PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: James Sanders re-signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Reiss: James Sanders Signs

That's not possible because of the 30% rule that is in place because 2009 is the Final Capped year.

Future increases in a player's salary is limited to 30 percent of a player's base salary in 2009 plus his LTBE incentives. Example - A player whose 2009 base salary was 1,000,000, the maximum increase from year to year for the rest of his contraact could be no more than 300,000(30% of 1 million

Thanks for the lesson Miguel.

I too hope that we draft a safety in the first three rounds. I think most of us are on board with that. I would add my binky Rashad Johnson to your list of three safeties. Do they have a shot to unseat James Sanders? Sure, it's possible. I find it unlikely that any of the safeties in this draft would unseat James Sanders before the season starts. HOWEVER, it is certainly possible before the start of 2010 season.

The bottom line is that we all agree that we should use a top pick for a safety even though we just signed Sanders for $4M a year. I think most would agree that we should also add a veteran backup like Lew Sanders.

Maybe it was Reese that pushed for him? If they though so highly of him, they could have resigned him at some point during the past season. You have to give me that point Jack. BB was not fist fighting for him.

O.K. I admit we knew that he would resign some of the FA's after Cassel. I refuse to agree that BB thinks that there is not another Safety to be had. That is horse poop and you know it.

My only desire is we draft a Delmas, Chung or Moore and Sanders is a rotation guy. Everybody here that says they like JS will admit if these kids are drafted, they have a shot to unseat JS...agreed?
DW Toys

Well, Toys, Jim Leonhard didn't sign with New York and seems to be stuck in the weather. Anyone willing to drive a few hours in the snow to go get him and bring him to Foxborough?

NEWSFLASH: He already has, and has had for some time now, the starting job.

I think we're at the point where we're beating a dead horse here. But clearly BB feels Sanders is a starting-caliber player, and I doubt he feels that way because James is a really nice guy in real life.

hes a starting caliber player. that doesnt mean anything. deltha oneal too was a starting caliber player. pierre woods is a starting caliber player. there are a lot of starting caliber players in this league. we are an elite team and i am looking to upgrade wherever we can. he signed a nice contract. ok, that doesnt mean we wont look to upgrade him. im sure if have watched the pats play football you will see that his play over the last few years has been at best, average, most likely his play is below average. thats not to say he wont get better, its just the simple truth of the matter.

Well, Toys, Jim Leonhard didn't sign with New York and seems to be stuck in the weather. Anyone willing to drive a few hours in the snow to go get him and bring him to Foxborough?

I have a 4wd. Where is he? I understand he is only 5'9" though?Still a major upgrade over Sanders but probably more money.
DW Toys

hes a starting caliber player. that doesnt mean anything. deltha oneal too was a starting caliber player. pierre woods is a starting caliber player. there are a lot of starting caliber players in this league. we are an elite team and i am looking to upgrade wherever we can. he signed a nice contract. ok, that doesnt mean we wont look to upgrade him. im sure if have watched the pats play football you will see that his play over the last few years has been at best, average, most likely his play is below average. thats not to say he wont get better, its just the simple truth of the matter.

Excellent post and very rational. Notice nobody answered me: If the game was on the line and someone had to cover a TE how would you feel if it was Sanders....tumbleweeds blowing and I here the crickets....Nada from th JS fans.
I do not dislike Sanders as a husband, son or father but he has shortcomings as an NFL player and just because he plays for the Pats doesn't mean he is an All Pro. No offense to him or his family, he is a JAG and replaceable. He plays until someone better comes along.

I tried to rationalize this...They only had one Safety signed. I guess we had no choice.

DW Toys

I think its nailed on that we take one of those 3 safeties with our second rounders...

Who wouldnt be happy with say Peppers, Chung, Unger and Bawin ?

Glad we locked up our backup safety. Solid depth guy.

I agree with Michigan Dave, I think that JS has value and brings it to the team. I grant you that he hasn't played every down as an elite safety and on the odd occasion he has taken poor angles. But he has also made some spectacular plays which no-one has mentioned. A couple of hits last year were eye-poppers (though granted one was ineffective because a penalty was called). He has also made some incredible saves (I seem to remember a ball stripping in the end zone against the Colts). So he is solid and once in a while spectacular. Not bad for the money methinks.

I have to believe that BB, Pees and particularly Rodney see something there that we don't. Of course I would like an elite SS in there, but any elite FA is going to cost $40-50 million over 3 or 4 years and I am sure BB wants to spend his cap on linebackers, corners and possibly an RT (Neal is fragile and Kazur is inconsistent). Then there is the missing WR, which I don't think will come through the draft (TJ would be great but is still too expensive). So looking at all the holes, re-signing Sanders is better than signing a top 10 FA for that position and not covering the other needs.

I think he is the top 25-32 range, and better than Eugene Wilson who never lived up to his early promise.

And to answer DWToys question if I would feel comfy with Sanders lined up against Gates on the 15 yard line, the answer is no. But then I never feel comfortable when the opposition is in the Red Zone with play makers like Gates in the picture, even with Rodney! I am glad we have Sanders back, and I hope Rodney comes too ;)

His salaries are now on the NFLPA site.

They are as follows:
2009 620000.00
2010 2300000.00
2011 2800000.00

Given the 30% rule I suspect that Sanders received a substantial roster bonus for this year in lieu of or even well as a small signing bonus.

Sanders is a good starter. :D

Don't get me started! Starter?...A favorite on this forum....the ever cynical "No Thanks".
You are kidding right?
DW Toys

good to hear him come back. he's solid. you don't have to worry about him the majority of the time being out of position. this allows us to concentrate on LB and pass rushers which will make the secondary that much better.

Yes you do have to worry.

This is silly.......Sorry Cousins. I am boring myself. Enough of this. I apologize.
DW Toys

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back