Re: this is horrible news

he is awful!!! The worst coverage safety in all of football. Lets put away our homer caps. he was a liability. The games he missed were our best defenisve games - we were clearly a quicker defense without him.

Awesome. A good, young player who knows the system. I've been high on 36 for a couple of years. I'm glad he's back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes