PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: James Sanders re-signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Reiss: James Sanders Signs

With this signing and the Bodden non-signing, as of now it looks like a stud LB is THE prize that BB is looking for this year. So my money's on a huge FA signing (Suggs anyone?), or us trading up in the draft to get someone if need be. Doesn't look like Peppers is going to happen now either.

Suggs or Peppers would work nicely. Question is what will the Ravens/Panthers ask for compensation?

Suggs or Peppers would work nicely. Question is what will the Ravens/Panthers ask for compensation?

The starting point is 2 1st round picks to sign either to an offer sheet, so whatever we would trade for them would have to be less than that. If we were to somehow go for broke and spend 2 1sts, I would pick Suggs over Peppers without thinking twice - younger, with experience at 3-4 OLB, and probably easier to sign to a long-term deal. The big question is whether Baltimore would even entertain offers for him at this point, with Scott already gone. They would probably match any offer sheet made at this point. Carolina is likely to be more receptive to offers given that Peppers is older, has publicly said that he doesn't want to play there, and that they are in salary cap hell at the moment with his franchise tag a big albatross around their necks.

Hmmmm.... now do we put backup QB on the list, or just figure that'll hash itself out after the draft?
If KOC and MG were good enough to back up Cassel, why aren't they good enough to back up Brady.

3 yrs. 9M, with 4M in the first year. i wonder how this affects our pursuit of other FA's

James Sanders is the starter at strong safety in 2009. No chance Sanders got $4 million in guarantees ( and $3mil per ) to come off the bench. He is solid and he knows the system. All 11 starters on D can't be difference makers, you just can't afford it under the cap. Sanders is solid and won't hurt you.

3 yrs. 9M, with 4M in the first year.

Here's my 1st guess at the deal's parameters based on the above.

A $2.25 million signing bonus
with
salaries of $1,750,000 in 2009
$2,275,000 in 2010
$2,725,000 in 2011.

ending up with
cap numbers of $2,500,000 in 2009
$3,025,000 in 2010
$3,475,000 in 2011.

with
$2,275,000 in 2010
$2,725,000 in 2011.

ending up with
$3,025,000 in 2010
$3,475,000 in 2011.

I know I'm up against the Oracle here but I'm thinking more like $3 million signing bonus with salaries of $1m in 2009, $2m in 2010, and $3m in 2011.

with
$2,275,000 in 2010
$2,725,000 in 2011.

ending up with
$3,025,000 in 2010
$3,475,000 in 2011.

I know it's blasphemy, but I really don't see what BB has ever seen in this kid. He's mediocre at best.

I know it's blasphemy, but I really don't see what BB has ever seen in this kid. He's mediocre at best.

Mediocre, at best?

That's absurd.

I agree with bdog. There was a reason the Pats 3rd down D and red zone D was among the worst in the league (against a cupcake schedule). It wasn't Vrabel, it was the DBs. Rodney at his age rehabbing from another major injury is still way better than Sanders. Let's hope one of those 2nd rd picks is a safety. Rd 1 we need a CB.

That is highly debatable.

good to hear him come back. he's solid. you don't have to worry about him the majority of the time being out of position. this allows us to concentrate on LB and pass rushers which will make the secondary that much better.
Yes, Yes you do have to worry about him being in position. That his his biggest fault.
DW Toys

Terrible signing. A waste of $3m CAP space. Hope he is just a backup. Another headscratcher like yesterday.
DW Toys

There you are. I was getting worried about you. :)

i dont mind having him as a backup at safety, but as a starter hes below league average. i hope we can find an impact safety in FA or in the draft

A very astute observation sir. He is a Jag. The only positive is we need a backup. Let's hope we don't have to use him.
DW Toys

Re: Reiss: Sanders Signs

There are 64 starting safeties in the league, and my guess is that James Sanders is indeed in the top 32.

Nope, They will still have to draft someone to plat next to Merriweather.
He is 64 out of 64 then.
DW Toys

A very astute observation sir. He is a Jag. The only positive is we need a backup. Let's hope we don't have to use him.
DW Toys

Too bad he just got paid starter's money.

I guess the FO considers him more valuable than you do. Perhaps it's time to re-evaluate your position.

I'm a James Sanders fan, so glad to see him back. I suspect his contract will be for slightly bigger money than some are expecting though.

Way too much. $3 million a year!!! and we could have kept Vrabel for the same money. That a boy Reise. You are knocking them dead. Who hired that stiff?
Could Bodden have been signed for the same yang?
DW Toys

I agree with bdog. There was a reason the Pats 3rd down D and red zone D was among the worst in the league (against a cupcake schedule). It wasn't Vrabel, it was the DBs. Rodney at his age rehabbing from another major injury is still way better than Sanders. Let's hope one of those 2nd rd picks is a safety. Rd 1 we need a CB.

Agreed. This guy is terrible and we spend $3m to resign him. Is BB on vacation this weekend?
Worst safety in the NFL gets $3m per for five?
DW Toys

Yes, Yes you do have to worry about him being in position. That his his biggest fault.
DW Toys

No, he's one of the smartest players on the defense and is usually where he needs to be. He lacks top level speed but makes up for his deficiencies in coverage with his knowledge of the game by making good pre-snap reads. I don't understand the Sanders hate. He's not Ed Reed, but he's a good, young safety.

Agreed. This guy is terrible and we spend $3m to resign him. Is BB on vacation this weekend?
Worst safety in the NFL gets $3m per for five?
DW Toys

Your hyperbole weakens all of your arguments.

Are there measurables on Safties that can be looked at to determine their quality of play?

I know I'm up against the Oracle here but I'm thinking more like $3 million signing bonus with salaries of $1m in 2009, $2m in 2010, and $3m in 2011.
That's not possible because of the 30% rule that is in place because 2009 is the Final Capped year.

Future increases in a player's salary is limited to 30 percent of a player's base salary in 2009 plus his LTBE incentives. Example - A player whose 2009 base salary was 1,000,000, the maximum increase from year to year for the rest of his contraact could be no more than 300,000(30% of 1 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft